BES - corral CPU-hungry programs

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Marc

BES - corral CPU-hungry programs

#1 Post by Marc »

BES = Battle Encoder Shirase

I haven't tested it for portability, but I hope someone does and it will get added to the database...
Description
Free software that controls per-process CPU usage: an “active” software CPU cooler.
http://mion.faireal.net/BES/

Nothing fancy. It just throttles CPU-hungry application(s) when asked. I made it simply because I really needed it myself.

BES works on Vista/Win7/etc. too (if necessary, run it in the XP compatible mode — probably not necessary), but perhaps you should run it with the admin privileges (right click > "Run as Administrator").

To Gamers: Adjust the Sleep/Awake Cycle in [Control] so that the video won’t get jumpy/choppy.
Author Website

http://mion.faireal.net/BES/

Downloads Links

http://mion.faireal.net/archive/BES/bes_1.6.2.zip
http://mion.faireal.net/archive/BES/test/BES1.7.0.26.7z

webfork

Re: BES – Battle Encoder Shirase

#2 Post by webfork »

Interesting program that I'd definitely have on my machine if I ever re-install Google Drive, which ran constantly at 90% for no discernible reason. Sort of reminds me of a simpler, open source version of Process Lasso. This might be compared to renice for Unix, even though that program doesn't actually limit processes so much as it makes it play nice with others.

The name is evidently an inside joke, meaningful only to the author. Should this ever get added to the database, I'd recommend just calling it BES.

Screenshot:

Enternal

#3 Post by Enternal »

The name is probably a reference to the anime named Battle Programmer Shirase. Guess he is a fan of that rather old anime haha.

EDIT: And I was correct in my guess. I just took a look at his site and he clearly referenced that anime and another one lol.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

Enternal wrote:I just took a look at his site and he clearly referenced that anime and another one lol.
I guess I should say a small group rather than just the author. :)

billon

Re: BES - corral CPU-hungry programs

#5 Post by billon »

Still developed:
Version 1.7.7 (stable) – December 3, 2017
Version 1.8.0.17 (test) – August 17, 2019

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

I've been using Daphne and Splat to help reduce bad behavior by processes, but I think I'll be making room for BES. The program uses less than a meg of RAM to control all the others and seems to work fine. Will give it a try in the weeks ahead with a system that often loses its grip.

While the program only limits 3 processes, but that's fine in my case as there are really only 3 processes on my system causing problems.

Still appears to be portable.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

I've been doing some additional testing with BES at some length and so far very pleased. I can see it temporarily suspending some processes (ones that I can't actually close or uninstall) listed in the Task Manager. It is actively taking the edge off some unfriendly processes.

In terms of wider adoption, the interface is odd and I dislike having to turn off the functions before closing. the program warns you, but causing system instability because you don't read a warning message is a problem. Still, I can't deny it's value. The program itself is good enough to stay under 1% CPU usage and doesn't seem to be frustrated as a 32-bit program that's managing 64-bit processes.

Andrew Lee

#8 Post by Andrew Lee »

webfork, I know this is an old topic, but any reason why you haven't added this program?

I have been looking for something to throttle a video encoder recently, and BES seems to do the job quite easily. It's lightweight and works. Is there something I've missed?

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:00 am webfork, I know this is an old topic, but any reason why you haven't added this program?
Yeah I'm not trying to rain on the program or the hard work by the developer over time but ...
  • General confusion - my general preference is to post about programs that I either enjoy using myself or think will resonate with the majority of users. The odd interface and a program name would put off many users.
  • Limitations - Only works with 3 processes and it's unclear why. If you either haven't figured out which program is causing delays or you have more than 3 programs that are grabbing all the processor they can, that's not helpful.
  • Alternatives - A number of other programs worked fine to modify the behavior of process-hungry tools, including the Splat launcher, Daphne process manager, and CPU Balance. In my testing, a combination of these tools seemed to cover almost every resource hog situation, and didn't require as much effort.

Andrew Lee

#10 Post by Andrew Lee »

Thanks! I agree that the 3-process limitation could be a potential bummer. I will go check your other suggestions out, esp. CPU Balance.