Anagram Generator

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
JohnW

Anagram Generator

#1 Post by JohnW »

Anagram Generator is now available as a portable program.
I suspect it's too trivial to be considered by TPFC's intelligentsia.

But I like it!

It's mostly a bit of fun. It generates anagrams, solves lexigrams, provided lists of palindromes and lists rhyming words.

For me as a crossword puzzler, its main use is to do a word search where I have missing letters.

It's available from ...

http://softology.com.au/anagram.htm

Midas

Re: Anagram Generator

#2 Post by Midas »

If you don't use the installer method to create your portable setup, be forewarned that Anagram Generator requires an 'Anagram.ini' file to be present (with content below) or else it will complain about missing dictionary files.

Code: Select all

[Settings]
Portable=1
Non-existing dictionaries are still displayed in Anagram Generator's interface, plus the program is really only suitable for non-diacritic languages, as clearly stated by the help file: "The dictionaries for other languages do not support accents or other language specific characters."

Last but not least, here's the official interface screencap:

Specular

#3 Post by Specular »

Bookmarking! And thanks for the heads up above Midas.

smaragdus

#4 Post by smaragdus »

@JohnW
This is a nice find, thanks

@Midas
Thanks for the portability instructions.

tactictoe

#5 Post by tactictoe »

Very cool little software, lots of fun too. Thank Midas for the portability explanations.

JohnW

#6 Post by JohnW »

The author of AG has been making some changes (he's a bit like tactictoe on speed!!!)
Most significant I think, v 1.8 now allows a right-click on a word to get the definition.
Cool.

tactictoe

#7 Post by tactictoe »

The author of AG has been making some changes (he's a bit like tactictoe on speed!!!)
Hahahaha, like it. You made me laugh. Thanks JohnW.

But this is what happen when you are passionate about what you are doing, isn't it?

JohnW

#8 Post by JohnW »

@tactictoe

You're right - that's why I like reading your contributions.

EDIT
When I looked at my emails I found the author had produced another upgrade (1.9)
Although the Word Search worked for single word solutions, there was no possibility of finding multi-word solutions.
This has now been remedied.
Others may disagree but I think this is the best crossword solver for a Windows platform.

Specular

#9 Post by Specular »

A small thing (or perhaps not, I'm no expert) that would be nice to see is the default Windows font rendering applied to the program text (results, text fields, upper tabs), since it's a bit hard to read without the subpixel rendering.

JohnW

#10 Post by JohnW »

@Specular
When I first came across this program I liked it but recognised that it had some limitations.
I corresponded regularly with the author and he made a number of changes culminating in a version that is a very useful crossword helper.
With regard to your point I found it a little too technical for me (getting old!) ; I suggest you approach the author.
You will find him very accommodating (assuming he agrees with your suggestion)

webfork

#11 Post by webfork »

Just a note that the developer updated the program to v2.4 back in October and has a listing on the site about functionality via USB devices.

Nomron

#12 Post by Nomron »

Hello,
Do you know an online anagram solver ?

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

Nomron wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:41 am Hello,
Do you know an online anagram solver ?
Not sure I know what you mean -- I'm not sure anagrams can be solved, they're more something generated based on available letters. A site that tries to generate word-like anagrams rather than just word jumbles: https://ingesanagram.appspot.com/