Portable Update - Windows update downloader

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Re: Portable Update

#16 Post by webfork »

webfork wrote:So far haven't been able to test this program successfully.
So far I've tested this program 3 times without success, now twice on Win7x86. Has anyone used this effectively?

Steps:

1. Download program and launch
2. Download required tools including Offline Scan Cab file and Windows Update Agent
3. Go to the Search tab and click Start

Just sits in search mode forever:

The program won't even close on my system without going through Task Manager and doing an End Task.
Last edited by webfork on Mon Apr 04, 2016 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (added steps, screenshot)

Midas

Re: Portable Update - Windows update downloader

#17 Post by Midas »

My guess is that might be the result of blocked internet access, as PortUp immediately goes online after starting. :?

I tested a freshly downloaded copy on my live system (Windows 7 x64 SP1) and -- apart from a somewhat cryptic operation mode without any user settings(?), no online help, and not even a context menu -- everything seemed to work alright: I got no error following your procedure and it finished promptly.

EDIT: settings can be changed in the "Settings" tab by double clicking one of the rows...

As a better alternative, I'd recommend WSUS Offline Update: http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... hp?t=16624 ...