URL Monit@r

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
tactictoe

Re: URL Monitor V1.0.1.0

#31 Post by tactictoe »

To avoid conflict of name of product with what exist on the market (too many), I decided to change the name of the software to URL Monit@r. Which in turn is unique and its final name.
I also asked other site posting the software to refer to its new name.

The website reflect the change. Version 1.2.1.0, not expected to be release so earlier is up too to reflect the change.
The executable name is also different: URLMonitar.exe to avoid absolute confusion.

However this update brings something new:
UMValidationScreen.jpg
You can now choose the list to sync with and reinclude a bad link.

tactictoe

#32 Post by tactictoe »

V1.2.2.0 is up. Early release of phase 2 partial work: bug kept bothering me so I guess it will bother others.

What's new in this update:

V1.2.2.0 - Release date: 07/03/2016 14:30:57 AWST - UTC +08:00

Options and About box: Check for update on line button added
New feature: URL Monit@r Web Update window created. NEW
You can now check if there is an update for the software on line
Options: Reload all saved options' button from the 'Set URL Monit@r internet default browser' window was disabled even after saving all options. FIXED
UMMainScreen_Options.jpg
New button appears in the options of the main window, same button appears into the about box.
UMOnLineUpdate.jpg
The very simple On line update dialog window permits to check for update without visiting the home page of the software. Of course you can also download the latest update and/or visit the update page of the software.

tactictoe

#33 Post by tactictoe »

URL Monit@r is V1.2.2.1
It fixes a major bug into the integrated browser, discovered by my son who use that part of the software more than me. You could not save any list created due to an OS code error.

Extract from the site:
V1.2.2.1 - Release date: 12/03/2016 16:50:03 AWST - UTC +08:00
- Integrated browser: save button did report an OS error, code reviewed and corrected accordingly. FIXED

tactictoe

#34 Post by tactictoe »

One of the things I read in the review of Martin Brinkmann (http://www.ghacks.net/2016/02/27/url-mo ... addresses/) was this
I'd like to see an option to pick up lists of URLs copied to the Clipboard as it would improve the program for some uses significantly, as would additional information such as date and time the URL was added.
. Well, the wish is nearly there. I created a Captured history list database that works in real time, however it stills work in progress. I have lots of thing to make it more than a pretty display. More at this address: http://www.geocities.ws/tactictoe/URLMo ... gress.html.
A preview thought:
ClipboardHistory.png
To accommodate this new tool into the option I had also to change the GUI of the Options in the main window of the software. Here is a peak on how it might look like in the future version:
Option_change.png
Please note the new options. The clock icon in particular providing access to the Clipboard history database. I am hesitating where to place it, I might create a tool tab in the future as I intend to include lots of function tools later (Ping, tracert, relinking script, etc...). For now the best idea I had in mind was the options of the main window. If you have any other idea, please share.

So here I am open to suggestion of what you think about this future upgrade. What do you think about it?

In the meantime, have all a nice day.

webfork

#35 Post by webfork »

tactictoe wrote:URL Monit@r is V1.2.2.1
As multiple versions are being covered under this thread, I'll take the versioning off the original topic post, as we've been doing with other submissions.

Midas

Re: URL Monit@r

#36 Post by Midas »

I was about to suggest just that. Thanks for reading my mind... :mrgreen:

tactictoe

#37 Post by tactictoe »

webfork wrote:
tactictoe wrote:URL Monit@r is V1.2.2.1
As multiple versions are being covered under this thread, I'll take the versioning off the original topic post, as we've been doing with other submissions.
Thank you, :)
May be it is better to move it all together to the portable freeware update section, I don't know what are the customs of TPFC on this matter.
Anyway, Have all a great day. :D

tactictoe

#38 Post by tactictoe »

News about the Capture History as it does evolve.
Better a picture to explain it all.
ClipboardHistory.png
Moreover this future upgrade permits already to:

* Create on the fly a new capture history database and later save it as...
* Save the current capture history database as the default one
* Reload the default capture history database
* Save as the current capture history
* Append a previous saved capture history to the current one, or load and overwrite the existing one
* Autosize the grid of the database. Each column will be the size of its own largest entry
* Delete a selected record
* Find and delete duplicated record
* Sort the capture history database by one of its column title
* Search the capture history database for a specified entry
* Edit any entry

