AutoText - Typing aid and clipboard extension

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
vmars316

Re: AutoText.exe what key or hotKey do I press ?

#16 Post by vmars316 »

Thanks ,
This worked only once vm~vmars316 with Mode B .
Then I tried same with Mode C vm~vmars316 .
But nogo .
Then tired Mode B again .
But nogo .
Btw: Restart doesnt work , it only exits the pgm .

Is there a way to not use Start-Chr ?
So far , If no Start-Chr is used , it always defaults to "." .
I would rarely use a "." in front of vm .

Thanks

vmars316

#17 Post by vmars316 »

Hmm... interesting .
Pgm will allow me to use a " " (blank) as a Start-chr .
I think I can live with that .
Though I would prefer no Start-chr .

Thanks for your Excellent Help !

TP109

#18 Post by TP109 »

vmars316 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:03 am Is there a way to not use Start-Chr ?
So far , If no Start-Chr is used , it always defaults to "." .
I would rarely use a "." in front of vm .
Mode A doesn't use a start character, only the search characters. For instance, type "vm" as the search text and the select window should popup (# of characters set at 2 in settings). For mode C, the select window should appear immediately after typing only the start character. Mode B requires the start character and the searchable characters.
vmars316 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:03 am This worked only once vm~vmars316 with Mode B .
Then I tried same with Mode C vm~vmars316 .
But nogo .
Then tired Mode B again .
But nogo .
The program is buggy on my XP system as well. If I set a start character, it may take it and it may not - and may default to a period the next time I start it. Sometimes it even throws an exception after changing the start character. And sometimes it doesn't detect the keystrokes for the search characters.
vmars316 wrote: Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:03 am Btw: Restart doesnt work , it only exits the pgm .
I don't have that problem with reload. These issues could be system related and that is why there are differences between XP and Windows 10. I'm not sure what the OS requirements are for the program. I didn't see anything on the website or in a help file. Perhaps you could test the program on another OS to see if the same problems persist?

Again, you may want to consider TyperTask as an alternative. However, AutoText is useful because it displays the choices before actually inserting the replacement text. That can be handy at times, to review and ensure what will be inserted, especially when using multiple formats - like dates. In fact, AutoText is my program of choice for date insertions using multiple formats.