StackNotes

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
h3kt0r

Re: StackNotes

#31 Post by h3kt0r »

Hi there !

Well, a lot has happened in the last few months; my old computer finally died. I moved to a new town. Had a girl friend then got dumped. Bought a new computer. I've looked to release a new version of "StackNotes" but since my new machine is running "Windows 10" and is X64, i've ran into "incompatibility" issues. I don't know exactly why, but the compiler produces a binary that won't run on this system. I've had success in producing a fixed DLL for the "magnifyer" plugin that works ok under W10 x64 and the version 1.0.3.1a of StackNotes is running fine on my new system. But i can't produce a new version of the program at this point.
I'll upload the fixed DLL on SourceForge, but i'm afraid you won't see a new StackNotes release for a while.
Unlikely, either i find a fix for the compiler which has no support (the company went out of business).
Or perhaps i could totally rewrite StackNotes from the bottom up in another programming language (like "IWBasic" or "PureBasic").
Anyhow, this will take some time...

/* EDIT */

So...
I've just recompiled an older version (1.0.2.7) and the resulting binary ran fine on windows 10 (x64).
I'll have to make a diff between this source and the latest one to find which part of the code is at fault.
Hopefully you will see a new version of the program with additional features in the near future.
Be patient.

/* EDIT */

h3kt0r

#32 Post by h3kt0r »

Okay ! Took me a day of work, but the program is now fully compatible with Windows 10... It was easier than expected. Trouble was coming from the DLL wich i removed after integrating its function into the main program.

smaragdus

#33 Post by smaragdus »

@h3kt0r

I am glad you are doing fine and you found time to go back to StackNotes and release a new version (1.0.3.2)- I have not tested it yet but I hope I will do it soon.

I hope that you feel fine in the new town and that you will find a nicer girl-friend.

By the way in what language is StackNotes written?

A suggestion about SourceForge files page - you may rename Latest to Archive.

xor

#34 Post by xor »

I really like the concept and functionality of this App and I intend to implement it in my daily workflow for my simplistic ToDo tasks. A few notes:
1. No save buttonbutton so I assume it saves my notes (tasks) automatically but every now and then I open my .stz file just to find out it's empty. The Save As option forces me to use a different filename, Win10 here
2. When trying the encryption plugin SN just crashes
3. I suggest to have more Line colors to categorize my tasks (eg Work tasks, personal tasks, School tasks, etc)
4. Some kind of desktop <-> smartphone synchronization would really come in handy (futuristic request)
5. Thank you, awesome work developing StackNotes

EDIT: In short: So, I added 3 new notes... now, How to save changes?, Next time I open, they're gone

smaragdus

Re: StackNotes 1.0.3.3

#35 Post by smaragdus »

StackNotes at version 1.0.3.3, changes:
--(updated Saturday 27th May, 2017)--
version 1.0.3.3
- what's new : Fixed bug with the "Undo" function introduced in previous
version. Fixed invalid palette for menus glyphs by turning bitmaps to 8 bits
and 2 colors. Added Color Themes to the program with 3 choices : "Classic",
"Midnight" and "Sunny".
Images

StackNotes - themes

StackNotes - themes - midnight

StackNotes - themes - sunny

Details

File details for StackNotes version 1.0.3.3 released on 2017-05-27.

Name: StackNotes_v1.0.3.3.zip
File Size: 630282 Byte(s) (615.51 KB)
Modified Date: 2017-05-27 11:26
MD5: 7d1216f49f09d01ff4f3cedf6238564f
SHA1: 1769739a2c89a35edc77483b4659ba781b8dbf9d
SHA256: f959904fd8a162ea6e1cd28794f9a0ff299360458096a0a9fb1dec01de8bc3c7
SHA512: ed914e3bca14502b3b49f1fc863c03c09a053201baec5c4f26b604423b7e64ef880fefdfdd8fbd7a0adfd647de5fbb73cc1a75a858ca6f6aa399b47cb4b8dfc7

VirusTotal analysis
SHA256: f959904fd8a162ea6e1cd28794f9a0ff299360458096a0a9fb1dec01de8bc3c7
File name: StackNotes_v1.0.3.3.zip
Detection ratio: 20 / 59
Analysis date: 2017-05-28 20:51:41 UTC

Note
I am absolutely certain that this is a false positive but anyway- use at your own risk. Antivirus software becomes more and more unreliable and protection- more and more illusive. I do believe that the only reasonable protection on Windows is common sense. Windows is more porous than the most porous cheese and it should not be called Windows but Doors (I do not want to blaspheme the great group) and more precisely- Backdoors, backdoors to any sort of malware and to any 3-letter agencies intrusion.

h3kt0r

#36 Post by h3kt0r »

@smaragdus StackNotes was written in Basic. The IDE and compiler is iBasic Pro, which is now a dead product.
But somebody has bought the source for it, made some modifications and resurrected it under a new name : "iWBasic".
Go to http://www.ionicwind.com/ to learn more about this Basic compiler.
xor wrote:I really like the concept and functionality of this App and I intend to implement it in my daily workflow for my simplistic ToDo tasks. A few notes:
1. No save buttonbutton so I assume it saves my notes (tasks) automatically but every now and then I open my .stz file just to find out it's empty. The Save As option forces me to use a different filename, Win10 here
2. When trying the encryption plugin SN just crashes
3. I suggest to have more Line colors to categorize my tasks (eg Work tasks, personal tasks, School tasks, etc)
4. Some kind of desktop <-> smartphone synchronization would really come in handy (futuristic request)
5. Thank you, awesome work developing StackNotes

EDIT: In short: So, I added 3 new notes... now, How to save changes?, Next time I open, they're gone
1. Actually you must quit the program so it can zip your padfile. If you logout, restart or shutdown your computer
without having properly quit the program first, then the changes are not saved.
But whenever you want to save the file you're working on, just go to the "File" menu and select your file at the bottom
of the menu in the MRU list. It will save it, zip it then re-open it on the fly.
(You can also right-click on the TOC view to acces the MRU menu).
However, if this behaviour is bugging you and other users, i can disable the autosave feature and change the
"File | Backup" menu entry to a a more classic "File | Save" feature.
Just tell me...

2. It may crash sometimes, i know. I think it has to do with the way i made the program build the command line sent
to "AESCrypt". It worked fine under WinXP. I'll look into that ASAP.
/* EDIT */
--> Bug has been squashed, problem is solved as of version 1.0.3.4a
(May 30th 2017).
Works fine under Windows 10 now...
/* EDIT */

3. Hrrrmm. I don't think this is a good idea. There are already a lot of colours in "StackNotes".
Adding more may rather bring confusion than clarity. "More" isn't always better.

4. :roll: I don't know anything about programming for smartphones. I'm just a hobbyist programmer, learnt to program by
reading source codes. A lot. For years. And "StackNotes" is what came out of it.

5. Well, thank you ! You're welcome :wink:
Last edited by h3kt0r on Mon May 29, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

xor

#37 Post by xor »

@h3kt0r
well, that's a clear enough explanation for me. I'm sure SN will move forward and will keep improving because it's based on a very cool idea.

smaragdus

Re: StackNotes 1.0.3.6

#38 Post by smaragdus »

StackNotes at version 1.0.3.6, latest changes:
--(updated Thursday 01st June, 2017)--
version 1.0.3.5
- what's new : Added French language support. Improved the Autoscroll function.
Added "Peru" color theme.
--(updated Friday 02nd June, 2017)--
version 1.0.3.6
- what's new : Fixed a bug which prevented a padfile to be opened right after
the "AESCrypt" plugin was closed. Fixed a color bug with the toolbar when
program started with no padfile to open. Fixed a bug producing an invalid path
inside drag'n drop routine. Added a "Password Generator" plugin.
The new Peru theme with the coloured tool-bar:

@h3kt0r
I like the available themes (Classic, Midnight, Peru, Sunny) but I would much appreciate a Forest (Green) theme with dark-green and light-green stripes because I am insatiable of green colour.

smaragdus

Re: StackNotes 1.0.3.6a

#39 Post by smaragdus »

StackNotes at version 1.0.3.6a, changes:
--(updated Sunday 04th June, 2017)--
version 1.0.3.6a
- what's new : Upon user request, removed the "Backup" function under "File"
menu and replaced it with the classical "Save" function. Also, revised the
"Save AS..." function to behave properly. Added a color theme ("Deepsky").
Cleaned up and recompiled the Help file reducing its size by a half.
Started to work on a "Reminder" plugin...
StackNotes version 1.0.3.6a - Deepsky theme:

Flea

#40 Post by Flea »

Hi, I just descovered StackNotes and consider it as a potential replacement for my current notes-taking program. But there is one thing, that immediately is a show stopper for me: the small window size.
Is there a way to make the prgram window bigger? Especialy the height limit is a serious bummer.

Thanks!

h3kt0r

#41 Post by h3kt0r »

@Flea : Which window size would fit your needs ? Do you want to go fullscreen ?

Flea

#42 Post by Flea »

Thanks for replying!
The possibility to go fullscreen (heightwise) would be great!
....or at least double the size regarding the current limit.

I restrained so far from testing your app as an everyday tool, because my notes tend to be vertically lenghty and so I didn't switch fully yet, the small windows lacks convenience for my workflow.
Thanks.

h3kt0r

#43 Post by h3kt0r »

I've raised the size limit to 800x600px.
Tell me if this is okay for you.
(Check the first post for changes log).

Flea

#44 Post by Flea »

Thanks so much.
It is much better, however still very limited with the textarea covering barely 2/3 of available height.
I assume it is due to some technical issue, that you can't unhinge the "vertical restraints"?

Thanks anyway and have a nice weekend.

smaragdus

#45 Post by smaragdus »

The new Olive theme (my favourite so far):