jaBuT - a flexible back-up and sync program

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
jabuTBackup

Re: jaBuT - a flexible back-up and sync program

#136 Post by jabuTBackup »

I've applied some changes today. Maybe the problem has been solved now.
The next update will come this week.

jabuTBackup

#137 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hi juglens,
I've just double and triple checked the server files. For me everything seems to be fine.

The issue you see means that the executable file was (like said in the message) modified. When downloading a file normally it doesn't get modified.
Which browser do you use?
Do you see the same problem too with the version which is now available?

Are there more people seeing this problem? If so, please tell me.

juglens

#138 Post by juglens »

Hi Michael

I tested it on virtual machines (virtualbox, qemu) with different windows's and linux installed (Windows 10, XP, Linux Mint wine).
It only worked under wine.

kanu

#139 Post by kanu »

13.0.62 x86 portable on Windows 10 64-bit: no errors, hash ok, runs ok.

jabuTBackup

#140 Post by jabuTBackup »

Thank you kanu for your feedback.

I just tested the executable you've send me and it works on my machine.
I tested it on virtual machines (virtualbox, qemu) with different windows's and linux installed (Windows 10, XP, Linux Mint wine). It only worked under wine.
Do you use Linux as a operating system?
If so: you use Linux, you install a VM with Windows to run jaBuT inside and then the error occurs, correct? (Linux Host > Windows-VM with jaBuT).

This week I will implement some changes into a test build which I will send you over. I hope with the changes I have currently in my head the problem can be solved.
I will send you a PM for this.

juglens

#141 Post by juglens »

Do you use Linux as a operating system?
If so: you use Linux, you install a VM with Windows to run jaBuT inside and then the error occurs, correct? (Linux Host > Windows-VM with jaBuT).
No, I use Windows as host.

jabuTBackup

#142 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hi juglens,

could you maybe try the x86 version? Maybe it won't bug. This doesn't mean you need to use the x86 version all the time. If the x86 version doesn't bug this would just help me finding out where the problem is in the x64 version.

siegfried

#143 Post by siegfried »

Hi Mr Linden.

I'm testing your great program.

1- Only one problem (tested with both standard and admin rights, 64bit version in portable mode), here the log:

-------------------------------------------------------------------
12/05/2017 13:09:41   |   Start: Test01
12/05/2017 13:09:45   |   [Information] Thread 1 started, processing 9 file(s) and directory(ies)
12/05/2017 13:09:45   |   [Information] Creating archive: C:\Users\<AdminUser>\AppData\Local\Temp\Testing.7z
12/05/2017 13:09:45   |   [Error] Could not create archive: C:\Users\<AdminUser>AppData\Local\Temp\Testing.7z (Error code #2: The system cannot find the file specified.)
12/05/2017 13:09:45   |   » Summary: Processed data: 0, Errors: 1
12/05/2017 13:09:45   |   End: Test01
12/05/2017 13:10:40   |   Start: Test01
12/05/2017 13:10:44   |   [Information] Thread 1 started, processing 9 file(s) and directory(ies)
12/05/2017 13:10:44   |   [Information] Creating archive: C:\Users\<StandardUser>\AppData\Local\Temp\Testing.7z
12/05/2017 13:10:44   |   [Error] Could not create archive: C:\Users\<StandardUser>\AppData\Local\Temp\Testing.7z (Error code #2: The system cannot find the file specified.)
12/05/2017 13:10:45   |   [Information] Remember: you can use jaBuT Backup with administrator rights
12/05/2017 13:10:45   |   » Summary: Processed data: 0, Errors: 1
12/05/2017 13:10:45   |   End: Test01

Settings:
- Custom Setup
- Source Directory (external usb hd drive): Y:\Testing\
- Process also files in subdirectory
- Destination directory (external sd flash drive): E:\backup\
- Process all data from source directory
- Timestamp comparison
- Processing interval: Manually
- Mode: Exact compress
- Other options --> Show advanced archive options: 7z
- Profile name: Test01

2- File types that are already compressed (zip, zipx, rar, bz2, cab, gz, gze, lha, lzh, docx, odg, odp, ods, odt, pdf, ott, pptx, xlsx, avi, mkv, mpg, mpg, mp4, gif, png, jpeg, ogg, aac, flac, mp3, wma, etc...) should not be compressed again but instead just copied.

