PhotoDemon - photo editor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
wjh3D

Re: PhotoDemon

#46 Post by wjh3D »

Hi everyone,

I've been searching around for a Phototoshop alternative for a while now and stumbled on PhotoDemon. I've tried it for a little while and have really enjoyed working with it and wanted to give some feedback since in post 38 it said "Workflow details like these can be trivial for developers to add, but we need users to tell us about their workflows in the first place!".

I'm primarily a 3D artist and want to use a 2D image editing program (like PhotoDemon) to work with channels. so for example, if I have three greyscale images, I would like to put one of them into the red channel, another into the green channel, and the third into a blue channel. Or another option would be to take an already channel packed image and split them into separate image files.

So ideally, this is what I would like to be able to do in PhotoDemon

Use case 1.
I start with an image in my file explorer that consists of three greyscale textures that are already packed into the three R,G,B channels and import that into PhotoDemon
In photodemon I would be able to separate the red, green, and blue channels into their own separate layers

Use case 2.
I start with 3 greyscale images and import each of those into photodemon
In PhotoDemon I drag one of the greyscale images into the red channel, another into the green channel, and the last greyscale image into the blue channel
I can now save out the image as one file that has each greyscale image packed into the channels

Thanks so much and hope that makes sense. I've attached an image in case that helps clarify.
PhotoDemon_featureRequest_channels.png

webfork

Re: PhotoDemon

#47 Post by webfork »

It might be out of scope for what the developer currently has in mind for the program, but there have been an increasing number of batch functions getting added to a wizard-like photo manager. It might be possible. Although the developer does drop by from time to time, this might be something you want to post to the PhotoDemon Github page about (https://github.com/tannerhelland/PhotoDemon) as a feature request.

Midas

Re: PhotoDemon - photo editor

#48 Post by Midas »

Topic update: PhotoDemon v9.0 released ({comprehensive!} release announcement at https://photodemon.org/2022/09/08/photodemon-9-0.html).

Special

#49 Post by Special »

That content-aware fill is black magic WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!

I'm still on 8.4, I love this program for mass resizing & converting PNGs to JPGs while optimizing them for such things like music covers, etc. all done via batch, which is a HUGE time saver for me, but man it's been over 2 years since 8.4 was released, probably closer to 3 years now. I'm worried my settings won't get carried over and I'll have to relearn everything & setup all my interface/settings all over again, ugh. It might be best to just start from scratch again... but I really don't want too. :/

Anyone have experience upgrading from 8.4 to 9.0?

Also I really hope PhotoDemon does more frequent releases then once every 2-3 years! moving forward, it would not only be good for us users (to get new features and bug fixes), but also to just get that name PhotoDemon "out there" on the web, like on software sites that report software updates, ie. MajorGeeks, Neowin, and that one portable site (forget the name...), etc. to get a larger userbase. IIRC, I found out about PhotoDemon through Neowin or maybe it was a Ghacks when 8.4 released, but either way those sites aren't going to report old as dust programs to the masses, a 2-4 month release cycle I think would be best here, similar to Paint.net.

Just don't go the Nirsoft route lol.

lintalist

#50 Post by lintalist »

@special you can run multiple versions of course, and you can sign up to the beta/nightly releases so it updates very often (it has with v9 anyway)

lintalist

#51 Post by lintalist »

PhotoDemon nightly can now import PDFs (each page as a layer, either a specific page, a page range, or all pages):

Discussion https://github.com/tannerhelland/PhotoD ... nt-8681621
Nightly download link https://github.com/tannerhelland/PhotoD ... ightly.zip