FolderAxe [DotNET file sorter: discontinued]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
allclownsareevil

FolderAxe [DotNET file sorter: discontinued]

#1 Post by allclownsareevil »

I'm not going to submit this to the database directly just yet as someone may well point out a reason why it doesn't qualify. I undertook a database and forum search and found no mention of it, nor a utility that performs the same task.
Folder Axe was made with one purpose in mind, and that is to help you split up your folders into multiple smaller ones.
Handy util. Let's say you have a folder with 20,000 files and you want to split it into sub-folders, each with x amount of files. Well that's what FolderAxe is for. Apparently it perform folder splits by other criteria too.
Features:
Split by amount (Specify the number of files each resulting folder is limited to)
Split by size (Specify the size limit of each resulting folder) Sort Mode Explanation
Split by name (Created folders based upon the first x number of characters in file names)
Split by file type (Files split into folders according to their extensions)
Split by file group (Files split into seven different groups) See the File Groups page for more info
Split by date (Files split into folders by date property)
Include files in subfolders (Optionally)
Compress resulting folders into Zip files, even protect them using AES-256 bit encryption
Set the naming scheme for the resulting folders
Remember chosen folder during session
Process folders of any size, fast! (Files can be moved or copied)
Easily undo the last splitting procedure performed if you don't like the changes
Features Manual, Semi-Automatic, and Automatic Modes! Mode Explanation Page
Automatic update checking, so you always have the latest version
Log window so you know exactly what's going on at all times
Website here.

Download the installer and uniextract it. Delete everything other than the "{app}". Run Folderaxe.exe

I know it requires .net 4 framework, which could be one reason for not adding it to the database, but I figured I'd post it here just in case someone found it of use. I've already emailed the author about the possibility of making a portable version. Hopefully they'll consider it.

webfork

Re: FolderAxe 7.0

#2 Post by webfork »

Old thread update: author stopped development due to losing the source code. Whoops.

Screenshot:

smaragdus

#3 Post by smaragdus »

I suspect that the developer might be lying for whatever reason- once he hosted his programs at SourceForge, then he pulled his stuff off SourceForge and shortly after he announced the loss of the source codes caused by
a program (which shall not be named)
. When such disaster happens the normal behaviour is to pronounce the name of the culprit outright at least to warn others, but the developer remains firm that the name of the program will not be mentioned:
This (again, unnamed) terrible sync program then corrupted my working folder...
. For me this is suspicious and fishy.

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

smaragdus wrote:For me this is suspicious and fishy.
Perhaps he got some kind of license / patent threat or similar issue and just wanted to walk away from the whole topic. *shrug*