It would be VERY useful (and way faster compressed backup archives creation) don't compress these files (but still add them to compressed backup archive).

It would be possible to add this very useful option to 7zip Exact Compress?

Some related discussions:

Smart Compression - Don't try to compress files that are known to be badly compressible (7zip forum)

PowerShell script example: CompressDirButUseStoreBasedOnExtension

Many Thanks!

jabuTBackup

#144 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hi Siegfried,

I've tried to reproduce your issue with exactly the same setup (external HDD, Flash drive) I couldn't get the issue working. Maybe I fixed it by accident when implementing your #2.
#2 has been implemented and will be available in the new update soon.
jB-ArchiveOptions.jpg
Edit
I'm glad to tell you that juglens problem has been solved. Nice feedback and nice messaging.
Everyone having a Windows in of the following languages should not have problems anymore now:
Polish, Czech, Slovak, Hungarian, Slovene, Bosnian, Croatian, Serbian, Romanian and Albanian.

Edit 2
@Siegfried
the bug you reported has been fixed. The fixed version will be available this week end.

siegfried

#145 Post by siegfried »

About "Ignore archive files and do not compress them again" option: Is it for archive files only (many other file types are not compressible or are badly compressible)?

Wouldn't it be better to put a checkbox or text box so that compression can be disabled/enabled (from user) without much hassle for chosen extensions, and where new uncompressible extensions can be added?
jabut-backup wrote:Edit 2
@Siegfried
the bug you reported has been fixed. The fixed version will be available this week end.
Great! Many thanks!!

jabuTBackup

#146 Post by jabuTBackup »

Wouldn't it be better to put a checkbox or text box so that compression can be disabled/enabled (from user) without much hassle for chosen extensions, and where new uncompressible extensions can be added?
Sure. Sounds quite better and more transparent for the user. I will work out my idea about that tomorrow and post a screenshot.

siegfried

#147 Post by siegfried »

Sorry, I forgot :oops:

I was thinking that perhaps it would be useful to put some other useful 7zip settings (or may be inserted freely by the user) like "NON-Solid archive" (It's for help in error recovery: if any file in a solid archive is damaged, it will be impossible to extract all files which follow the damaged area), number of cpu threads (7zip is great in multithreading and more cpu cores at lower prices are coming, see amd ryzen), etc..

Take your time, no need to hurry, not urgent at all.

Many thanks.

jabuTBackup

#148 Post by jabuTBackup »

Hi siegfried,
the number of used cpu cores can't be set by myself when compressing. The library I am using decides itself which cores it is using.
E.g. when setting up 8 threads the library would probably use all cores on a quad core CPU.

Non-solid archives are great. I will have a look into it if my library supports it.

jabuTBackup

#149 Post by jabuTBackup »

Update time!

Update time! Version 13 update 63 has been released.

Changelog:
  1. Added ability to open the details dialogue initially expanded. See Options » File processing (thanks to ozzyguy)
  2. Added ability to compress or not compress archive files in source directory when using compress mode (see notes below) (thanks to siegfried)
  3. The current typed in search text will now be applied on program start up
  4. Standardised message dialogues
  5. "Show source/destination dir" now gets disabled when corresponding directory doesn't exist (thanks to ozzyguy)
  6. Possibly fixed an issue which caused not adding files and directories for including/excluding (thanks to Zimmy)
  7. Fixed an issue when verifiying the file integrity on program start up (thanks to juglens)
  8. Fixed a problem which caused not including or excluding user defined files/directories
  9. Fixed a problem which displayed the profile progress even in silent mode
  10. Fixed a minor indication error in log files
  11. Fixed preview dialogue displaying "data to delete" following by a negative number
Do not compress archived files
There is a new option available under Profile options » Other options » Show advanced archive options » File options. This new feature gives the user the ability to decide wether to compress already compressed files or not. Extensions can be added to the list. Files with these extensions will just be stored and not compressed again. Example extension to add: zip

The new update can be downloaded, as usual, from the website or through the updater.

Download : http://jabut.de/en/download#download
Changelog: http://jabut.de/en/changelog#v1363

If you find a bug do not hesitate to contact me :)
Last edited by jabuTBackup on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zimmy

#150 Post by Zimmy »

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the update. The bug with adding filters via the keyboard has indeed been fixed.