Van Loo Software: SSuite, Fandango, OmegaOffice, Ex-Lex, Scaramouche, Accel, etc.

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
crownixx

Re: SSuite Office Portable v1.0

#16 Post by crownixx »

I would say to vote NO for this app.

From my testing the portable launcher, StartUpMenu.exe was not design correctly to make the SSuite Office running portably. In a simple sentence, it only do a quick install, then run app, then quick uninstall but not clean (lot of registry keys left at HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT)

GeddichNixan

#17 Post by GeddichNixan »

As a matter of fact I am not that fastidious about how an app handels the problem of portability. If it does a quick install and then a quick uninstall and some cleaning, well why not. Or better: if the app is worth it, then I will accept this kind of deficits. But this particular app did not even do its "quick-install-quick-uninstall-job" correctly instead it asked me to modifiy my system in order to match its requirements and that is definitely way beyond what I consider as acceptable.

BTW, this is my posting no.100.

A small step for mankind but a giant leap for one man. :D

crownixx

#18 Post by crownixx »

GeddichNixan wrote:But this particular app did not even do its "quick-install-quick-uninstall-job" correctly instead it asked me to modifiy my system in order to match its requirements and that is definitely way beyond what I consider as acceptable.
"Quick Install" is just my word that i use. What i mean a "quick install" here is everything is similar to normal install except the files are already unpacked. So, it does modify your system. You will have less chance to run it properly (without error) especially in limited privilege

I read some of people here does not like NSIS launchers created by Portableapps.com people but their launchers are actually do better than StartUpMenu.exe.
StartUpMenu.exe for SSuite Office:
  • does not backup local settings before it "install" portable version
  • does not save portable version settings
  • during "quick-uninstall", it will remove the settings & files. In some case where people have a local installed SSuite Offfice, portable version will do damage to local version
Like i said, it is a very bad design launcher. Please do not put it in the database until the launcher is re-designed.

ps: congratz for your 100post GeddichNixan

webfork

#19 Post by webfork »

I've read about this for quite a while so decided to test it out. Spreadsheet program was nice, but Ez photo editor didn't work.

Writes settings to:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache]
"C:\WINDOWS\system32\regsvr32.exe"="Microsoft(C) Register Server"
Creates a very long list of entries (that gets longer every time you start a program) to:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface
Result: Not portable.

Wolfghost

Van Loo Portable Software

#20 Post by Wolfghost »

Check this out

http://www.ssuitesoft.com/freedownloads.htm

Scroll down to Portable Apps
Author Van Loo Software wrote: Our free software does not run on Java or DotNet like other open source applications e.g. OpenOffice, LibreOffice, and many others available on the internet. This makes all our applications much smaller in size... not to mention more efficient to use on your system. Java has also lately become a great source of concern after several security breaches it caused on many computer systems worldwide.

That is why our office software is written in native Windows code, which is the same code as Windows itself. By using the WIN32 API or Application Programming Interface, it does not need to be interpreted by another operating system like Java or DotNet to run. Therefore... you get complete security, stability, and faster operation when running our free office software on your Windows system.
Home http://www.ssuitesoft.com/

Wolfghost

Re: Van Loo Portable Software

#22 Post by Wolfghost »

Oops I search database Van Loo Software and got nothing :wink:

webfork

Re: Van Loo Portable Software

#23 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:Please merge. Thank you.
Threads combined.

TP109

Re: Van Loo Software: SSuite, OmegaOffice, Ex-Lex, etc.

#24 Post by TP109 »

SSuite may not be portable but it's certainly smaller than comparable programs. Testing this out now. Seems very capable so far.

BeBob Esq

SSuite QT Writer Express

#25 Post by BeBob Esq »

[Moderator note: this was posted separately but has been merged with other ssuite offers for simplicity.]

---

I found this great little word editor, does it all and more, even has mail merge and a custom spell checker included.

http://www.ssuitesoft.com/qtwriterexpress.htm

Has some very nice comments and responses all over the internet too!

It is only a 5MB download, very nice and small, doesn't even have main menu structure.

BeBob Esq

Re: Van Loo Software: SSuite, OmegaOffice, Ex-Lex, etc.

#26 Post by BeBob Esq »

TP109 wrote:SSuite may not be portable but it's certainly smaller than comparable programs. Testing this out now. Seems very capable so far.
I second that! Their software is very small yet very capable. :shock:

I tried one of SSuite's portable word editors "QT Writer", very nice interface and it comes without a main menu, nice... :o

Their portable p2p communications software certainly is something I have not seen anywhere else. 8)

webfork

Re: Van Loo Software: SSuite, OmegaOffice, Ex-Lex, Accel etc.

#27 Post by webfork »

Amusingly, the SSuite Office put out an update: http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-S ... able.shtml

The characteristically basic, boilerplate Softpedia reviews were very clearly in use but even their reviewers noted "several errors during our tests". Additionally, the newest version calls itself the "Blade Runner" version, which is probably to get it to show up in search engines more often. It wouldn't be a problem but they're using the (probably) trademarked Blade Runner movie font and style.

Midas

Re: Van Loo Software: SSuite, OmegaOffice, Ex-Lex, Accel etc.

#28 Post by Midas »

Yep. After seeing a flurry of Van Loo's software updates of late, I questioned myself if a post would be warranted. After a quick search through the forums, I decided not to...