Search and delete

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
xor

Re: Search and delete

#31 Post by xor »

@tactictoe Considering the purpose and the functionality of this beloved creation of yours and me seeing all those command buttons trying to do as much as posible, I just wonder: Isn't it about time for a toolbar or at least some lined up buttons with a clean-and-simple-look glyphicons? btw this is quite a handy poweruser app! ;)

tactictoe

#32 Post by tactictoe »

xor wrote:@tactictoe Considering the purpose and the functionality of this beloved creation of yours and me seeing all those command buttons trying to do as much as posible, I just wonder: Isn't it about time for a toolbar or at least some lined up buttons with a clean-and-simple-look glyphicons? btw this is quite a handy poweruser app! ;)
I absolutely agree here, I just try different way to achieve this goal and so far none suits me (From menu to tool bar and the like)... I will get there. For now I am concentrating on functionalities especially LOG of use of the software (File renamed, file deleted and so on) to permits an eventual roll back in future version. I am not yet there, and as simple as its sound the LOG and other functionalities I intend to implant are just not working the way I like. I might even postpone some of these new stuff till I get my head clear and a real plan for this software. Don't get me wrong I have one but as usual I code so fast I am already ten pages front of it. Oh well. I keep your suggestion as a wish to be completed soon or later. Wait and see. If you want create a picture or a draft of how could look the software with toolbar(s) you are welcome to post it here for me to take a look, otherwise you can still email it to me. Keep in mind the size of the windows. I do not want to go over the height of 760 pixels for obvious reason. I encourage you to do that, :wink: Hall of fame for you if done, btw.

Yes it is a beloved creation, my pet project of the moment with its big bro Movie Info Search.

Did you test the app?

tactictoe

#33 Post by tactictoe »

Hmmm, true I am at maximum button capacity... so?

Okay, that's it... Any infographist out there? If so and are willing to give a bit of your time here is what I would like:

A 32x32 icon or glyph representative of the function of any button of this software. These icon/glyph must be compliant with the various theme proposed in the app. All you will have in return is credit for it inside the software somewhere: Hall of Fame thank you credit , sort of and can be good advertising for yourself too. And of course my gratitude and the one of the community, for which I work for free with this software. Anyone?

What I don't need is plagiary or copy even slightly modified of art work (hard, heart or art?) from others and/or copyrighted.

Thanks in advance to any good soul who is willing to give it a go.

Edited: Please let me know if you are at least trying. Thanks in advance if you do so, really appreciated.
Last edited by tactictoe on Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

tactictoe

#34 Post by tactictoe »

I intend to create an automatic logbook of file operation accessible via main screen on demand (button, pic,... or what ever is possible)

- It would be save or not regarding end user options,
- Saved in a CSV database on request into the software application folder,
- This DB will have search options but no input from end user
- The DB IF FOUND appends result of file operation
- DB can be deleted

Sample of field:
LOGBOOK.png
LOGBOOK.png (10.87 KiB) Viewed 19332 times
What I would like if possible, and only from people willing to test/use this software,is an opinion on the matter.
I found a Logbook very useful to any IT Pro to keep records and track operations on file done or to be done. So this function will exists.
The opinion I asked is in term of field you would add and why. The goal is to create a concise exportable DB on file operation with this software.
Export to Excel via CSV, HTML, TXT. It is ambitious but it would be a very good addition to the software.

Edited: Please read the last Result (FAIL) as explanation of failure: e.g. DOES NOT EXIST, PATH NOT FOUND, ... as short but understandable as possible.

Statistic: just hit the 100 hrs passed on the software development.

tactictoe

#35 Post by tactictoe »

To give you a better idea of the log in action...

... here below is a screenshot of what it looks like so far.
SARSGLog.png
Suggestion?

Midas

#36 Post by Midas »

tactictoe wrote:Suggestion?
  • Personally, I much prefer odd-even row coloring to gridlines.

tactictoe

#37 Post by tactictoe »

Midas wrote:
tactictoe wrote:Suggestion?
  • Personally, I much prefer odd-even row coloring to gridlines.
Can do, wish granted. Light blue and white?

