Windowspager - virtual desktops [discontinued]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
pulp

Windowspager - virtual desktops [discontinued]

#1 Post by pulp »

hi,

i want to suggest my program windowspager:

WindowsPager is a desktop-switcher/pager for Windows Vista/XP/2000 to manage 'virtual' workspaces/desktops. It will integrate smoothly into the desktop panel.

http://windowspager.sourceforge.net/

it does not touch the computer at all, no installion, no admin rights

regards pulp

ashghost

#2 Post by ashghost »

Nice little program! AFAIK, no other free and/or portable virtual desktop applications (Dexpot, DM2, Virtuawin) have pagers for the taskbar, which always frustrated me. If anyone knows otherwise, let me know.

There are no settings to store - the only thing you can change is the number of desktops using the command line (default is 4).

So it's not as powerful as the above-mentioned apps (and DexPot isn't portable), but it's VERY snappy, and it's a nice little virtual desktop app.

@pulp: Sorry to see you've been a victim of SpeedApps. There's got to be a way to take that bastard down.

I'd like to suggest that you have your download link either point directly to the download, or at least to the download portion of the SourceForge site. I don't know how SourceForge's recent redesign works, but this was the first time I had to click several times to get to the actual download.

alanbcohen

#3 Post by alanbcohen »

This looks like a nice program and a good addition here.
To ashghost's comment, VirtualWin does have the ability to have a taskbar pager or a free floating skinnable pager by use of plugins. I have used both and settled on the iconized plugin with the plain skin as it is most like the AltDesk shareware product I had previously licensed and used.

ashghost

#4 Post by ashghost »

alanbcohen wrote: VirtualWin does have the ability to have a taskbar pager or a free floating skinnable pager by use of plugins. I have used both and settled on the iconized plugin with the plain skin as it is most like the AltDesk shareware product I had previously licensed and used.
I went back to VirtuaWin's "modules' page. All I can find is a switcher for the tray (that doesn't show iconized windows of open applications, only desktop numbers) or a floating pager. I guess the tray switcher is good enough, but I like pulp's pager the best, because it's like the default Gnome pager: in the task bar (not in the tray) with iconized windows. That just makes the most sense to me.

FlightGeek

#5 Post by FlightGeek »

VirtualWin did not manage a second display.

alanbcohen

#6 Post by alanbcohen »

ashghost,
Sorry you didn't find the iconized addin for VirtuaWin. Windowspager looks quite good and I'm glad you found something that works for you. I'm posting the link to Iconized for any other people who might like to try VirtuaWin with a free floating pager.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/iconized/

I am Baas

WindowsPager

#7 Post by I am Baas »

WindowsPager is a desktop-switcher/pager for Windows Vista/7/XP/2000 to manage 'virtual' workspaces/desktops. Features:

•virtual desktops, workspaces for Windows Vista/7/XP/2000
•arrange your running applications on different desktops to improve overview
•integration into the panel
•several patterns possible
•64 bit support
•move windows between desktops by drag 'n drop or by using the window menu
•optional keyboard shortcuts for switching the desktop
•set a window "sticky": always visible
•"Mini-Windows" give an overview from each desktop
•support for "Flashing-Windows" (notify for new messages in Mirc for example)
•keep a window above all others by selecting "Keep on top" from the window menu
•drag `n drop between desktops
•dual/multi monitor support
•no administrator rights necessary
•no installation
•safe: automatic window restore even on crash by use of two separate processes.
http://windowspager.sourceforge.net/

Download @ http://sourceforge.net/projects/windowspager/

webfork

Re: WindowsPager

#8 Post by webfork »

Looks great. Remarkably simple and GPLv2. Will try that out soon.

I am Baas

#9 Post by I am Baas »

Just discovered it was suggested before. Moderator, please merge the two threads. Thanks.

WindowsPager is @ V1.02 (Changelog)

Midas

WindowsPager

#10 Post by Midas »

Hard to believe that what might probably be the most rounded, stable, and lightweight desktop manager hasn't been presented here at TPFC -- I'm talking about WindowsPager, an open source, portable (untested!) and x64 native virtual desktop manager, which best of all doesn't require administrator rights...
http://windowspager.sourceforge.net/ author wrote:WindowsPager is a desktop-switcher/pager for Windows Vista/7/XP/2000 to manage 'virtual' workspaces/desktops. It will integrate smoothly into the desktop panel.
Image <= this will be on your taskbar...

The bland skin of the desktop 'mini-windows' (above) is my only gripe, but development seems to have stalled in 2011 (or maybe it is considered so stable now it doesn't require further coding).

Download WindowsPager latest version (v1.02, x32 & x64 both included) from http://sourceforge.net/projects/windowspager/.

Userfriendly

#11 Post by Userfriendly »

Well this is one of the few stuff I've tried that doesn't seem to work with Windows 8. Doesn't show in taskbar, keyboard shortcuts don't work and the right-click context menu on the window titlebar does nothing. I think I'll stick with dexpot.

I am Baas

#12 Post by I am Baas »

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:Please merge all the threads. Thank you.
All set

Midas

Re: WinPager

#14 Post by Midas »

To my defense, I must say that I did a [@] search that came up blank -- hence my surprise at the lack of references. But I have been known to fudge stuff in the past... :oops:

webfork

Re: WinPager

#15 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:I did a [@] search that came up blank
It's cool, I'd somehow forgotten all about this.

Some usage notes:

Love the drag and drop, takes up only 1.9 megs RAM, and wonderfully simple. Great to see something like this on the site: I could never seem to get Dexpot to stay out of my way and VirtuaWin stayed out of my way TOO much.

Wishlist:
  • A config window I think would work better than an INI file, which makes more sense for a program with this kind of straightforward simplicity. I found the INI easy to configure, but a bit difficult to navigate.
  • A dual-monitor setup took up a LOT of real estate in my task bar. I tried to mitigate this, with the PagerOnlyPrimaryScreen setting, but it didn't really work and seemed to mysteriously hide some windows. Further, when I changed over to the other window, I couldn't alt-tab to anything, even windows visible on the secondary monitor.
  • Need a way to turn off Desktops 3 and 4. No matter what I seemed to do in the options, it always showed up from the menu (the one added to left clicking the top left icon of any window).