Gavin's Auto Screen Capture

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Gavin's Auto Screen Capture

#1 Post by webfork »

[Moderator note: The program is named "Auto Screen Capture" but we're naming it for the lead developer to avoid confusion over a same-named program.]

----

Great, simple screen capture program. License: public domain - http://autoscreen.sourceforge.net/

Requires: dotNET 3.5
Status: Not portable. Saves picture to the local folder, but saves settings in Win7x64 to:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\AutoScreenCapture2\AutoScreenCapture2.exe_Url_[some unique ID]\1.0.0.0\user.config
Attempted workarounds: Tried moving the user.config file to the local folder, no luck.

Still, works pretty well in a pinch. Right now because I need it, I'm manually going in to delete all the AppData stuff.

Cons: No quality settings available, just formats (GIF, JPG, PNG, etc.).

Edit: I formerly recommended saving to GIF format and then using PNGOptimizer to compress it. I actually tested this and just going from PNG and then using PNGOptimizer got much better results.

Napiophelios

Re: AutoScreenCapture

#2 Post by Napiophelios »

For apps that leave such a small amount of traces on the host system
JauntePE or yAP are perfect solutions.

Between the two making portables for personal use is just too easy.

webfork

Re: AutoScreenCapture

#3 Post by webfork »

Napiophelios wrote:For apps that leave such a small amount of traces on the host system
JauntePE or yAP are perfect solutions.

Between the two making portables for personal use is just too easy.
Yeah, this has come up before. It's probably time I learned that whole thing. Has anyone put together a dead-simple breakdown or presentation on how that works?

webfork

Re: Gavin's Auto Screen Capture

#4 Post by webfork »

ShareX now has this functionality (and more) so I think my search for an automatic screen capture system is over :)
Attachments
ShareX_-_Auto_capture_2014-05-22_20-27-29.png
ShareX_-_Auto_capture_2014-05-22_20-27-29.png (4.28 KiB) Viewed 18707 times

smaragdus

Re: Auto Screen Capture 2.2.0.10

#5 Post by smaragdus »

As of version 2.2.0.10 Auto Screen Capture seems fully portable at first glance- settings files (XML) are saved inside program folder:

C:\Folder\Auto Screen Capture\!autoscreen\screens.xml

C:\Folder\Auto Screen Capture\!autoscreen\screenshots.xml

C:\Folder\Auto Screen Capture\!autoscreen\triggers.xml

C:\Folder\Auto Screen Capture\!autoscreen\settings\application.xml

C:\Folder\Auto Screen Capture\!autoscreen\settings\user.xml
Screens

Auto Screen Capture version 2.2.0.10 - program window (static image):

Auto Screen Capture version 2.2.0.10 - tray control (static image):

Auto Screen Capture version 2.2.0.10 - about (static image):

The program (as of version 2.2.0.10) uses about 15-25 MB of RAM under Windows 8 x64.

During my brief test Auto Screen Capture worked fine. Once I had problem with previous versions- it crashed on start, but version 2.2.0.10 runs smoothly.

Edit
This thread should be moved to Portable Freeware Submission sub-forum.

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

New version out 2.3.0.0, couldn't seem to find a changelog. Notably, the text logging feature appears to have been removed.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/autoscreen/files/

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

FYI, short URL to GASC mainpage: https://autoscreen.sourceforge.io/.

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

I retested the latest version that came out and the results are encouraging (appears to write to the local folder) but now I'm seeing weird UI issues:

autoscreen

#9 Post by autoscreen »

That’s the DPI scaling issue with WinForms applications so I need to change it to use Windows Presentation Foundation for a future version.

webfork

#10 Post by webfork »

autoscreen wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 8:58 am That’s the DPI scaling issue with WinForms applications so I need to change it to use Windows Presentation Foundation for a future version.
Thanks and welcome to the site.

And good to know -- I was a bit worried it was something to do with my setup.

aazard

#11 Post by aazard »

Very nice! its pretty well made & 869kb (pre-UPX packed too!), debugger shows some easy areas it can be "trimmed/optimized" (many redundant seeming "calls"...but I'm no coder)

this is on my list now: its second only to AviScreen, which is 383kb UPX packed,
* add, its companion app, AviTricks Classic at 997kb, for a total 1380kb, and its super powerful! (Plus; if your only using AVI vids it trumps VituralDub, mod/2 included, for ability/function)
** Additionally add TScreenBroadcast, IF YOU LIVE STREAM, which is 3.44mb UPX packed...and you have the whole "uploader/streamer" kit inside 5mb
*** FotoGrafix (343kb), Avi2Bmp (29kb), Any2ico (& PNG, 188kb), FSS Audio converter (658kb), MP3Directcut (152kb), &, FINALLY, FSS Video converter (884kb) finish up any odds/ends in the image/video/audio area, inside 2254kb,
**** for inside 6mb total, for all mentioned tools
sorry to rant lol :( :mrgreen: