OooPlayer - minimalist audio player

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Midas

Re: OooPlayer

#16 Post by Midas »

Thanks for sharing OooPlayer with the Internet at large, ozok. It is evolving nicely and I'm sure will get to be a prime choice soon... ;)

I have a few suggestions you might want to consider, mainly related to interface functions and webradio:

- contrary to the Music tab, there's no context menu in the Radio tab, it would be nice to have standard functions (like delete, cut, copy and paste) or at least a properties view (station name and URLs?);

- another nice function that could be added to a Radio list context menu would be an option to add the currently selected Radio either to a Favorites file or to a custom/arbitrary list (I noticed they're just human readable colon separated text files with an entry per line in the Radios sub-folder);

- search playlist doesn't work in the Radios tab, so to the best of my knowledge there's no way to search the radios lists besides scrolling up and down, which can get tedious really quick (when the Radio tab is displayed, search should apply to it, IMHO);

- my taste would dictate for a slimmer toolbar, with existing buttons keeping their current size -- except for volume level, which would have to be adjusted to fit toolbar height, and cover art, which would need to get a different placement (probably a resizable floating/dockable window) -- which in turn would open the possibility of switching to a reduced "player view", with toolbar and current file info only.

Lastly, only four of the existing 30 channels of a favorite radio-station of mine, so check your PM for another ripped 3 year old listing that contains most of them, amidst more than 19 000 other entries (unicode text, with linux line endings).

I hope you find this input useful. :)

ozok

#17 Post by ozok »

Thanks Midas, both for radio stations and suggestions. I'll try to see if I can extract radio stations from it.

I plan to add more functionality to radio tab/list as you said. There'll be a favourites category. I'll also add a different category where users can add their own radio stations. Searching radio stations is also coming :wink:

I don't wish to change current interface layout but I can add it as a different layout (normal vs slim). I can also add a minimal player like Aimp has. But these are low priority changes for me. I want to implement gapless playback and replaygain support first. Though I don't have any idea either can be done :mrgreen:

Regards.

Midas

#18 Post by Midas »

ozok wrote:I want to implement gapless playback and replaygain support first.
  • You got my full support on that. :P

Thanks for listening.

ozok

#19 Post by ozok »

Released 1.4. Main change is the support for gapless playback. I'd like to thank http://www.un4seen.com/ forum mods for their help with the issues I encountered while implementing gapless playback.

Code: Select all

-Added: Gapless playback
-Added: Lyric downloader
-Added: Search function for radio station list
-Added: Radio station info window (thx to Midas)
-Improved: Lowered CPU usage significantly in some cases
-Removed: Visualization

Checker

#20 Post by Checker »

@ ozok: Thanks ... and updated :wink:

ozok

#21 Post by ozok »

I've just released 1.5.1 which fixes a severe bug related to radio searching. I think it was Midas who reported the problem.
Change log of last two versions since I failed to post 1.5 change log:
  1. Fixed: Double clicking a radio search result caused "Argument out of reach" error
  2. Fixed: Selecting a radio search result didn't scroll to that station in radio list
  • Added: Queue in music playlist
  • Added: Radio favourites
  • Added: Add/remove radio stations
  • Added: Song number to playlist
  • Fixed: Player getting stuck when it reaches the end of the playlist
  • Fixed: Couldn't download lyric if title or artist contained "."
  • Fixed: Possible fix for access vialotion errors when closing the program
  • Fixed: Playlist color problem under dark classic Windows themes
Edit: I've edited the entry myself. I hope that's okay.

Midas

#22 Post by Midas »

Yep, guilty as charged. That was a fast fix, BTW. :mrgreen:

On another issue, there are still only 4 channels listed of all the 30 in the Soma FM network (http://somafm.com/)...

ozok

#23 Post by ozok »

Yes, I was unable to find a way to extract radio stations in batch. I'll give it a higher priority.

ozok

#24 Post by ozok »

Released 1.6.0 with many additions. I've added two more lyric sources. If you know of other good lyric sources I can add them too.
1.6.0 changes:
  • Added: Radio recording to mp3, ogg vorbis, aac
  • Added: New lyric sources batlyrics.net and metrolyrics.com
  • Added: Option to select between lyric sources
  • Added: Lyric downloader now works for radio player too
  • Added: An option to specify playback buffer in ms
  • Added: Play count information is now stored in playlist and shown in the interface
  • Added: An option to enable/disable lyric download failure logging
  • Fixed: A playlist bug where there'd be an unnecessary horizontal scrollbar
Not listed in the change log but I've also fixed several small bugs, like jpeg 53 errors sometimes occurred.

