PNGoo: lossy PNG image compression front-end w/ alpha

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Specular

PNGoo: lossy PNG image compression front-end w/ alpha

#1 Post by Specular »

Found this nice PNG image compression front-end tool for pngquant on PNGquant.org. Essentially it produces high quality 256 color lossy PNG-8 images with alpha transparency, similar to what Fireworks used to (for anyone who remembers it).

Image Image

Left: original image at 75kb. Right: PNG compressed with pngquant at 19kb.
The conversion reduces file sizes significantly (often as much as 70%) and preserves full alpha transparency. Generated images are compatible with all modern web browsers, and have better fallback in IE6 than 24-bit PNGs.
Features

- High-quality palette generation using a combination of vector quantization algorithms.
- Unique adaptive dithering algorithm that adds less noise to images than the standard Floyd-Steinberg.
- Easy to integrate with shell scripts, GUIs and server-side software.
- Fast mode for processing large numbers of images.
Download link from the front page. Appears to be portable, doesn't write settings anywhere and can't find any dependencies it requires. 64-bit only, couldn't find a 32-bit version available (if there is one let me know).

billon

Re: PNGoo: lossy PNG image compression front-end w/ alpha

#2 Post by billon »

Specular wrote:64-bit only, couldn't find a 32-bit version available
What you mean? It's 32-bit, works fine here (XP)
Requires dotnet (don't sure what minimal version)
Try connect to web when click "Colour Settings..." (may be check for updates?)
Portable/Stealth

Specular

#3 Post by Specular »

billon wrote:What you mean? It's 32-bit, works fine here (XP)
Requires dotnet (don't sure what minimal version)
Try connect to web when click "Colour Settings..." (may be check for updates?)
Portable/Stealth
Huh, thought it was x64 only. Good to know, and thanks for the extra details :)

Midas

#4 Post by Midas »

PNGoo framework requirement is v2.0 (see screencap below). In my experience, DotNET apps mostly adopt the bitness of the underlying DotNET framework... (as the second screencap, taken in 64 bits Windows 7, demonstrates; I've met a few exceptions, though).

Last edited by Midas on Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

SYSTEM

#5 Post by SYSTEM »

Midas wrote:In my experience, DotNET apps mostly adopt the bitness of the underlying DotNET framework... (I've met a few exceptions, though).
By default, CLI code runs in a process which matches the bitness of underlying Windows. However, the programmer can optionally configure the process to always be 32-bit or 64-bit.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Specular

#6 Post by Specular »

Midas wrote:PNGoo framework requirement is v2.0 (see screencap below). In my experience, DotNET apps mostly adopt the bitness of the underlying DotNET framework... (as the second screencap, taken in 64 bits Windows 7, demonstrates; I've met a few exceptions, though).
Wasn't aware Process Explorer detected that, added it to my list of portable testing tools :)

xor

#7 Post by xor »

after brief testing I can tell right away that:
AdvPNG is for fast PNG optimizing (opaque PNGs)
OptiPNG is for better PNG optimizing (opaque PNGs)
PNGquanti is a must for transparent (alpha) PNG optimizing
PNGquanti gets the best results with both full and gradient transparency and also gets the best colors in the output even with 128 colors.

PNGoo is a simplistic awesome frontend for PNGquanti but...
I guess nothing beats the convenience and productivity of doing it all via DropIt :)

billon

#8 Post by billon »

You forgot about pngout and pngwolf

xor

#9 Post by xor »

billon wrote:You forgot about pngout and pngwolf
Right!, but I'm not that fond of PNGout as I feel it sort of a "brute force" optimizer, I have no doubt it gets lower sizes but at a sluggish price, I will definitely try PNGwolf and PNGcrush to compare amongst all of them.

smaragdus

Re: Pngyu

#10 Post by smaragdus »

It is interesting that Pngyu achieves better results using an old (unknown) version of pngquant:

Input PNG file- 2718 KB
Output PNG file- Pngyu 1.0.1 with old (unknown) version of pngquant - 771 KB
Output PNG file- Pngyu 1.0.1 with pngquant version 2.7.2- 828 KB

Pngyu screen-shots:

main window:

preview window:

preferences window:

xor

#11 Post by xor »

smaragdus wrote:It is interesting that Pngyu achieves better results using an old (unknown) version of pngquant
Well, I tried version 2.7.2 plus two old versions and got the exactly same results, thus, I would love to know where did you get that "oldie but goodie" version :)
I also noticed that using pngquant and advpng afterwards I could get the same quality/size of that of kraken.io .... interesting! I'm yet to figure out how to get kraken's JPG quality/size since it's quite awesome too.

smaragdus

#12 Post by smaragdus »

@xor
In fact the "old unknown version of pngquant" I was referring to turned out to be 1.8.4 (I checked pngquant releases page). Pngyu version 1.0.1 comes pre-packaged with pngquant version 1.8.4.

xor

#13 Post by xor »

@smaragdus
I got a smaller filesize with version 1.8.3 (from 2012) although a bit slower. I recommend the 256 colors default option to avoid non-aesthetic visual quality. Regardless, still testing, if I come up with anything worth sharing, I will.

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

A lot of tools have been mentioned in this thread, but the title program (PngQuant) is a CLI compressor that appears to still be in development with a release back in May: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/korne ... /CHANGELOG - free for non-commercial use.

Mirror: https://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedi ... uant.shtml

Nikki

#15 Post by Nikki »

Hi! I have a fork of PNGoo that I made about 9 years ago. I received a message from the original creator saying that I could take over development of this project if I wanted, but I haven't really touched it aside from adding a few initial features.

I'll take a look through what's been posted in this thread. If PNGoo is still one of the most recent UIs for this tool, I'll see if I can get some updated versions of PngQuant and some updated builds up (my fork is here: https://github.com/NikkiDelRosso/PNGoo).

If there's a better UI tool out there that does what PNGoo does better, I'll probably just update the documentation to link to that instead.