There are other manipulations on this capture history database I will probably include... regarding if they are necessary or not, convenient or not.
Your suggestions, comments and positive critics are of course all very welcome, after all this software is design for all of us to benefit. You can do it via this forum topics or via email if you prefer. My email address can be found on the page progress of this software, see below.
As usual the work in progress can be found here: http://www.geocities.ws/tactictoe/URLMo ... gress.html

tactictoe

#39 Post by tactictoe »

URL Monitor V1.2.3.0 is up

A complete Capture History database is now available.
Moreover you can now:

Create on the fly a new capture history database and later save it as...
Save the current capture history database as the default one
Reload the default capture history database
Save as the current capture history
Append a previous saved capture history to the current one, or load and overwrite the existing one
Autosize the grid of the database. Each column will be the size of its own largest entry
Delete a selected record
Find and delete duplicated record
Sort the capture history database by one of its column title
Search the capture history database for a specified entry
Edit any entry
Surf a URL entry from the capture history
Print the database
Export the URL of the database to a list

You can access the Capture History window via a the options of the main window (click on the clock)
Icon of the options of the main windows has been rearranged too.

Here are two screenshots explaining the change:
UMMainScreen_Options.jpg
This is the options main window and you can observe the clock icon button to access the Capture History window
They are also two new options for the capture history.
ClipboardHistory.png
And finally the Clipboard History window in action.

URL Monit@r will continue to evolve... I am not yet done with it, :wink:

As usual if you have any suggestions or comments or constructive critics, please feel free to share.

Have all a nice day. :D

tactictoe

#40 Post by tactictoe »

:!: smaragdus's wish is realised. :wink:

:arrow: URL Monit@r V1.2.3.1 is up.

:?: What's new in V1.2.3.1 - Release date 19/03/2016 22:25:10 AWST - UTC +08:00

Options: Windows minimise to System tray or Task bar
If inside the system tray, URL Monit@ar icon shows and permits:
- Double-click to restore the window.
- Right-click for the context menu of the tray icon.
There you can for example disable the monitoring of the clipboard or validation of URL...
- Shows the latest captured URL via a balloon in the System tray.
This can be disabled via the context menu of the tray icon.

Some screenshot to explain the work. Even it seems a simple upgrade to the software, it was a nightmare... there is somehow a major bug inside the code of Delphi I had to correct and understand and then apply a secondary correction (personal patch) to align with the documentation of the SDK of windows. Now, that it is done and because ignored when I was asking about this bug, I will keep the solution to myself. :twisted: I still need a new coffee machine... :shock:
Option_change.png
The new option...default is Minimised to system tray unticked
TrayiconPOP.jpg
The tray icon context menu of the software, default all ticked
TrayiconNotify.jpg
TrayiconNotify.jpg (11.52 KiB) Viewed 17940 times
A captured URL notification.

smaragdus

#41 Post by smaragdus »

@tactictoe
Great! Perhaps for most people minimization to tray might be an insignificant feature but for me it is essential- I prefer my task-bar uncluttered, only file manager, web browser and text editor there, everything else- in tray.

What about a little more enhancement- an option for the program to start minimized and an option to close it to tray- thus the user would be able to minimize the program to task bar and lose it to tray. Is 'Show-> All drive information' a new feature?

About the new name- URL Monit@r, I am not a great fan of inserting special characters into programs' names. There are more striking examples like fre:ac & Code:Backup- for me column (:) in a program name is totally wrong. Haven't you thought of unifying the names of all your software? For example- TacTic URL Monitor, TacTic Movie Info Search, TacTic Search and delete, etc? This TacTic might be your personal mark. Is Robot Text Reader a new project of yours?

Regards and thanks for the system tray! ;)

tactictoe

#42 Post by tactictoe »

smaragdus wrote:@tactictoe
Great! Perhaps for most people minimization to tray might be an insignificant feature but for me it is essential- I prefer my task-bar uncluttered, only file manager, web browser and text editor there, everything else- in tray.

