Universal Extractor Update (Bioruebe version)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Bioruebe

Re: Keeping UniExtract up to date

#16 Post by Bioruebe »

Hello everyone, dev here.
Some people notified me about this thread, so here I am, ready for your questions :)
Userfriendly wrote:I'm sure it will get more search hits :)

Will test some features it seems to have that I've always wanted, Media files and game archive unpacking. It's very nice.

I like that it uses crass/crage for at least one game engine. Maybe just maybe... supporting more VN ripping tools is a possibility... Here's a reference of the seemingly hundreds of VN data extractors http://tlwiki.org/index.php?title=Tools
Yep, this thread alone is worth a few hundred view a day.
The problem with new extractors is to have enough files to test it properly. Thus, integrating hundreds of new extractors may take a while ;) But new ones will follow for sure.

Userfriendly wrote:A lot of the extractor tools included are outdated. It has some trouble extracting Advanced Installer files which Gora and Koros version extract fine with.

The optional plugins need to be downloaded from third party file hosters and the download links are not always reliable. RPGDecrypter-spaces.ru.exe one kept failing to download because the hoster doesn't like direct linking. Needed to find the original download page as the referrer.

The required files for some plugins are not clear for example crass and arc_conv has a lot of binary files. Not sure which files to throw in the bin since some binary dependencies like zlib.dll or others with similar named executables might conflict with already existing ones. Probably needs a dedicated optional plugins folder to be neater or just include most of them right off the bat.
I delayed re-checking all extractors for currentness until UniExtract is out of beta, the stable release will of course include up-tp-date binaries.
I added Advanced Installer to the TODO list, as well as SmartInstallMaker. Feel free to report any file types other modded versions support, which mine doesn't.

Adding plugins will be simplified with the next update, so you don't have to worry about which files to move anymore. Including them is not possible due to copyright issues. Maybe someone provides a convenience package with all plugins included, I can't.

Userfriendly wrote:Developer has twitter and steam ID.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/bioruebe/
Oh no! Now everybody knows if I'm playing instead of fixing bugs :D

webfork

Re: Universal Extractor Update (Bioruebe version)

#17 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:Your expectations for Bvckup 2?
You're right that it's not an ideal name. I am comfortable with the Bvckup 2 naming because it's not going to create confusion in the same way that UE2 will; it's the by the same developer and there aren't multiple forks of Bvckup out there.
Bioruebe wrote:Hello everyone, dev here.
Welcome to the forums. This site obviously leans pretty hard on Universal Extractor so we're glad to have you.

Midas

#18 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:Welcome to the forums. This site obviously leans pretty hard on Universal Extractor so we're glad to have you.
Ditto. 8)

Userfriendly

#19 Post by Userfriendly »

Nice to have you here :D

Will probably hold off on any kind of feature requests and let you finish up your TODO list. With a program like this having so many different unpacking tools it will probably take a long time just doing bug fixes and updates to existing tools. Like the latest 7z and winrar added support for more formats lately.

I was just thinking maybe more refinements to the existing media files and game resources extracting/converting feature. Such as Bink video files (.BK2, .BIK) commonly used for games to a raw/lossless format or another codec. But that seems like its outside the intended scope of UniExtract. Even though you already have ffmpeg and faad doing such a thing for AAC. Hard to imagine this becoming an all-in-one extract/convert/slice/dice program.

webfork

#20 Post by webfork »

Userfriendly wrote:Will probably hold off on any kind of feature requests and let you finish up your TODO list.
I have a sort of request: to maintain simplicity or at least put any advanced features under the hood. I went into some detail in this a while back with the Super simple decompression thread. I don't know your goals for development but it could mean more downloads, more attention, and a larger acceptance of the wide variety of great high compression formats out there. Even 1.5 years after writing that up, I still rarely meet people who know what RAR or 7zip are or how to deal with them.

Also as you probably read in previous posts, I'd recommend a different name.
Last edited by webfork on Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: [better wording]

Mikhoul

#21 Post by Mikhoul »

New Release: 2.0.0 Beta 2 :D

Beta 2:

Added game mode: status box is not being displayed if a foreground fullscreen application is running
Added /update command line parameter
Added wrong password error message (exit code 10) for rar, 7z extractors
Added support for CreateInstall installers (plugin)
Added support for DGCA compressed files (plugin)
Added support for pcm audio tracks in video files and .mxf files
Added support for Advanced Installer installers
Added support for SQLite databases, creates .sql command file
Added fallback extension check for .assets files
Added import function to plugin GUI to simplify plugin setup
Fixed keepopen option not working after batch mode finished
Fixed SQLite dlls not being found
Fixed help command line parameter
Fixed storeguiposition and checkgame options not being saved
Fixed extraction failing for Gentee Installer, Installer VISE and Setup Factory
Fixed preferences and context menu GUI label width for some translations
Fixed updating 7zip binaries
Changed error message if no tracks to be extracted in video file
Changed WarnExecute messages to include full paths instead of untranslated '<outdir>'
Updated innounp to 0.45
Updated unrar to 5.31 Beta 1
Updated 7zip to 15.14
Updated extraction script for Visionaire files
Updated finnish translation, thanks to Jyrki Vesterinen
Updated portuguese (Portugal) translation, thanks to Luis Neves
Updated russian translation, thanks to an anonymous contributor
Updated Portuguese (Brazilian) translation, thanks to Igor Rückert

https://github.com/Bioruebe/UniExtract2/releases :wink:

