Isotoxin - Tox client [discontinued]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
smaragdus

Re: Isotoxin

#76 Post by smaragdus »

@joby_toss

Go to Settings -> "Networks" -> "Add new network connection" -> "Tox protocol":

It will open "Network network" window, choose "Import configuration from file":

and point to the Tox ID file created by MirandaNG- I suppose it should be "some name.tox" and Isotoxin should be able to load it. I tested that with a Tox ID file created by qTox and Isotoxin was able to load it- please note that qTox and Toxygen use "name.tox" Tox ID files while Isotoxin uses its own "name.profile" Tox ID file which can be exported to "name.tox".

Besides Tox protocol Isotoxin also supports LAN protocol and Jabber protocol and "Isotoxin supports simultaneous connections to multiple networks".

I suppose that your Tox ID created by MirandaNG should not be incompatible with the current Tox core.

If you want to delete a Tox ID profile just go to Isotoxin folder and delete "name.profile" file corresponding to the profile you want to delete.

Warning!:
Important! New profile no longer compatible with old versions of Isotoxin's (profile will be automatically upgraded). If you want to use old version of Isotoxin, please, backup profile (btw, Isotoxin backups your profile every start, see backup path in system settings)
I hope this will help. If you encounter problems with Isotoxin please tell me.

You may also contact the developer directly via the forum or via the contact page.

For me Isotoxin is the most advanced Tox client, for example see this:

and as far as I know the developer is currently working on new features, some of which will work only Isotoxin-to-Isotoxin because they will be client-specific, not supported by Tox core.

JohnTHaller

Re: Isotoxin - a portable Tox client for Windows

#77 Post by JohnTHaller »

From our release announcement: "While Isotoxin is natively portable, our package contains a few enhancements. In addition to being in PortableApps.com Format for easy backups and upgrades, this package is designed to keep its profile backups, temporary message handling directory, and temporary image send directories self-contained within the Data directory instead of stored on the local machine's TEMP path, enhancing privacy and security. The paths are automatically adjusted as the app is moved.

I chose Isotoxin as our first Tox app as both qTox and uTox have issues with their portable implementation and can leak data to the local machine. We can clean it up afterwards with our launcher in both cases, but Isotoxin allowed for a cleaner implementation."
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

ozziguy

#78 Post by ozziguy »

Hi Mr Haller

I have a problem with isotoxin.exe using 500+mb of memory. Any idea why ?
Attachments
2017-01-25_195144.jpg

joby_toss

#79 Post by joby_toss »

Finally, I got it working now, thanks to smaragdus' guide! Thank you!

I'll put my Tox ID in my signature.

JohnTHaller

#80 Post by JohnTHaller »

ozziguy wrote:I have a problem with isotoxin.exe using 500+mb of memory. Any idea why ?
Sorry, I don't. I don't build isotoxin itself, I just packaged it in PortableApps.com Format.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

freakazoid

#81 Post by freakazoid »

ozziguy wrote:I have a problem with isotoxin.exe using 500+mb of memory. Any idea why ?
Yikes! 500MB RAM is enough to deter me from using this app!

Can anyone else duplicate this?
is it stealth? ;)

joby_toss

#82 Post by joby_toss »

Not here, not yet...

webfork

#83 Post by webfork »

freakazoid wrote:Can anyone else duplicate this?
RAM usage on Win7x86,
  • The natively portable version is running at 31 megs
  • The PA version is running at about the same level + 616k for the wrapper
PA profile import note:
  • You can port old profile files from the application folder to Data\config. So for example if your profile name is test123, save the file to IsotoxinPortable\Data\config\test123.profile before launch.
500MB RAM is enough to deter me from using this app!
Obviously I can't duplicate the RAM issue, but overall the program has been very responsive and quick to open, which is one reason I really like it.

ozziguy

#84 Post by ozziguy »

I may have solved the ram issue. I think it was to do with the dictionaries because i downloaded them all and spell check was enabled

Eventually i deleted all the dictionaries, disabled spell check, then restarted and the memory is now very low :-)

smaragdus

Re: Isotoxin 0.4.511

#85 Post by smaragdus »

Isotoxin at version 0.4.511, changes:
  • replaced some macros: %CONFIG% -> {ConfigPath}, %CONTACTID% -> {ContactId} (these macros will be automatically replaced in config)
  • added some macros: {DownloadPath}, {ContactName}
  • updates are downloaded to %TEMP% instead of {ConfigPath} now
  • some default temp paths changed to {ConfigPath}\temp in portable mode
  • profiles (*.profile files) are moved to {ConfigPath}\profile
  • default conversation font size increased to 14 (previous value was 12)
  • It is possible to disable video capture by default. "Video call" and "Camera" buttons will be disabled.
  • Minimal camera resolution decreased to 160 pixels of width (previous value was 640)
  • Do not set "Away" status by inactivity while call
  • Fixed voice playback issue
  • Folder shares - you can share any folder to your friend
Once (on 2017-01-19) webfork requested Folder share capability and in the next release it is already implemented:

Many thanks to the developer who is very helpful and to this day I have not heard "No" from him. His exceptional attention to details and to users's requests and suggestions validate his motto Born for coding. Isotoxin has become the ultimate secure messenger for desktop- serverless, stable, robust, powerful, customizable, good-looking and of course- portable. Isotoxin is great, the problem is that people simply do not care for privacy.
Last edited by smaragdus on Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

#86 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:Once (on 2017-01-19) Folder share capability and in the next release it is already implemented
This has been on my wishlist since testing WASTE way back in the day. Great news! :)
smaragdus wrote:the problem is that people simply do not care for privacy.
I think these things take time to progress. I suspect with time we'll see a good feature set and stable development drive Tox clients like Isotoxin. When the open, serverless, and secure toolset doesn't die like so many others that have come and gone over the years, we'll see it take off.

smaragdus

Re: Isotoxin 0.4.513

#87 Post by smaragdus »

Isotoxin at version 0.4.513, changes:

Isotoxin 0.4.513
  • New: search option "Search entire phrases"
  • Fixed: some folder share issues
  • Fixed: import tox profile (friends were not imported)
  • Fixed: tox connection (friends are offline after reconnect)
  • Removed: Advanced->Video calls options. Codec settings were moved to advanced connection options.
  • Added: advanced connection options. Now you can edit advanced options individually per connection
  • Custom list of tox nodes can be selected via advanced options
Last edited by smaragdus on Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

#88 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:Folder share capability
Updated entry to reflect the new feature.

smaragdus

Re: Isotoxin 0.4.514

#89 Post by smaragdus »

Isotoxin at version 0.4.514, changes:

Isotoxin 0.4.514
  • fix: tox nodes were not loaded (bad connectivity of tox introduced in 0.4.513)
  • fix: tox invite accept of friend from active conference
  • fix: "Show inline images" checkbox works now
  • fix: ringtone sound if audio conference
  • fix: now esc key turns fullscreen video off instead of minimize

Midas

Re: TRIfA (Tox client for Android)

#90 Post by Midas »

Quick note to post about a newly found Tox client for Android: TRIfA (Tox Reference Implementation for Android: https://github.com/zoff99/ToxAndroidRefImpl) -- whatever that means... (untested!)
ZIP package download from the repo above; installation available from f-droid.org: https://f-droid.org/wiki/page/com.zoffc ... ions.trifa.