MP3 Quality Modifier [conversion utility]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
nick2001deuce

MP3 Quality Modifier [conversion utility]

#1 Post by nick2001deuce »

[Mod note: the present is the official forum topic for MP3 Quality Modifier (https://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=1521); post subject amended, original was "MP3 Quality Modifier Settings"]

I'm looking for the best settings on the MP3 Quality Modifier to compress songs on portable MP3 players like ipods, phones etc. Thanks

lautrepay

Re: MP3 Quality Modifier Settings

#2 Post by lautrepay »

nick2001deuce wrote:I'm looking for the best settings on the MP3 Quality Modifier to compress songs on portable MP3 players like ipods, phones etc. Thanks
Hi, nick2001deuce, and welcome to TPFC.
Surely there is no "best settings", but that will depend on each user. However, there are certain parameters that you should consider:
1) Higher quality means more space occupied, and that matters in mobile devices. You should find the lower bitrate with which you have a satisfactory listening. Personally, I feel comfortable with 128 KB CBR for use in my cell phone.
2) Choosing join stereo also slightly reduce the size of the files.
3) When using a constant bitrate you get a longer duration of the battery charge (due to the reduced need for information processing).
4) Finally, whenever possible, you should avoid the transcodification from a lossy format to the same or another lossy format (such as MP3 conversion to MP3). It is preferable to convert directly from the audio CD (more precisely, from WAV) or a lossless encoded file (FLAC, TTA, WavPack) to MP3.
HTH.

nick2001deuce

#3 Post by nick2001deuce »

HTH -

Thank you very much!

All the music on my portable devices are in MP3 format. As most all the music has been downloaded from iTunes and from other media sources, I'm stuck with not being able to use original sources. Having said that, should I keep the setting on the MQM as MP3? Nick

webfork

#4 Post by webfork »

I fully agree with lautrepay on all points except #3 since I personally use Variable bit rate for disk space and quality at the expense of battery. Your needs of course may vary. The available settings for variable bit rate are roughly the same as Constant:

Bitrate (kbps) - Audio Type
  • 22-55 - low quality spoken word
    65-105 - audiobooks, approximately radio-quality
    95-135 - good quality music
From experience, I would avoid re-encoding anything that is around 2x the original to avoid a sort of tin-can-sounding metallic noise that just becomes more pronounced. So for example, the 256 kbps MP3 like what Amazon and Rhapsody sell could be reduced to the good quality range and the 192 kbps could be reduced to the radio quality range. Also, re-encoding an MP3 file more than once will have serious sound artifacts.

nick2001deuce

#5 Post by nick2001deuce »

Webfork: Mucho gracias

danielqsc

#6 Post by danielqsc »

My suggestion:

Bitrate: Variable, 45-85.

bitcoin

#7 Post by bitcoin »

looks like website is gone, also this thread isnt linked on the program page in the upper row, only in the details section

https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=1521

Mike.S.G.

#8 Post by Mike.S.G. »

In the comments for this app CornFlower found a link from web.archive.org to what appears to be a valid download. I found the page but I didn't test the download, it's less than a MB -> https://www.portablefreeware.com/index. ... mment31265

webfork

#9 Post by webfork »

So billon beat me to it again. Entry has been updated with archive.org link.

Midas

Re: MP3 Quality Modifier [conversion utility]

#10 Post by Midas »

Topic edited and moved.

Andrew Lee

Re: MP3 Quality Modifier [conversion utility]

#11 Post by Andrew Lee »

As noted here, MP3 Quality Modifier has a new home, and the database entry has been updated.