WildGem - Regex but without the confusion

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Andrew Lee

Re: WildGem - Regex but without the confusion

#16 Post by Andrew Lee »

@twinbee:

Do you have any idea why the layout of WildGem looks screwy on my PC?

Note: I am using the latest version of Windows 10
wildgem.png

Midas

#17 Post by Midas »

Same here...

twinbee

#18 Post by twinbee »

I also use and develop on Windows 10 and I'm having issues reproducing the bug, apart from if I adjust the screen with custom Windows scaling modes - which is a feature that's rarely used and generally not recommended according to Microsoft.

Can you Right click on your desktop, select "Display settings", and see what number you get for the "Scale and layout" and also the "Custom scaling" number if you click "Advanced scaling settings" as shown in the image below. If you don't have a custom scale set, it'll just say "100 - 500" as it does in mine.

dpi.png

Midas

#19 Post by Midas »

I already know my scale is set to 125% -- otherwise text will be close to unreadable on my FHD monitor...

twinbee

#20 Post by twinbee »

Is that "custom 125%", or "Windows default 125%" ? Believe it or not, they cause Windows to scale differently. If it is custom, it'll give the "125%" number in the Custom scaling section.

Andrew Lee

#21 Post by Andrew Lee »

Believe or not, I am using custom 150%!

I am using a 14" laptop, 1080p screen. Even 125% is too small for my elderly eyesight! :oops:

And yes, I am the guy who sets the font scaling to max on my Android phone.

twinbee

#22 Post by twinbee »

And yes, I am the guy who sets the font scaling to max on my Android phone.
To be fair, fonts tend to be too small in GUIs and on the web these days.
Believe or not, I am using custom 150%!
Aha, just as a temporary test, can you try switching from "Custom 150%" to the standard Windows 150% ? It should pretty similar in terms of scaling to what you have currently, and I'm guessing and hoping Wildgem will work properly then. You can always (and easily) switch back if you like, (though Microsoft recommend against using the "custom scaling" section).

To switch to Windows' default 150%, simply right click on your desktop, select "Display settings", click "Turn off custom scaling and sign out" and sign out and in, followed by setting "Scale and layout" to 150%. Make sure to restart your laptop afterwards, as (misleadingly) simply signing out doesn't fully complete the rescaling process. Image below to help you:

dpi2.png

Midas

#23 Post by Midas »

I don't believe mine is Custom, I think it was even set from the get go. Here's what it is:

Andrew Lee

#24 Post by Andrew Lee »

So I changed to standard scaling as you suggested, and yes, the layout problem is gone, but it made me remember why I turned on custom scaling in the first place: the blurry font problem.
screenshot.png
Notice how in the screenshot, the text in the title bar (first red arrow) is much sharper than the application text (second red arrow). This happens for a few other apps as well, chief among them Q-Dir.

I googled around and found this: https://wpvkp.com/fix-blurry-text-windows-10/

The first comment:
John Says:

I found a permanent way. Open display settings and enter the current scaling factor, but manually. In my case, the current one is 125%, so I entered 125 as custom scaling. After signing out and in again the blurriness was removed from all apps without their size reducing (as in the compatibility fix). No need for an extra tool. I am running Windows 10 May 2019 update on a 15\” screen 1920×1080 resolution laptop.
says it all.

I don't remember all the details now, but I do remember struggling with the small font when I first bought this new laptop, and also encountering the blurry font problem when trying to fix it. I must have googled and stumbled upon the custom DPI method. That fixed both problems (small font + blurry font), so I must have kept the setting and it worked OK for me from then on.

Unfortunately, I have to move back to the custom DPI setting because this current situation with blurry font on a few of my favorite apps is intolerable and a huge eye sore!

Midas

#25 Post by Midas »

FYI, I usually solve the blurry text in legacy applications by right-clicking the executable, selecting "Properties" from the Context Menu, going to the "Compatibility" tab and the "High DPI Settings" button, where I let them be overridden by the Application -- something which may require admin privileges...

twinbee

#26 Post by twinbee »

Unfortunately, I have to move back to the custom DPI setting because this current situation with blurry font on a few of my favorite apps is intolerable and a huge eye sore!
Acknowledged. Since I can at least reproduce the problem now, I'll see if I can give it a crack and fix the scaling for all modes.

Midas said:
I don't believe mine is Custom, I think it was even set from the get go. Here's what it is:
You're right, that's not custom. It's strange, since I wouldn't have expected scaling issues since you're not using a custom mode. I even tried turning on the "Let Windows try to fix apps so they're no blurry" mode, and it still works for me. Unfortunately, I can't reproduce the bug with your specific setup (125%, non-custom).

Hopefully the forthcoming fix that would help Andrew Lee would also help you too.

Andrew Lee

#27 Post by Andrew Lee »

Midas wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:36 am FYI, I usually solve the blurry text in legacy applications by right-clicking the executable, selecting "Properties" from the Context Menu, going to the "Compatibility" tab and the "High DPI Settings" button, where I let them be overridden by the Application -- something which may require admin privileges...
Thanks for the suggestion. But that would also mean those applications will now display with the same small font that I was trying to avoid in the first place!

High DPI is a real mess for legacy Windows app. Silverlight was supposed to be the solution, but we all know how that went..

SYSTEM

#28 Post by SYSTEM »

Andrew Lee wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:15 pm High DPI is a real mess for legacy Windows app. Silverlight was supposed to be the solution, but we all know how that went..
WPF is a huge improvement for DPI handling, but still requires custom code in some cases (especially if you can't require the latest version): https://sourceforge.net/p/keppi/code/HE ... ml.cs#l524

And of course, this does nothing to legacy programs which aren't about to get rewritten with .NET...
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Midas

#29 Post by Midas »

Andrew Lee wrote: But that would also mean those applications will now display with the same small font that I was trying to avoid in the first place!

You're absolutely right. But for my quarter-sized enhancement, most do fine with it -- or look better, at least, than the irking blurriness shown by default...

twinbee wrote: Unfortunately, I can't reproduce the bug with your specific setup (125%, non-custom).

It's no biggie, thanks for looking at it. 8)

twinbee

#30 Post by twinbee »

WildGem Version 1.60 out now! Download at the usual place:

http://www.skytopia.com/software/wildgem/

Andrew and Midas: Should hopefully work for both of you now. I tested on Windows 10 and Windows 7 at 1920x1080 and 1360x768 using scalings of 100%, 125%, 150% and 175% (and more) with both Windows XP style scaling and normal.

v1.60 is also improved over v1.50 in a few other key areas too:

- Text is now sharp with or without the custom scaling that Windows offers.

- The Optional symbol now plays more nicely with other operators.

- The Lf end of line code is now default and used when loading a text file, unless you tick the new option "Don't force LF".

- The NewLine symbol has been split out of the Start/End symbol for more versatility. The dedicated Start/End anchor symbol is a must for many scenarios and has been a long time coming.

- Icons have been rearranged and improved documentation.