jaBuT - a flexible back-up and sync program

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
jabuTBackup

Re: jaBuT - a flexible back-up and sync program

#61 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hello everyone,

update 47 is being released tomorrow. Unfortunately my web-server is down for the moment.
Everything is prepared, all changelogs done.

The changelog for version 47 is:
  1. Added localized weekday names and month names for archive names
  2. Step 1 of the re-implementation of the filter functionality done
  3. Extended the ability to delete empty directories
  4. Added ability to use enviroment variables in source and destination of a profile
  5. File timestamps are now transfered to the destination file (1 to 1 copy)
  6. Directory attributes are now tranfered to the destination directory
  7. Improved the program start up speed by about 14%
  8. Columns are sortable again like before
  9. Fixed error "Balloon hints option not saving"
  10. Fixed error "Progress mode isn't set when calling jabut via command line"
  11. Fixed an error which freezed the program when using "Delete empty directories

jabuTBackup

#62 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hello everyone,

update 47 has been released a few minutes ago.
Some minor bugs have been fixed. Furthermore there are some improvements.

The update can be downloaded, as usual, from the website or through the updater.

Download : http://jabut.de/download#download
Changelog: http://jabut.de/en/changelog#v1147

ozziguy

#63 Post by ozziguy »

Great work and thanks for the update

Unfortunately the timestamps are only working for files, not folders

jabuTBackup

#64 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hi ozziguy! Thank you for this comment.
I've uploaded the new fixed version without this problem. It has the same version number and build number. You can download it through the updater.

Reason for the problem:
I forgot to remove comment in the line where I call the function which transfers the directory attributes and timestamps.

ozziguy

#65 Post by ozziguy »

Nope, same result

Would using xp be the cause ?

I will have to test a new version later. It's bedtime. Thanks again

jabuTBackup

#66 Post by jabuTBackup »

I'll test it on XP this evening =)
I'll give you the feedback after my tests.

-----

Ok I've tested it.
With the newest version file and directory attributes and timestamps are copied correctly on WinXP to Win10.

On XP I've seen very often that downloading through the updater isn't working correctly because the updater uses the IE-Cache.
Maybe try re-downloading the update later. I've made another build to not match the SHA256 Hash.

SYSTEM

#67 Post by SYSTEM »

jabut-backup wrote:Hello everyone,

update 47 has been released a few minutes ago.
Some minor bugs have been fixed. Furthermore there are some improvements.

The update can be downloaded, as usual, from the website or through the updater.

Download : http://jabut.de/download#download
Changelog: http://jabut.de/en/changelog#v1147
Thank you. Entry updated. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

jabuTBackup

#68 Post by jabuTBackup »

Just to inform everyone:
there will be another update with some big changes relating to how parameters are processed.
Processing parameters currently isn't really the best. It's working for the moment but it's not perfect.

ozziguy

#69 Post by ozziguy »

I had another look and still no joy. I noticed that even though the attribute option is ticked, the profile settings info panel does not show it as 'Yes', it's blank

jabuTBackup

#70 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hi Ozziguy,
if this field is blank, it is only a display issue.
If the option is ticked in the advanced option window, everything normally should be transfered to to destination.

For me everything is fine.
The file file_1.dat was created over the weekend. Today I copied it and all timestamps are transfered.
The directory dir was created today 11h 15m 13s and copied 5 minutes later. All timestamps transfered.

Only directory attributs (not timestamps) are copied wrong at the moment. The issue was a simple typing error which has been corrected in Version 48.
Attachments
jB-Attrs.jpg

FileHandler

#71 Post by FileHandler »

Thanks for the recent updates. Exiting the app works fine now. Empty folders are treated as desired.

ATM I am very satisfied with jaBut. Will make it my #1 backup tool as soon as I find enough time to set up my folders for commandline profile call-up.

A few things I came across - nothing major, can easily live with it:
1) The updater doesn't work correctly. For past versions I always had to download a complete copy and replace the files manually. Wouldn't make much difference to leave it out, I guess, easy enough to replace a few files by hand. Importing profiles works fine, btw. :D
2) When starting up a new fresh version, it guides the user through various setings. Some of these "help" dialogs are truncated on high-res DPI settings and not fully visible.
3) The font size in general seems to vary a lot on different machines with high screen resolutions. This is a general problem, ofc, not just with jaBut, but most other apps have come to terms with it somehow or other. Maybe you could offer a font size option for the main window profile list and the preview list.