What about a little more enhancement- an option for the program to start minimized and an option to close it to tray- thus the user would be able to minimize the program to task bar and lose it to tray. Is 'Show-> All drive information' a new feature?

About the new name- URL Monit@r, I am not a great fan of inserting special characters into programs' names. There are more striking examples like fre:ac & Code:Backup- for me column (:) in a program name is totally wrong. Haven't you thought of unifying the names of all your software? For example- TacTic URL Monitor, TacTic Movie Info Search, TacTic Search and delete, etc? This TacTic might be your personal mark. Is Robot Text Reader a new project of yours?

Regards and thanks for the system tray! ;)
Thanks for reacting to my last post, it means this topic is alive and kicking... sometime I feel like no one cares. Stupid feelings. But as my moto, I keep trying and won't give up... being an eternal optimist in this world is so rare. Now to not lose myself in the shuffles and answer your questions...

Enhancement
(a) Program to start minimised:
This should not be so difficult to implement in the software and I thought about it already. It is will be done next release.
(b) Option to close it to tray:
I am a little bit lost here. You can close the program from the system tray already via it's context menu. If Windows closes they are also message asking you to save your work, in regard of what was set in the options. Unless what I just describe is not what you meant then I am a little bit lost about what you wish.
Name of the software
(a) The name of the software:
As it is bothers me a lots too, I did prefer the original name which was URL Monitor. I am not a fan of special characters inside software name neither. But I found too many competitors using this name and had to go this way to find something original enough to keep close to the original name. Not a very good thinking, I know but it was all I was able to think when I realised I was using the trademark of someone else... It had to be done quick. The @ could be read as the letter 'O' or 'a'. For the new name of the executable, urlmonitar.exe, it was also a perfect (I thought) choice. The same day I was aware, I change the name of the software everywhere I could, writing to editors where the software was already posted and compiled a new version with the new name. I killed the old version so to speak. Some very serious software were using this name before and they are commercial. To avoid eating in their plate I rename the software that way. Little I was knowing the search for this software with google will also return funny results. It is however too late to change the name of the software. After a little bit more than a month presence I cannot do that again to the community. I am afraid it will have to stay like that unless the whole community is screaming for a name change.
(b)Unifying software name:
Yes, I did think lots about it already, since I posted my very first software in fact. That date BBS time which pre-Internet time. TicTacToe is a nickname given to me when I served in the NATO... more then 20 years... 'Captain TicTac' or 'TicTacToe', later they change it for TacTicToe. It has a great military background I cherish with its history. This memory is shared with people who are my brothers in arms, true friends and family only. I won't use this as a brand name to unify my software. On the other hand I try to keep the name of the software as close as possible to what it performs... it is more simple for people to find the software that way via search engine. If I had a software company so successful or so many famous software (like NirSoft have come to mind for the last case), I certainly would consider the idea. I am too casual with the result of my posted software and they are not famous at all or so little. I keep posting thought. I know some people out there likes what I am doing. Never received an email thanking me for the good job ever thought. It is feels as people are taking what you are doing for granted, they certainly rarely think about what you sacrificed to create a freeware or just don't bother enough to care. But I will stop here, you have my drift.
Other questions
(a) All drive information' a new feature?
No it appears two release ago, deep buried into the software options tab. You can access it when you set your personal browser to be in use with URL Monit@r as default Internet browser software. It is useful for some and was asked to implement it inside the software by some of my relative using this software. At first I did a special edition for them, it ends up inside this option later.
(b) Robot text reader, a New Project?
Yes it is and No it is not. Designed first to help a friend as a software solution, it is now part of a real robot companion to my friend. The stills under development and will not be released to public at all. I also designed robotic legs for him to be assisted when he walks... all part of a great adventure for this very very special friend. To return to the one posted on the web, I stop it's development due to a real lack of feedback from the community. I could relaunch it if the community is asking for, not otherwise. If it's relaunched I will probably go way further with this software and implement certain functions existing in my friend robot companion. Like ULP: Universal Language Program which is my work and engineering. A translator for disabled people but not only... it recognises 3000000 different phonemes so far (on going: automatic learning and adapt software) and translate them into English phoneme which in turn is something all of us can understand: word and verbs that become sentence. The robots recognise emotion of my friend via analyse of the phonemes received but not only. I even did a portable device based on this project to help him more further on the track. One of my crazy idea I could be a billionaire with and will not because done with the heart first and emotion so personal I won't like to share and certainly not making money out of it. On top of: the world is not ready for such type of technologies or may be it's me that have a bad opinion of what could be done with it falling in the wrong hand.
Now you know.

