A collection of portable applications

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Ganamyde

A collection of portable applications

#1 Post by Ganamyde »

My first post on here, if I broke any rules please accept my apology and feel free to correct my post or let me know.

All portable and update-able.

Galery screenshot:

Link:
http://heilnizar.deviantart.com/gallery/39141772
Last edited by Ganamyde on Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

webfork

Re: A group of portable applications

#2 Post by webfork »

I have a request that has nothing to do with the site, just my own preference. Please upload your stuff to Softpedia in addition to DeviantArt.

Midas

#3 Post by Midas »

Those updaters looked interesting -- but upon checking two of them didn't work on my rig:
  • - MPC-HC-Updater seemed to make MS Security Essentials take forever to scan it; I added an exception and then it locked dwm.exe; when it was finally able to check the online version and (apparently) download it, it stumbled again with the error: "failed to move file".
    - PDF-Xchange-Updater failed with the same error.
I gave up then... :(

Ganamyde

#4 Post by Ganamyde »

@webfork,
Will look into it.

@Midas,
I'm rewriting the updaters, they will be in one app and will be easily scriptable by the user.

MiDoJo

Re: A collection of portable applications

#5 Post by MiDoJo »

:-/ your ccleaner updater breaks their license :(

...and you publically flaunt that they asked you to cease and you refused
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (11.34 KiB) Viewed 20118 times

Ganamyde

#6 Post by Ganamyde »

The first place I released CCleaner-Updater was on CCleaner's forum, they locked the post because they want people to buy their pro version which they say it auto updates itself, I contacted one of their developers but never heard anything, they never asked me to stop developing it.

And as I mentioned already, applications updaters will be user scriptable in a new application I will release soon.

Midas

#7 Post by Midas »

As one of the poor, even if it didn't work for me, I thank you for your generosity. 8)

MiDoJo

#8 Post by MiDoJo »

Look I too am poor, but the free version software is complete (save updater) and it is the only terms of this freenesss that you visit their website (or the other 2 official download spots) for updates. Pretty good deal if you compare it to competitors who don't care where you get it from but charge 30 or more to have it actually clean

http://www.piriform.com/legal/software-license/ccleaner
You may NOT resell, charge for, sub-license, rent, lease, loan or distribute the Product without our prior written consent. We reserve the right to withdraw any such consent (or part thereof) for any reason and without notice and to demand that you immediately cease any activity in respect of which permission is withdrawn.
There is a reason why TPFC entries for Piriform products are not hot-linked to the zip (like Nirsoft for instance) but, instead, go to the builds download page. They don't need to contact you. . . and honestly I'm preeeeeeeety sure it was me who locked your thread 8) :twisted: and if so I feel I was clear enough without need of developer comment, as their comment is in "Black and White" writing right there in the license.
MiDoJo/Nergal
Piriform Moderator
(also I note that you took them down, thank you, and I will call you on it if the finished product contains this feature for this or any other programs (for instance I'm not sure that Notepad++ allows it because TPFC links to their download page too) for which the license is being circumvented. . . sorry but I believe a developer is entitled to setting their own terms of distribution (as does Andrew) especially if it's the main way they fund their continued FREE program)
EDITED: 04/13 4:32PM

Ganamyde

#9 Post by Ganamyde »

I took the updaters down because I no longer want to support updaters for individual applications.
My soon to be released updater will be universal, easily scripted by the user and command-line support, its then up to the user on what to update ;)

Will link you once its done :)

SYSTEM

#10 Post by SYSTEM »

MiDoJo wrote:(for instance I'm not sure that Notepad++ allows it because TPFC links to their download page too)
Notepad++ is under the GPL and therefore allows redistribution. I believe the reason to direct visitors to the download page is to give them ability to choose between ZIP and 7z files.

Another important reason why some links don't lead directly to the files is this policy (emphasis added):
Do not enter the direct URL to the file if the filename is version dependent, or the author forbids external links. For such cases, enter the URL to the download page instead.
I see some people don't follow that policy, though (as in the Notepad++ case). And that's fine - I appreciate their contributions in any case. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

joby_toss

#11 Post by joby_toss »

If the upcoming application is not following Piriform's licensing (or any other) I ask that you don't post about it here on TPFC. We try to stay as legal as possible. Thank you!

Ganamyde

#12 Post by Ganamyde »

@joby_toss
It will be a user-defined-entries application, no predefined entries whatsoever.

joby_toss

#13 Post by joby_toss »

Now you made me curious. :)

webfork

#14 Post by webfork »

I have come out in the past to help protect Piriform and their license restrictions, but this sounds like a bad call. New releases? Sure. Bug fixes? No thanks. One of the biggest problems in computing is that of outdated software.
joby_toss wrote:If the upcoming application is not following Piriform's licensing (or any other) I ask that you don't post about it here on TPFC. We try to stay as legal as possible. Thank you!
I agree that we probably shouldn't host a Piriform updater program, but I hope it doesn't represent an evaluation of Ganamyde's other software.

Ganamyde

#15 Post by Ganamyde »

Although all my applications have an internal upgrade function (Which I think should be a default when writing an application), I would be happy to see someone taking the time and effort to do that for me. Unless I'm waiting for innocent "Click Next" users to stuff their machines with "usefull" toolbars.