Thanks for this great tool.

jabuTBackup

#72 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hi FileHandler!
Thanks for the recent updates. Exiting the app works fine now. Empty folders are treated as desired.
You are welcome.
I find enough time to set up my folders for commandline profile call-up.
The command line commands will have again a little improvement with the next update. Nothing will be broken but everything a little bit better.
The updater doesn't work correctly.
What do you mean with "not correctly"? Could you explain it?
(deleted text)- the updater normally downloads all needed files into the directory ~jbUpdateFiles. After that when launching the jaBuT Updater.exe the Updater reads a file and copies everything from ~jbUpdateFiles to the jaBuT base directory.
Could you maybe send me your jaBuT Updater.exe file?
Another problem may be: my webserver is offline very very often at the moment and I don't know why. I hope this will be fixed soon.

(new text) I think I fixed your update problem. The fixed version 48 will be online soon.
Some of these "help" dialogs are truncated
The truncated intro texts just have been fixed =)
a font size option for the main window profile list and the preview list
A few time ago I tried to implement a function which lets the user decide the font size of the whole program. This functionality and the result was really a pain.
But a font resizer function for the profile list and preview list only is a good idea. I will test it out later.

jabuTBackup

#73 Post by jabuTBackup »

Good news: version 48 will contain a full high DPI compatibility.
Furthermore a few minor fixes, a few improvements and some new features.

Release date unknown but it won't be very long.

jabuTBackup

#74 Post by jabuTBackup »

To let everyone know, here is the current changelog for version 48 which isn't finished/online yet but soon.
  1. Added ability to the uninstaller to keep the program settings and profiles
  2. Added ability to add a user defined comment to archives
  3. Added ability to display profile logs for a selected date
  4. Added an option to save logs for a specified time (after that they get deleted)
  5. Added a simple message displaying on main screen when no profiles have been found
  6. Removed the resizing-splitter between profile list and program tips
  7. Option "Close this program when closing" renamed to "Minimize to tray on close"
  8. Improved the Windows 10 compatibility
  9. Improved the function which executes the logout or shutdown of Windows when closing the program
  10. The filename displayed on the details dialouge is now updating every 250ms instead of 1000ms
  11. The program is now asking explicitly for elevate rights
  12. jaBuT Backup is now dpi aware and supports high dpi correctly
  13. The details dialouge is now also being displayed when copying only one big file (>= 100 MB)
  14. Improved the way the program works with parameters
  15. Changed the default profile view from ListWithDetails to Details
  16. Icon-Change: "Log" icon in options has been changed
  17. Icon-Change: all five list view icons have been changed
  18. Fixed some hidden information in details view
  19. Fixed wrong directory attribute transfer
  20. Fixed truncated intro texts
  21. Fixed an empty error message box appearing when starting the program in UAC protected directories
  22. Fixed a problem where the updater was downloading to the wrong location
  23. Fixed the blank labels on details dialouge for the first few seconds
  24. Fixed log exception "The process can not access the file because it is being used by another process"
Attachments
jB-Log.png
jB-IconChange.png
jB-IconChange.png (8.69 KiB) Viewed 68454 times

lintalist

#75 Post by lintalist »

I thought I'd give jaBuT a spin to see how it works, looks nice and easy to use.

Testing 64bit normal user and admin mode: I did notice that it seems to generate ERRORS for empty folders? I ran a small test on a GIT repo and there are some empty sub-folders in there and after the backup was complete it mentioned three errors, inspecting those source folders showed they were empty. It is not actually an error I think, there are simply no files to copy. In such a case it probably shouldn't generate an error?

The info, pack, tags folders are empty, from the log:
Directory created d:\scripts-backup\backup\.git\objects\info
[error] Could not copy directory d:\scripts\test\.git\objects\info (>> Error code #3: The system cannot find the path specified)
Directory created d:\scripts-backup\backup\.git\objects\pack
[error] Could not copy directory d:\scripts\test\.git\objects\pack (>> Error code #3: The system cannot find the path specified)
Directory created d:\scripts-backup\backup\.git\refs\tags
[error] Could not copy directory d:\scripts\test\.git\refs\tags (>> Error code #3: The system cannot find the path specified)
A .git folder is hidden, I noticed that in the backup .git doesn't have the hidden attribute (I only tried "simple copy")

Perhaps some suggestions for the log file:
  • Add a filter options so you can just press a button or menu option to "show errors only"
  • Allow the user to copy (selected) lines to the clipboard (right click, copy to clipboard - or ctrl+c) - allowing the user to select one or more lines from the log would in such a case be useful to add.