Contacam

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Carl

Contacam

#1 Post by Carl »

I'd like to submit Contacam to the database. http://www.contaware.com/content/view/44/46/
Move the inside of the installation folder to another location and it will create an ini files.
It's a great software and the author offers great support.
It's the best I have found for webcam surveillance and recording.

Midas

Re: Contacam

#2 Post by Midas »

Interesting submission. Contacam is OSS aimed at both casual and professional users and provides, among other functionalities, support for unlimited cameras, motion detection, a mini webserver (micro-Apache), FTP, email and Dropbox updating, as well as all the image editing functions of FreeVimager (already in the database at http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=2248), being that both apps are from the same developer.
  • [url]http://www.contaware.com/content/view/44/46/[/url] author wrote:This free video surveillance and live webcam software for Windows is extremely easy on system resources, and does not contain unnecessary bloat. It is fast, light, and versatile enough to meet all your security needs while still being very user friendly and able to run on even the most moderate systems.
Latest version (v4.7.0) installer can be (Uni)Extracted -- download from page above, keep everything but '$PLUGINSDIR'. Portability assumed, but untested yet... :!:
Last edited by Midas on Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

allclownsareevil

#3 Post by allclownsareevil »

This is a fantastic piece of software. Feature rich, low impact on system resources and well thought through. If I had a regular use for it I'd be more than happy donating a reasonable sum of money to the author. It's better than a lot of commercial products doing the same task.

Thanks for post.

I am Baas

#4 Post by I am Baas »

Midas wrote:Portability assumed
Not stealth

Log files in \AppData\Roaming\Contaware\ContaCam
FullscreenBrowser.ini in \AppData\Roaming\Contaware\FullscreenBrowser
index.php in \drive\C\ContaCam

Carl

#5 Post by Carl »

If you move the camera folder for recording it will move those files elsewhere. Capture/Device Assistant/Move Camera Folder.

I am Baas

#6 Post by I am Baas »

Carl wrote:If you move the camera folder for recording it will move those files elsewhere. Capture/Device Assistant/Move Camera Folder.
You mean "Tools" ---> "Move Camera Folders"

Still not stealth ---> \AppData\Roaming\Contaware\ContaCam

Carl

#7 Post by Carl »

It's too bad.I guess it's worth a shot to ask the developer to modify it.

allclownsareevil

#8 Post by allclownsareevil »

I've been testing this for a week or so continuous use, using an old webcam and my server. The program works really well and has a load of features. As a package I'm really impressed with it.

The only problem I encountered is that occasionally the program would forget it's settings, even though they're stored in an ini file. The ini file would reset itself to default settings. Overcame this by setting up the program how I wanted it then set the ini file to "read only" .... but still it's an odd issue. Other than that, nice program.

Midas

#9 Post by Midas »

Contacam v4.9.7 released (changelog: http://www.contaware.com/downloads/HistoryContaCam.txt)

In relation to the issues reported above, entries found in the previous version (v4.9.0) changelog (untested!):
  • [*]Possibility to store temp files under the cameras root folder
    [*]First version especially optimized for Windows XP and higher