WizTree - rapid drive space usage info

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Checker

Re: WizTree

#16 Post by Checker »

antibody wrote:I've just released an update (1.07) that fixes a problem that was occurring on some PCs when extracting file sizes. The new version is available here:
http://antibody-software.com/web/softwa ... ard-drive/
Thanks ... and updated :wink:

I am Baas

#17 Post by I am Baas »

WizTree version 2.00 released (2 June 2016)
Now supports all drive types (not just NTFS drives)
Individual folders can now be scanned ("Select Directory")
Windows Explorer integration
File search feature added
Can now be run without administrator access if required (fast NTFS scanning will not be available)

webfork

#18 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:WizTree version 2.00 released (2 June 2016)
Now supports all drive types (not just NTFS drives)
Individual folders can now be scanned ("Select Directory")
Windows Explorer integration
File search feature added
Can now be run without administrator access if required (fast NTFS scanning will not be available)
Outstanding. Best news all week.

webfork

#19 Post by webfork »

Can someone please verify that the new version of the program works? I'm on Win7x86 and the program won't start. I don't want to update the entry if this is a problem with the distro.

smaragdus

#20 Post by smaragdus »

On my system (Windows 8 x64) I was not able to run WizTree version 2.00, it wasn't very easy to kill the process either:

I don't get what is wrong with this version bit it simply fails to initiate. However WizTree version 1.07 works fine on my machine. I have already notified the developer about the problem.

smaragdus

#21 Post by smaragdus »

An extremely fast response from the developer of WizTree- there is a fixed version- WizTree 2.01 which I tested and I can confirm that it runs just fine!

Edit
This is the change-log for the fixed version 2.01:
WizTree 2.01 (3 June 2016)
- WizTree would constantly restart itself on some PCs due to administrator rights issues (fixed)

webfork

#22 Post by webfork »

antibody wrote:I've just released an update (1.07) that fixes a problem that was occurring on some PCs when extracting file sizes. The new version is available here:
Confirmed. Entry updated.

antibody

#23 Post by antibody »

I'm the developer of WizTree.

@Special reported that 3.36 was "phoning home" to ip address 151.139.128.14 even when WizTree was configured to not check for updates.
The only site WizTree connects to is antibody-software.com (104.156.52.74) and only if the "check for updates" option is on.

I checked the IP 151.139.128.14 and it appears to be linked to malware activity (https://scamalytics.com/ip/151.139.128.14) so I suspect @Special's PC is infected with malware.
In his screen shot (https://funkyimg.com/i/3aXXf.png) you can see that "Windows Firewall Control" also connected to 151.139.128.14

Is anyone else able to confirm that WizTree 3.36 is making Internet connections when "check for updates" is off? I'm unable to replicate this problem on my side.

Edit: It turns out 151.139.128.14 is not malware related (belongs to ocsp.comodoca.com, zerossl.ocsp.sectigo.com, ocsp.sectigo.com) and used to by Windows to validate digital signatures for certificates issued by Comodo/Sectigo. What I've learned from this is that scamalytics.com IP search results may produce completely incorrect information so use it with caution.
Last edited by antibody on Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Special

#24 Post by Special »

Just chiming in to say that yes my build is/was (I went back to 3.35) official and taken from your site, and not some 3rd party. Total Virus showed 100% clean also, with a good Digital Signature.

I have no suggestions anymore, other then do you remember what you did with WizFile, because this literally exact same thing happened with 3.00, I even commented;

https://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2965

And you fixed this issue with the very next build 3.01
WizFile 3.01 (30 November 2020)
- WizFile was ignoring the "check for updates" option and checking for updates each time it started - fixed
So it's something you did with a change, and not a my "system is infected" problem. My system is as tightened and clean as one would expect someone who monitors and blocks connections like this. The people who are ignorant to and don't realize that Windows own built in firewall lets all outbound connections as "allowed" by default are the "system is probably infected" people. :D

antibody

#25 Post by antibody »

@Special:
The update check code in both WizFile and WizTree is the same - this is not related to that. Also, it would be connecting to antibody-software.com (104.156.52.74), not 151.139.128.14

If nobody else has this problem I'm going to assume it's an issue on your PC only.

gbrao

#26 Post by gbrao »

Hi @antibody. Please allow changing font size (maybe font family too). Some of us are not young anymore :-)

bitcoin

#27 Post by bitcoin »

antibody wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:57 pm @Special:
The update check code in both WizFile and WizTree is the same - this is not related to that. Also, it would be connecting to antibody-software.com (104.156.52.74), not 151.139.128.14

If nobody else has this problem I'm going to assume it's an issue on your PC only.
this is what my ESET Internet Security popup says the program (WizTree v3.36) is trying to connect to:

Remote Computer - ocsp.comodoca.com, zerossl.ocsp.sectigo.com, ocsp.sectigo.com (151.139.128.14)

Remote Port - TCP 80 (HTTP)

also, the second time i try to run it the popup domain list also includes: clr.usertrust.com

by the 3rd time starting the program there are 6 domains or URLs listed by the ESET popup

=============================================================

this is with the "Check for Updates" option unchecked

EDIT - after a quick google search it looks like comodoca stands for ComodoCA and along with Sectigo both are involved with SSL certs?

antibody

#28 Post by antibody »

Ah, that's WizTree verifying its digital signature. It's calling a regular Windows API function to do this.

Which version of Windows are you using? I wasn't aware that the Windows api function would require Internet access. It's probably downloading a missing certificate or something like that. I'm on Windows 10 and I haven't seen this connection occur before.

Thanks for the feedback.

webfork

#29 Post by webfork »

antibody wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 10:31 am Is anyone else able to confirm that WizTree 3.36 is making Internet connections when "check for updates" is off? I'm unable to replicate this problem on my side.
I've have it on my todo list to perform a much more thorough view of tracking program activity and connections as part of my portable testing process. The idea was to make the site a more thorough rather than analysis of where settings are saved and maybe a few notes / impressions about a given software. However, as it stands, I'm going to say my current tools and knowledge here are unsure. For example, I didn't know about the signature verification that user bitcoin posted about.

For the moment, I'd probably defer to Virustotal ratings, as anyone getting a perfect or near-perfect score has seen a lot of analysis, including connections to domains/addresses marked as malicious.

bitcoin

#30 Post by bitcoin »

antibody wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:19 pm Ah, that's WizTree verifying its digital signature. It's calling a regular Windows API function to do this.

Which version of Windows are you using?
i'm using Win7 - x64 Pro
antibody wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:19 pm I wasn't aware that the Windows api function would require Internet access. It's probably downloading a missing certificate or something like that. I'm on Windows 10 and I haven't seen this connection occur before.
could be. i've turned off updates several years ago and a while back, maybe 6 months ago, i was having certificate problems - nothing lately though