Universal Extractor Update (Bioruebe version)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Re: Universal Extractor Update (Bioruebe version)

#46 Post by webfork »

The slowdown/confusion of UniExtractor was part of what was hurting PortableFreeware, since so many of our tools and efforts relied on it. I take this ongoing improvement as good tidings.

Toxteth O'Grady

#47 Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

Unfortunately the updater seems to downgrade (is that the right word?) items that I updated manually. Does it actually "find\detect" the latest file versions?

webfork

#48 Post by webfork »

Toxteth O'Grady wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:28 am Unfortunately the updater seems to downgrade (is that the right word?) items that I updated manually. Does it actually "find\detect" the latest file versions?
I haven't tested that functionality ... that's interesting that it's using out-of-date component versions. Do you know what it overwrote?

Toxteth O'Grady

#49 Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

It seems to me it simply "puts back in" every file that is\was in the original installer (or portable version) of Universal Extractor. Or it checks some outdated list on the author's website. I don't know, but everything is back to where it was before. Stuff I deleted, like text files, docs folder, language files are re-downloaded. And lots of updated program (exe) files are back to old versions. SUMo reports old versions of 10 files. MSI Unpacker, FLV Extract, SQLite, GCFScape, etc., etc.

I'm sorry to say the updater is useless.

Midas

#50 Post by Midas »

A recent post noting an update to Universal Extractor (Koros version) version prompted me to check if there were any for this one, which I have grown to use by default...

Usually, Bioruebe's UniExtract has this aggravating feature that, no matter what you ask it to decompress, it will always check and update itself first -- a behavior I didn't recall experiencing lately. Turns out something was wrong with my version's updater that made it unable to update itself.

To cut short a long story, Bioreuebe's latest stable UniExtract is v2.0.0 RC3 from 2020-08-24, while the latest beta (or nightly as it's now called) is v2.0.0 RC4 dated from 2022-06-01.

[Incidentally, the INI key that determines which version you get when updating is "nightlyupdates" -- set it to 0 or 1 to de/activate it...]

Direct download link for the latest Beta: https://update.bioruebe.com/uniextract/files/nightly.zip

Midas

#51 Post by Midas »

Topic update: Bioruebe's Universal Extractor 2 latest version from Github is still v2.0.0 RC3, released 2020-08-24 (for changes and downloads, see https://github.com/Bioruebe/UniExtract2/releases).

OTOH, the latest nightly is currently Universal Extractor v2.0.0 RC4, released 2023-01-29 -- as can be attested from its "About..." dialog (see screenshot below).

Confusingly, the direct download link for the latest version is still https://update.bioruebe.com/uniextract/files/nightly.zip but there's no mention of it in Bioruebe.com page devoted to Universal Extractor 2: https://bioruebe.com/blog/dev/uniextract/.

Having laid this out, should you update to the latest nightly, I do recommend editing 'UniExtract.ini' in the program folder and changing the following, lest you be reverted back to v2.0.0 RC3 when you next auto-update...

Code: Select all

[UniExtract Preferences]
nightlyupdates=1
If you don't usually decompress game files and to make Universal Extractor a tad faster, i'd recommend also setting the following in the same section.

Code: Select all

checkgame=0
Also note the "Statistics" visualization in the "Help" menu, with data stored in the INI file under the corresponding header.