Have a very nice day. :D

smaragdus

#43 Post by smaragdus »

@tactictoe
What I meant by "close to tray"- the "X" button doesn't exit the program but sends it to tray. This way if both options "minimize to tray" and "close to tray" are activated URL Monit@r can only be exited from tray menu. What is the purpose? If these two options are available the user can tweak URL Monit@r to be minimized to task bar and closed to tray (when "minimize to tray" is not checked and "close to tray" is checked). I will Illustrate what I mean with a screen-shot of another program:
tray - minimize-close - 2016-03-21 - 001.png
tray - minimize-close - 2016-03-21 - 001.png (1.49 KiB) Viewed 17778 times
For me it is not very wise that we expect gratitude from others. I think that the main motive why people write free software is the inner urge for creativity (no matter whether they realize it or not). I am not a programmer and I do not write code, but I write other stuff just because I need to do so and I do not care whether others would read or appreciate my writings, in fact I usually refrain from showing them to anybody. People are usually ungrateful and as Immanuel Kant has said "Ingratitude is the essence of vileness."- that's the reason why we are living in a vile world.

tactictoe

#44 Post by tactictoe »

@smaragdus

I must be blunt, but now you explained to me, it makes sense. On the event the application is closed it goes to tray regarding an option. I am not a fan of this option and that is probably why I was blind front of the obvious. It will mess a bit the code (the application for now is listening for windows message close query) but it is possible to implement without too much effort neither. So I will look into it. The main drama is I am running out of space into the options tab, and need to thing how to organise it again without losing its appeals. Or I might included this option into the context menu of the system tray icon to not disturb anything into the options. I am trying to keep this software as clean and friendly as possible; too much options is no options they says. Anyway It will be done. Thanks for the suggestions by the way. They are always nice, :D

Academic:
People are usually ungrateful and as Immanuel Kant has said "Ingratitude is the essence of vileness."- that's the reason why we are living in a vile world
and I fight to change that every day of my life, to bring people to a state they appreciate the world we are living in and later care for it; which finally brings self rewarding feelings, love and happiness. My optimism and creativity is one effort in this world to change it for the best. A random act of kindness a day is also something I do. So, it might not be wise to expect thank you as encouragement or appreciation of the work done, but hope is the only good thing unleashed from the Pandora box and I have hope. I was told by my grand father:

- Do not forget your heart produces emotion resulting of your own intuition, let it guides you,
- always listen to your heart and not your head but when the heart is in pain,
- think at least twice with your head how to realise its wishes and create, be the pioneer of your own creativity,
- think how to resolve the pain in your heart with your head in the most gentle manner so the gardener of you heart can plant even more flowers to bring your life to shine.

I will never forget these words born of experience and optimism (I guess) of a man that always look to the good and bright side of life and people no matter what is thrown at him.
My grand father tried to tell me to stay optimist no matter what, even when touching rock bottom there is always a bright side. It is very late in my life I realised the meaning and why he told me but this is really getting too personal. The little bit I shared I hope will influence at least one person.

Anyway, have a very nice day.

tactictoe

#45 Post by tactictoe »

URL Monitor V1.2.3.2 is up and realises smaragdus wishes

V1.2.3.2 - Release date 21/03/2016 12:00:51 AWST - UTC +08:00

System Tray Icon context menu extended with:
New Feature: Options sub menu
- Start the software minimised
- Exit minimised the software to tray (this one disable the Exit of the context menu in the notification area)

Please note that is the only place where to find these extended options of the software.
Here is a snapshot:
TrayiconPOP.jpg
TrayiconPOP.jpg (10.69 KiB) Viewed 17721 times
The snapshot shows also the default value for both options: not ticked.
These options are save into the application settings files on demand as usual.

Have all a nice day. :D