SigcheckGUI - file information and hashing

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
__philippe

Re: SigcheckGUI

#16 Post by __philippe »

TP109 wrote:Agreed. It is a very useful app. Runs on XP too.
SigcheckGUI XP compatibility restriction:
(runs on XP)...Provided SigcheckGUI front-end is calling Sysinternal's SigCheck.exe version 2.3 or older.

From v2.4 onward, SigCheck.exe requires Vista, Win7 or higher.

__philippe
Last edited by __philippe on Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

skwire

#17 Post by skwire »

Without me looking too deeply, is what you're describing different than the File > Export CSV file option that SigcheckGUI already has?

webfork

#18 Post by webfork »

skwire wrote:Without me looking too deeply, is what you're describing different than the File > Export CSV file option that SigcheckGUI already has?
The CSV export has a TON of data so the aim behind the spreadsheet was to create a tighter, forum-friendly output. In fact, I started out with the first step in the process being an "Export CSV file" before I figured out you added a "copy row" functionality. So for instance your Splat distro output looks like this:

File Data

• Filename: Splat.zip
    MD5: 0B05DCBF9B23110758392465A910B069
    SHA1: E89937634506C716B8A173795C8C8874904A91FF
    SHA256: E5663CD84DA6DCD742F0AF0833478BC9EA33F915AE00E70DCACAFF5EC52CC1F5
    VirusTotal Rating: 04/54
    VirusTotal URL: https://www.virustotal.com/file/e5663cd ... /analysis/
Ultimately it makes it easier to output clear file data, which I like doing whenever reporting on a program here in forms.

skwire

#19 Post by skwire »

webfork wrote:So for instance your Splat distro output looks like this:
Ultimately it makes it easier to output clear file data, which I like doing whenever reporting on a program here in forms.
Is this something you typically do for single files? Or, is it something that you typically load up several files and want the same output for all of them?

webfork

#20 Post by webfork »

skwire wrote:Is this something you typically do for single files? Or, is it something that you typically load up several files and want the same output for all of them?
While I can imagine some times when I'd like it to handle lists of files, right now I only do single files (distros). This forum has to deal with dead mirrors and false positives a lot, making quick and easy hash plus VirusTotal output very helpful.

Not every forum messes with that stuff so that's why I think it might be a niche thing.

webfork

#21 Post by webfork »

Another Formatting Spreadsheet Update: I figured out my spreadsheet and TP109's were both formatting the VT ratio incorrectly. TP109 also made some updates. Here are the latest downloads:

skwire

#22 Post by skwire »

webfork, do you use an AutoHotkey "system" script? That is, an always running AHK script that you use as part of your day-to-day computer use? If so, and even if not, I can write a very short clipboard-changer script that would do what you're doing now with a minimum of fuss. Basically, copy the row data like you're doing and then run a single hotkey. Bam. Done.

I have a boatload of these little clipboard-changers written that I use for all sorts of different things. Let me know...

webfork

#23 Post by webfork »

skwire wrote:webfork, do you use an AutoHotkey "system" script? That is, an always running AHK script that you use as part of your day-to-day computer use? If so, and even if not, I can write a very short clipboard-changer script that would do what you're doing now with a minimum of fuss. Basically, copy the row data like you're doing and then run a single hotkey. Bam. Done.

I have a boatload of these little clipboard-changers written that I use for all sorts of different things. Let me know...
No I don't have anything like that. Please do send something my way.

TP109

#24 Post by TP109 »

I updated the SigCheckGUI spreadsheet to include a button to open the SigCheckGUI application in Exel and to include the product version in the results.

To enable the button to open SigCheckGUI on your system:
1. click Tools-->Macro-->Visual Basic Editor or ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor.
2. Double-click Module4 under VBAProject (sigcheckgui-formatting_v2.21.xls) to open the editor window.
3. Change the path in Shell ("F:\Utilities\SigcheckGUI\SigcheckGUI.exe") to the SigCheckGUI.exe path for your system.
4. Click File-->Save or CNTL + S
5. Click File-->Close and Return to Microsoft Excel
5. The button should be ready to use

Uploaded the spreadsheet to:
http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?fi ... 3970919444
Last edited by TP109 on Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

#25 Post by webfork »

Sweet! Thanks for doing that.

Note that including a GPG/PGP signature doesn't mean anything without some route to get your public key.

TP109

#26 Post by TP109 »

webfork wrote:Note that including a GPG/PGP signature doesn't mean anything without some route to get your public key.
Yep, forgot. Was spiffing up my Gpg automation program and didn't add that part yet. Fixed now. Next files will include a public key.

webfork

#27 Post by webfork »

TP109 wrote:Yep, forgot. Was spiffing up my Gpg automation program and didn't add that part yet. Fixed now. Next files will include a public key.
This is one of those moments where the whole PGP/GPG thing is a little opaque: if someone was really trying to subvert your project, they could just create their own key+signature and include that and the signature in the distro. The only way to tell would be to check with you about the key fingerprint or verify the key with some online database.

You could solve this by storing the key elsewhere (like one of the online databases) or including your GPG fingerprint in (for example) your PFW sig.

I'm all in favor of GPG (as per my article on file distro accessories), but if that sounds over-complicated, that's part of why it's not widely used.

TP109

#28 Post by TP109 »

I was going to update the spreadsheet to include last modified date and file size, and found that SigCheckGUI doesn't provide that info. I tried VBA code to insert that info into the spreadsheet instead and discovered a lot of VBA incompatibility issues with OO and LibreOffice. Also, Softmaker Office doesn't run VBA code at all - at least for the versions I have. There are all kinds of posts all over the web about VBA compatibility issues between Excel and OSS apps like OO and LibreOffice. Goes to show that these apps are not 100% compatible. The current spreadsheet, v2.21, runs correctly in LibreOffice or OO.

Anyway, the simplest solution is to just copy that information from SigCheckGUI into the spreadsheet, so I contacted the developer and asked if he could revise SigCheckGUI to include the last modified date and file size. The developer agreed and said he would work on that shortly. When that occurs I will update the spreadsheet.

webfork

#29 Post by webfork »

TP109 wrote:Goes to show that these apps are not 100% compatible.
That's probably by design both on the LibreOffice and Microsoft side. For LibreOffice, they might want to skip out on security issues. Microsoft meanwhile has an ongoing practice of breaking it's own specs in order to resist other programs' integration of it's technology. I wouldn't be surprised if the same were being applied to VBA, which is already a closed protocol.

I suspect the only reason they tried to support it is so many requests (I found a *lot* of VBA references when looking for office automation tools). Meanwhile, the LibreOffice feature comparison lists support for multiple languages, though only basic support for VBA: https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Fea ... oft_Office (scroll down to "Macro scripting languages")
TP109 wrote:The current spreadsheet, v2.21, runs correctly in LibreOffice or OO.
Excellent :)

skwire

#30 Post by skwire »

I just posted v1.1.2 which has the requested filesize and modified date columns.
Website | Download
v1.1.2 - 2016-09-03
+ Added file size (KB) and last modified datetime columns. (Thanks, tp109)
+ Added sorting arrows to the columns. (Thanks, telealex)