Universal Extractor Update (Bioruebe version)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Mikhoul

Universal Extractor Update (Bioruebe version)

#1 Post by Mikhoul »

[Moderator note:

[/note]

----

I was looking for an update of Uniextract today and I found at least 4-5 differents forks and and some of there release are just few days old,

This thread popped on my Google search and I see that you are looking for an EZ to follow fork with source so I found a brand new one on Github:

https://github.com/Bioruebe/UniExtract2 Enjoy ! :P

Userfriendly

Re: Keeping UniExtract up to date

#2 Post by Userfriendly »

Nice find! Amazing no one else has found that until now. I guess google searching it has to be very specifically "uniextract2" or searching directly via Github. But now that its here, I'm sure it will get more search hits :)

Will test some features it seems to have that I've always wanted, Media files and game archive unpacking. It's very nice.

I like that it uses crass/crage for at least one game engine. Maybe just maybe... supporting more VN ripping tools is a possibility... Here's a reference of the seemingly hundreds of VN data extractors http://tlwiki.org/index.php?title=Tools

Developers website: http://bioruebe.com/dev/uniextract/

What are we gonna call it? UniExtract2 - Electric Boogaloo? Universal Extractor Bioruebe fork?

SYSTEM

#3 Post by SYSTEM »

Mikhoul wrote:I was looking for an update of Uniextract today and I found at least 4-5 differents forks and and some of there release are just few days old,

This thread popped on my Google search and I see that you are looking for an EZ to follow fork with source so I found a brand new one on Github:

https://github.com/Bioruebe/UniExtract2 Enjoy ! :P
Thank you, thank you, thank you. We needed something like this.

I tested Universal Extractor 2 for portability by running the first-run wizard and extracting a 7z file. No traces at all (except registry entries Windows itself generated). :)

Added to the database: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2764. Please vote. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

SYSTEM wrote:Added to the database: http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2764. Please vote. :)
Finally, an easy and straightforward solution for an age old dilemma. Plus I find "UniExtract2" has a nice ring to it, while denoting continuity at the same time. :)

I wanted to vote, but doesn't the fact that UniExtract2 is currently and quite visibly in a Beta state break TPFC rules?

SYSTEM

#5 Post by SYSTEM »

Midas wrote:I wanted to vote, but doesn't the fact that UniExtract2 is currently and quite visibly in a Beta state break TPFC rules?
No. Updating an entry to a beta version is to be avoided (and even that isn't a rule), but if there aren't any stable versions, then the only options are to either add the beta or not have the program in the DB at all.

Resonic, for example, was in the TPFC database already in the alpha stage, and it's still in beta.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

I am Baas

#6 Post by I am Baas »

SYSTEM wrote:
Midas wrote:I wanted to vote, but doesn't the fact that UniExtract2 is currently and quite visibly in a Beta state break TPFC rules?
No. Updating an entry to a beta version is to be avoided (and even that isn't a rule), but if there aren't any stable versions, then the only options are to either add the beta or not have the program in the DB at all.

Resonic, for example, was in the TPFC database already in the alpha stage, and it's still in beta.
:P :lol:
2016-01-28_004418.jpg

Checker

#7 Post by Checker »

@Mikhoul: Nice find :!:
@SYSTEM: Thanks for adding to the db ... voted :wink:

Userfriendly

#8 Post by Userfriendly »

Some things I noticed with UniExtract2. A lot of the extractor tools included are outdated. It has some trouble extracting Advanced Installer files which Gora and Koros version extract fine with.

The optional plugins need to be downloaded from third party file hosters and the download links are not always reliable. RPGDecrypter-spaces.ru.exe one kept failing to download because the hoster doesn't like direct linking. Needed to find the original download page as the referrer.

The required files for some plugins are not clear for example crass and arc_conv has a lot of binary files. Not sure which files to throw in the bin since some binary dependencies like zlib.dll or others with similar named executables might conflict with already existing ones. Probably needs a dedicated optional plugins folder to be neater or just include most of them right off the bat.

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

OK, then, that's settled. Voted. :)

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

Userfriendly wrote:What are we gonna call it? UniExtract2 - Electric Boogaloo? Universal Extractor Bioruebe fork?
This is what concerns me as well. I recommend we go with something other than Universal Extractor 2 for three reasons:
  1. Version number confusion. Universal Extractor 2 version 2 is a little confusing to users not already familiar with the software and it would get moreso with versions past 2. For example:
    • Me: What version are you using?
      Them: 2.
      Me: You mean 2 version 3?
      Them: What?
  2. It's an unofficial build. If the original author ever came back to the program.
  3. There are other UniEx2's. We might be able to make an exception if this were the only fork of the program, but we've got two highlighted on the site and (as I understand it) other unofficial builds out there.
I don't have a clear idea of what to use instead. Maybe "Bioruebe Universal Extractor" similar to how we've handled two different programs with the same name?

Mikhoul

#11 Post by Mikhoul »

Userfriendly wrote:Some things I noticed with UniExtract2. A lot of the extractor tools included are outdated. It has some trouble extracting Advanced Installer files which Gora and Koros version extract fine with.

The optional plugins need to be downloaded from third party file hosters and the download links are not always reliable. RPGDecrypter-spaces.ru.exe one kept failing to download because the hoster doesn't like direct linking. Needed to find the original download page as the referrer.

The required files for some plugins are not clear for example crass and arc_conv has a lot of binary files. Not sure which files to throw in the bin since some binary dependencies like zlib.dll or others with similar named executables might conflict with already existing ones. Probably needs a dedicated optional plugins folder to be neater or just include most of them right off the bat.
Keep in your mind that's a BETA release, I updated myself "innounpV045" it took few seconds but if you see other things the best way to see them changed is to open an account on Github and fill a new "issue" to the project so it could be corrected in the next release. https://github.com/Bioruebe/UniExtract2/issues

Since it's on Github and the dev have some ethics... it is for copyright reasons that you have to download yourself the plug-ins, it's clearly stated.

Regards ! :)

Midas

Re: Universal Extractor Update (Bioruebe version)

#12 Post by Midas »

@Baas: past misdeeds are no excuse for present day failings of righteousness -- I'm on the path to perfection here... :twisted:

Besides, I don't expect Resonic to ever become a TPFC recommended download.

I am Baas

#13 Post by I am Baas »

Midas wrote:@Baas: past misdeeds are no excuse for present day failings of righteousness -- I'm on the path to perfection here... :twisted:

Besides, I don't expect Resonic to ever become a TPFC recommended download.

That's going to be a loooooong jurney ... :P
2016-01-28_005011.jpg

Your expectations for Bvckup 2?

Userfriendly

#14 Post by Userfriendly »

Developer has twitter and steam ID.
William Engelmann
https://twitter.com/bioruebe
http://steamcommunity.com/id/bioruebe/

Midas

#15 Post by Midas »

I am Baas wrote:Your expectations for Bvckup 2?
Now, that particular one would fare pretty well as a TPFC recommended program, even in beta state... :mrgreen: