CDisplayEx

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

Re: CDisplayEx

#16 Post by I am Baas »

the_watcher wrote:This is how to intall CDisplayEx as a portable app, according to the post at their forums:
Launch installer and change the default install path to your USB key for example
In the components to install you have to uncheck:
- Uninstallable
- File association
- Thumbnails in Explorer

Finish installation and it will be portable.
1. The Installer will run Open Candy first to scan the host computer
2. Check \user\all\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ for CDisplayEx shortcuts

Userfriendly

#17 Post by Userfriendly »

I am Baas wrote: 1. The Installer will run Open Candy first to scan the host computer
2. Check \user\all\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ for CDisplayEx shortcuts
This is why everyone should always test software especially installers in a VM or sandboxie first. No Exceptions! Also block all opencandy related sites in your HOSTS file just in case.

Midas

#18 Post by Midas »

Userfriendly wrote:This is why everyone should always test software especially installers in a VM or sandboxie first. No Exceptions! Also block all opencandy related sites in your HOSTS file just in case.
  • Totally agree. But we should have a noob friendly tutorial for that here at TPFC, IMHO... :oops:

the_watcher

#19 Post by the_watcher »

I've tried both installers (x86-x64) in sandboxie today. Saw no opencandy stuff in either of them.
I did get the shortcuts in \user\all\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ Baas says in both of them in Sandboxie, but there are no shortcuts or any file related to CDisplay in my regular system (where i've run the setup) outside the folder i chose to "install" -if i can call it that- CDisplay (which was outside of Program Files). I used Εverything to check.
BUT I've tried once more running the x64 installer on a 3rd pc. I got the opencandy stuff there, AND the Windows\Start Menu\Programs\ shortcuts. Seems that when the opencandy stuff are being executed, the installation is continuing in a different way, leaving the shortcuts behind. I had ESET installed at the 2 pc's i run the installer before, and maybe ESET blocked the opencandy stuff before. ESET was not present in that 3rd pc.

I am Baas

#20 Post by I am Baas »

@the_watcher

Check \user\current\AppData\Local\Temp\is-DS40G.tmp for the OCSetupHlp.dll file.
2014-12-10_190708.png
2014-12-10_190708.png (4.64 KiB) Viewed 13035 times

the_watcher

#21 Post by the_watcher »

Yes, I have that file. But that folder is a temp folder. CCleaner will clean it. Does it matter?

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

I don't know how this one slipped past me but I've added a cautionary note to the entry.