Midas

#38 Post by Midas »

Perfect. 8)

tactictoe

#39 Post by tactictoe »

Search and delete is now version 2.5.1.0

What's new in this version

Screenshot

* Main GUI.
SAR01.png
* New logbook window
SARSGLog.png
Bug fix
* Copy and replace to empty folder search result list was executable: fixed.
* Search multiple file was valid only if the first folder of the target list was checked: fixed
* Other minor bugs and cosmetics bugs I found here and there...
* Some performance enhancement done.

Addition
* Logbook window:
record every operations on file made by the software and the result. However the logbook is only saved on demand. If saved it will be reopened at next startup of Search and delete to append eventual new result. You will be prompted to save the logbook if it has been modified. The logbook is saved into the application folder. It can be also exported as a CSV file, text file or whatever file extension you want to give to it. The logbook used by the software is called: SARLogbook.log.
* A context menu is usable with the Search result list and code has been revisited.

>>>@MIDAS: alternate colours in the logbook is in progress (problem with skin)... postponed for now.

To do list (when I can):
* Search logbook for a record.
* MIDAS request.
* Copy, Move to.
* YOUR WISH MIGHT BE ADDED TO THIS LIST IF YOU ASK FOR.

Please vote if you like

Here is the link to vote for this software: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2767
Home page of the software: http://www.geocities.ws/tactictoe/SearchAndReplace.html

(Entry updated on its private page)

tactictoe

#40 Post by tactictoe »

:roll: BTW. Since V2.5.1.0,at work, our admin is using this software, he likes it and it saves him heaps of time. His request list is huge and I am processing. But this is just chit-chat, isn't it? :wink:

tactictoe

#41 Post by tactictoe »

V2.6.1.0 is up

Search logbook for a record done.

I did not expect to release this version so fast, but V2.5.1.0 had broken code in the target settings due to.... a weird cat walking on my keyboard. I did not pay attention to what has been modified. Just chased the hacker tiger away. Lesson learned, never ever leave your windows open and get a coffee leaving your PC unattended or the neighbour's cat might walk in.. breaking some code and eating your snack close by.

Note to my lovely neighbour: Heard that Sheila? Your cat ate my milo bar.. Guess the fluffy is going to waltz Mathilda with the salties. These ugly mugs will crocodile roll the hairy chewy, so leash your funny ratbag pet before I trash it to the ratty reptiles. Telling ya, the output is not going true blue way, sure no Anzac bickie more like bush tucker for the blowie, fair dinkum?

Anyway, here is a snapshot of the new logbook window:
SARSGLog.png
Please vote if you like.

Here is the link to vote for this software: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2767
Home page of the software: http://www.geocities.ws/tactictoe/SearchAndReplace.html

(Entry updated on its private page)

Midas

#42 Post by Midas »

Great story. :D

tactictoe

#43 Post by tactictoe »

:shock: Happy ending to it... I thought; after 3 hours chasing what was modified and still not sufficient. At the end, nearly forced to write the whole code again, I gave up and reload a pre-version that I thought was right but obviously not. Released was done but crippled by missing code I forgot to include. Harsh remembering lesson: test before release. Then? hours tracing routine, missing code added and till I was at it the Log was included. Test and release. That all about it but lost of perfect code, more gray hairs and a coffee machine nearly dead now. Funny how ugly can turn a 'cat walk'. :lol:

smaragdus

#44 Post by smaragdus »

Cats are also known to love to mess with chess boards and the position is hard to be restored after a cat's intervention. So if you are a chess player never let the cat near a chess board if the game isn't over- no FEN and PGN files can help in such a situation. Anyway, I love cats, even the mischievous ones.

smaragdus

#45 Post by smaragdus »

@tactictoe
You might add a change log page for Search and delete on your site since there are such pages for Movie Info Search & URL Monit@r.