Md5Checker V3.3

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

Md5Checker V3.3

#1 Post by I am Baas »

Md5Checker is a faster, lightweight and easy-to-use tool to manage, calculate and verify MD5 checksum of multiple files/folders:

• Calculate and display MD5 checksum of multiple files at one time.
• Use MD5 checksum to fleetly verify whether files have been changed.
• Load, save, add, remove and update MD5 checksum conveniently.
http://getmd5checker.com/

More Screenshots

Download @ http://getmd5checker.com/download

webfork

Re: Md5Checker V3.3

#2 Post by webfork »

The site has a good breakdown on "why use my program" which could really be a "why use checksum programs". Its complete and well-written

The program looks good and looks like it'll batch write MD5's (something I've been looking for) but it says it can add folders, but does that mean recursively or just contents of one folder?

I am Baas

#3 Post by I am Baas »

webfork wrote:The program looks good and looks like it'll batch write MD5's (something I've been looking for) but it says it can add folders, but does that mean recursively or just contents of one folder?
Yup, just drag-and-drop a folder onto its gui.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:
webfork wrote:The program looks good and looks like it'll batch write MD5's (something I've been looking for) but it says it can add folders, but does that mean recursively or just contents of one folder?
Yup, just drag-and-drop a folder onto its gui.
Thanks -- will test.

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

So -- before I begin -- I like the idea of not just posting files to the site, but also their MD5 hash. I want someone to be able to quickly download both my file and its checksum and then quickly run something to verify the file downloaded correctly. This probably isn't a big issue for most users, but I still have downloads getting corrupted, probably due to various bad wireless networks I use. There should be an easy, standardized way to figure this out rather than "oh it doesn't work". If you downloaded the file, you should know right away.

To this point, BitTorrent is obviously superior here, but for Web downloads Free Download Manager has come closest: it has a blank where you can fill in an MD5 hash that it will automatically check. However, I also want this whole process to be as easy and seamless as possible. Drag and drop save, drag and drop verify. Anything more and I'll just try redownloading the file.

MD5Checker gets very close to solving this (and other verification needs), and here's how it stacks up:
  • Works with multiple files, but not recursively (no subdirectories).
  • Can save individual hash files, as well all files listed.
  • The program itself is a single file. There are only two other files it uses: a checksum of itself and the settings it saves to Md5Checker.ini.
  • The program can actually do a "self check" which I thought was cool.
So I wanted to see what the hashes looked like so I threw in some files (can drag and drop files, not folders). Here's what the file looks like when you select "save":

CHECKSUM.MD5

Code: Select all

A39E990FAD6E0861395E00CB1A8CFA4D *file listing.csv
F7873B604355798B3DBB5ADE18DDE680 *nv001.txt
65079696D1CA3D3A327233DF933E72C9 *nv002.txt
885493409D1AFACF05A16F755231809F *nv006.txt
7C94E0B0317662B2E8B8AC8B9E3D90DF *nv012.txt
Unfortunately, IgorWare Hasher couldn't use this file to verify anything, so I'm guessing other MD5 checkers would also have a problem. However, when you select select "save each" this is the file that's created:

NV002.TXT.MD5

Code: Select all

65079696D1CA3D33627233DF93BE72C9 *nv002.txt
IgorWare Hasher could read that fine. (Oddly IgorWare couldn't automatically see the [same file name].md5, but that's not MD5Checker's fault.)

Wishlist (roughly in order of want/need):
  • If you drag and drop either the file or the MD5, there should be an option to automatically check against the other if present (of course with a cancel button in case you drop in a really big file).
  • Of course recursive capabilities along with relative pathways for the regular Save function as well as recursively create checksum files for the Save Each feature.
  • Despite the name, wish it would do SHA-1 (for better security) as well as CRC checksums (for routine system checking)
Last edited by webfork on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (cut the irrelevant bit about UDP)

I am Baas

#6 Post by I am Baas »

@webfork
• Works with multiple files, but not recursively (no subdirectories).
Draging & droping a folder onto Md5Checker works fine for me. The folder (and subfolders) is processed automatically. This should be enabled by default:

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Just doublechecked via both drag and drop and the menu, its not pulling in files unless I specifically select them (e.g. not whole folders or if drag in a folder).

Must be a bug.

I am Baas

#8 Post by I am Baas »

webfork wrote:Must be a bug.
To resolve... get a Win 7 machine :lol: You are correct re. the menu option but drag & drop works fine for me. Version 3.3 was released in 2007. I will try to contact the developer.

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:
webfork wrote:Must be a bug.
To resolve... get a Win 7 machine :lol: You are correct re. the menu option but drag & drop works fine for me. Version 3.3 was released in 2007. I will try to contact the developer.
Hehe ... that would work.

I looked all over the website for some kind of bug reporting / contact method. Feel weird posting it in the guestbook.

guinness

#10 Post by guinness »

A little strange that there is no contact page.

guinness

#11 Post by guinness »

Md5Checker 3.3 is released
Monday, 24 December 2007 15:07
Quite a long time since they've updated, it would be nice if they could support more hash algorithms.

Tested: Portable

Igor

#12 Post by Igor »

webfork wrote:Unfortunately, IgorWare Hasher couldn't use this file to verify anything, so I'm guessing other MD5 checkers would also have a problem.
This was a bug in IgorWare Hasher (fixed in v1.4.4), it would display message "Hash not found for selected input file" even if hash is found (but it would still load verification value). :oops:
webfork wrote: IgorWare Hasher could read that fine. (Oddly IgorWare couldn't automatically see the [same file name].md5, but that's not MD5Checker's fault.)
That's because it tries to load files with "filename.md5" naming pattern used by Total Commander and Free Commander, I changed it now so it searches for both "filename.md5" and "filename.ext.md5".

guinness

#13 Post by guinness »

guinness wrote:
Quite a long time since they've updated, it would be nice if they could support more hash algorithms.

I retract that statement as the SFV (CRC32) filetype is unstable when used for checking file integrity.

giulia

#14 Post by giulia »

guinness wrote:
guinness wrote:

I retract that statement as the SFV (CRC32) filetype is unstable when used for checking file integrity.
hi
i really like this program
may i know why is not in the list of the portable program?

thanks

webfork

#15 Post by webfork »

giulia wrote:why is not in the list of the portable program?
Feel free to add it. Reasons I haven't ...
  1. It only supports MD5 and my hashing needs lately are really only three things:
    • CRC32 for basic system / backup verification
    • Combination MD5, SHA1, and SHA256 for VirusTotal checks (done for posting here on the site)
    • If I do have a hash check to do, it doesn't always come in the form of MD5 so I'd like to have a tool that does more than just one check.
  2. There are a wealth of great options out right now and both Multihasher and RapidCRC Unicode have pretty much covered everything I need.