Checker

#25 Post by Checker »

Midas

#26 Post by Midas »

Briefly testing v1.6.0, so here's some comments:

- What does the log window log? It remains empty while I'm playing radios.

- In the search results window, a check box to close it once an option is selected by double clicking would be handy.

- Other radio players (Screamer, Radiosure) offer the possibility of recording a song from the beginning, even if you only press the record button midway through -- this is done by buffering playback, I think -- does OooPlayer work like that?

- The recording options should include one for recording the unmodified stream (in fact, that should be the default, as you'd want to avoid incurring in the creation of further audio generations).

- A tag song only option would also be handy (no recording, but save song details to favorites, e.g.).

- Concurrent lyrics search should be an option (priceless for those who stray from Top of the Pops).

- Some radios provide multiple sources and formats, should each one of them go into a separate radio entry?

- Have you considered last.fm/libre.fm scrobbling integration?

I was going to suggest an option for open recording folder, but then I noticed it's already there -- kudos for that... :mrgreen:

ozok

#27 Post by ozok »

@Midas
What does the log window log? It remains empty while I'm playing radios.
It's a good thing it says empty because it only logs errors ;).
In the search results window, a check box to close it once an option is selected by double clicking would be handy.
Great idea. Consider it done in the next release.
Other radio players (Screamer, Radiosure) offer the possibility of recording a song from the beginning, even if you only press the record button midway through -- this is done by buffering playback, I think -- does OooPlayer work like that?
Hmm, I don't know what playback library does with the buffered data but I'll investigate this.
The recording options should include one for recording the unmodified stream (in fact, that should be the default, as you'd want to avoid incurring in the creation of further audio generations).
I'll add this too.
Concurrent lyrics search should be an option (priceless for those who stray from Top of the Pops)
This might be possible of course. I can create a list to define source priority I guess (move sources up/down etc).
Some radios provide multiple sources and formats, should each one of them go into a separate radio entry?
To be honest, all the radio entries in OooPlayer are created by a program I've written to extract them from other radio software so I think how they are stored in Ooo is identical to how other software do. The radio station list you sent me had several stream links in some cases but I only extracted the first because Ooo stores one stream link per radio entry.
Have you considered last.fm/libre.fm scrobbling integration?
Yep, I even got a key/id from last.fm but haven't had a chance to implement it. I'm shamed to say that I don't understand that whole authentication thing (look at my other software TFlickrDownloader and InstagramSaver :oops: ).

All great suggestions, thanks.

ozok

#28 Post by ozok »

I released 1.8 and updated entry. Changes:

-Added: Support for external png, bmp and gif cover art files
-Improved: Jpeg and png cover art display performance
-Improved: Jpeg and png cover arts are now resized smoother
-Fixed: Clearing the playlist didn't clear queue list
-Fixed: Couldn't read artwork in some cases and showed cover art from previous file
-Updated: Basswma to 2.4.5

ozok

#29 Post by ozok »

I released 1.9. Changes:

-Added: Program now accepts file paths as parameters, adds them to playlist and starts playback
-Added: Many Interface changes (thx to Alptekin)
-Added: Taskbar overlay icon and thumbbuttons for Windows 7 and later (thx to Alptekin)
-Improved: CPU usage is even lower now in most cases
-Improved: Cover art loading performance
-Fixed: Cover art loading could interfere with gapless playback in some PCs
-Fixed: "No mapping for the Unicode char..." errors while downloading lyrics
-Fixed: Queue list had no right click menu
-Fixed: Position text and lyric box weren't reseted after stoping in some cases
-Fixed: Couldn't load ppf playlist files (thx to Alptekin)
-Fixed: Couldn't resume with play button (thx to Alptekin)
-Updated: ID3v1 and ID3v2 libraries
-Updated: MediaInfo to 0.7.71

Checker

#30 Post by Checker »