FileVoyager - file manager

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
FileVoyager

Re: FileVoyager - file manager

#76 Post by FileVoyager »

__philippe wrote:Here are a couple of VT's DB on-demand check exemples by other apps, which implement the function you want,
requiring either NO button click to display VT's
Thanks, this is interesting!

When I wrote
"you will have to explicitely click a button or check a box"
I meant I would not check against the VT database by default, except if a specific checkbox is ticked or whatever (TBD). The VT queries would be batch capable anyway.
This, guys, would definitely give FileVoyager's Hash Tool an added value. Thank you!

webfork

#77 Post by webfork »

Interestingly PA just released their wrapper version of FileVoyager.

FileVoyager

#78 Post by FileVoyager »

webfork wrote:Interestingly PA just released their wrapper version of FileVoyager.
:mrgreen:

@webfork
About the VirusTotal integration: I have exchanged some emails with the Support of VT about using their public API.
They are very restrictive. eg: They limit to get max 4 item entries from their database per minute...per API Key! FV having 1 single API Key.
They told me they would remove that restriction if I offer to the user the possibility to submit files to VT. Which is not a big deal. So that's quite positive.
The bad news is that they forbid to show their partner names, so such a report below (PEStudio) is not authorized for me :?

Midas

#79 Post by Midas »

Forgive me if I'm being dense here, but wouldn't it be simpler to integrate this already well developed PEStudio functionality as a sort of plugin? At least for starters? :?

webfork

#80 Post by webfork »

FileVoyager wrote:They limit to get max 4 item entries from their database per minute...per API Key! FV having 1 single API Key.
That doesn't totally surprise me. They provide a fairly unique service and I can understand why they want to restrict access.
FileVoyager wrote:They told me they would remove that restriction if I offer to the user the possibility to submit files to VT
That sounds great. Note that if for whatever reason they close the door in the future, you can still at least provide link to VT by just inserting a SHA256 hash into the URL. So for example, getting the hash "913370e3e8a97d86babcfdb8890b7d05a4b4abf17a6891692fc462d4e14bb4f9" can create the URL:
... then users could click on a given file to see it's status. It's not ideal of course but I think worth including.

JohnTHaller

#81 Post by JohnTHaller »

webfork wrote:
FileVoyager wrote:
... then users could click on a given file to see it's status. It's not ideal of course but I think worth including.
That's a solid idea. You can omit the specific scan done and end it with /analysis/ and I think it may show the most recent one: https://www.virustotal.com/en/file/9133 ... /analysis/
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

webfork

#82 Post by webfork »

JohnTHaller wrote:That's a solid idea. You can omit the specific scan done and end it with /analysis/ and I think it may show the most recent one
Yes -- even better.

Midas

#83 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:Yes -- even better.
:idea: :arrow: 8)

FileVoyager

#84 Post by FileVoyager »

Hi everybody!
It's been such a long time... it flies :/
I've released a new version after hibernation and this last version contains the checks on VirusTotal.com.
The VirusTotal API key used by FV is limited to 4 reports per minute. And it's mutualized for all users of FV (sig)...

We haven't found an agreement with my VirusTotal contact, so I haven't been able to get a API key that is limited to 4 reports, for every IP address using it.
The condition that I refused was that they wanted FV to upload systematically the files that are unknown in their DB without additional user action.
I refused because sometimes, you just want to check if a file received by mail is not f**k'd up. You don't necessarily want to upload whatever to an online service.

Voilà, so it's a bitter sweet release for me

FileVoyager

#85 Post by FileVoyager »

But still, you can sign up on VT and you systematically receive an API key.
In FV, you can enter your own API key. That way you have no quota collision issue with other users

webfork

#86 Post by webfork »

Thanks for the update -- I haven't seen much happening with file management tools lately, so this is welcome news. Thanks for trying to get the VT functionality but a few notes about what you describe ...
FileVoyager wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 12:22 pm for every IP address using it.
The condition that I refused was that they wanted FV to upload systematically the files that are unknown in their DB without additional user action.
To be clear, we're talking about Google/Alphabet, which owns VirusTotal. I get that they don't want to be everyone's free virus checker service for all the files on your computer, but the policies you describe are very problematic.
  1. If I generate an empty Microsoft Word document, that's 12,490 bytes. If I generate a text file with a SHA256 hash, that's exactly 64 byes. This means sending an entire empty file rather than a hash value requires almost 200x more data.
  2. Sending whole files (that may or may not contain sensitive information) to Google for analysis is definitely a great way to violate corporate policy at my company and I'm sure many others. Especially since developers by nature of developing code are going to generate executable files that no one has ever seen before that A/V software will be suspicious of.
I appreciate that you declined to work within that framework.

Midas

#87 Post by Midas »

Topic update: FileVoyager v19.5.1 released 2019-05-01 (changelog at https://www.filevoyager.com/doc/changelog/).

webfork

#88 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:39 am Topic update: FileVoyager v19.5.1 released 2019-05-01 (changelog at https://www.filevoyager.com/doc/changelog/).
Glad to see it's still in development, especially glad to see ongoing effort for some VirusTotal integration.
Last edited by webfork on Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (better wording)

FileVoyager

#89 Post by FileVoyager »

Hi guys!
I'm amazed...I uploaded yesterday a new version of FileVoyager (19.12.25) to my website, planning to publish an announcement today.
But...how come TPFC is already aware and has already announced the new version???
You guys are terrific :D

webfork

#90 Post by webfork »

FileVoyager wrote: Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:38 pm Hi guys!
I'm amazed...I uploaded yesterday a new version of FileVoyager (19.12.25) to my website, planning to publish an announcement today.
But...how come TPFC is already aware and has already announced the new version???
You guys are terrific :D
billon deserves all the credit here. Once upon a time, one of the criticisms is that our site would be well behind other freeware tracking projects, but first Checker and then billon not just fixed that but often beat other sites by days or sometimes weeks. It's pretty great.

Also thanks for your continued work on FV.