SYSTEM

#22 Post by SYSTEM »

Mikhoul wrote:New Release: 2.0.0 Beta 2 :D
Thanks. I updated our database entry. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Toxteth O'Grady

#23 Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

All right. I tried to unpack the installer version of MPC-BE, but it failed.
This error message popped up:

AutoIT Error
Line 2335 (File "C:\Users\Me\Desktop\UniExtract.exe")
Illegal text at the end of statement (one statement per line).

webfork

#24 Post by webfork »

Just a note that I wrote up a new entry description to try and highlight some of the new features.

Mikhoul

#25 Post by Mikhoul »

Toxteth O'Grady wrote:

All right. I tried to unpack the installer version of MPC-BE, but it failed.
This error message popped up:

AutoIT Error

Just open a issue/bug here it will be fixed for the next release: https://github.com/Bioruebe/UniExtract2/issues :)

Bioruebe

#26 Post by Bioruebe »

Thanks for the warm welcome :)
As you already have noticed, beta 2 is out. Mostly feedback-inspired changes this time and a few updates for the most used extractors.
Userfriendly wrote: Will probably hold off on any kind of feature requests and let you finish up your TODO list.
Most of the todo list is low priority like fixing logging problems or adding support for formats no one has ever heard of ;) Feel free to request new features.
Userfriendly wrote:I was just thinking maybe more refinements to the existing media files and game resources extracting/converting feature. Such as Bink video files (.BK2, .BIK) commonly used for games to a raw/lossless format or another codec. But that seems like its outside the intended scope of UniExtract. Even though you already have ffmpeg and faad doing such a thing for AAC. Hard to imagine this becoming an all-in-one extract/convert/slice/dice program.
I see decompressing aac to pcm/wav and demuxing video files as just within the scope of an extractor. Supporting new formats for ffmpeg is planned, but I guess real format conversions do not fit into UniExtract.
webfork wrote:I have a sort of request: to maintain simplicity or at least put any advanced features under the hood. I went into some detail in this a while back with the Super simple decompression thread. I don't know your goals for development but it could mean more downloads, more attention, and a larger acceptance of the wide variety of great high compression formats out there. Even 1.5 years after writing that up, I still rarely meet people who know what RAR or 7zip are or how to deal with them.
Keeping it simple sure is a good idea :)

As for the 'ideal features':
  • dragging onto the program icon works, but opens the main GUI instead of extracting right away. Could be changed.
  • 'extract to same location, subdir if more than <treshold> files' sounds brilliant; it's really annoying to always have to open an archive in winrar instead of using the context menu because there can be a single file/folder or hundreds inside. But adding this feature would mean implementing archive content listing functionality, which is a lot of work to do. So this has to wait until UniExtract 3.
  • wierd folders ({app} etc.) - I could add an optional cleanup function to rename/move/delete these files/folders
Toxteth O'Grady wrote:AutoIT Error
There was a little problem with the beta 2 release, please manually search for updates to get a fixed (Beta 2b) version.

Toxteth O'Grady

#27 Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

Bioruebe wrote:
There was a little problem with the beta 2 release, please manually search for updates to get a fixed (Beta 2b) version.

That was a quick fix. Thanks very much. :)

Userfriendly

#28 Post by Userfriendly »

Bioruebe wrote:
Updater downloads beta2b.zip but it contains the previous UniExtract.exe beta 2 version not Beta 2b. So the only real new thing downloaded is the changelog_minor.txt and swedish lang file. Extract bug is still present.

Bioruebe

#29 Post by Bioruebe »

Userfriendly wrote:Updater downloads beta2b.zip but it contains the previous UniExtract.exe beta 2 version not Beta 2b.
OK, I just went punishing the server for sending the wrong file ;), now the update should work. Sorry again.

tactictoe

#30 Post by tactictoe »

Midas wrote:
I am Baas wrote:Your expectations for Bvckup 2?
  • Now, that particular one would fare pretty well as a TPFC recommended program, even in beta state... :mrgreen:
If you can be sure it will make it to final, yes I agree here.

Still I tested it and it works fine for me but some unusual application hanging. Then I found the guilty, and it concerns me. I use Bitdefender Internet Security 2015 and it freezes the software from time to time without throwing false alert or alert at all. Then it permits the software to resume. Two case happens there: the software still hang for a while then resume or it performs directly what it was supposed to do before interruption. So for test purpose I turned off this AV and it did work well. Please note it is very rare behavior of this AV. Just to let you know all.

Have all a nice day.