Save.me (formerly aiClipboard)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
aiClipboard

Re: Save.me (formerly aiClipboard)

#61 Post by aiClipboard »

I seem to forgot the option to show/hide the left panel with the actions/views, will do it but please let me know if you have other things that should be added.
Thanks

Midas

#62 Post by Midas »

Hi, there. Been testing the latest version of SaveMe (v2.1.5 64 bits) and I have a couple of suggestions for better usability:
  • I experimented with the new layouts, and currently my preferred is the "Vertical" layout combined with the "Research" view; I find the columns of the later should be user customizable (regarding visibility, position and sorting, like in a spreadsheet; maybe with the exception of the "Caption" -- which is in fact the saved clipping -- and the distinguishing icon before it, which if possible should be made even more distinctive, by loosing the box around the content type icons, for instance).
  • The search box should also be moved to top of the sidebar menu or, better yet, to the right of the vast header space of the research view, on top of its columns...
  • The sidebar feature should display clippings in (an ordered) list format (icons+"Caption"), instead of the current tiles with icons and (partial) text.
I'm expecting this could make SaveMe even better than it already is -- I'll be sure to add more suggestions as I play further with it.

Thanks for your work and consideration. 8)

aiClipboard

#63 Post by aiClipboard »

Thank you for the feedback

1) You can save layout (actions panel -> views) and that will save the current layout of the research view.
2) Not sure I understand what you meant with the icon column.
3) The search is relevant to all views, this is why it is in the "always accessed" area of the application. You also have the wizard search. I can move it near the active checkbox but how is it more convenient/usable comparing to its current location?
4) the sidebar shows you the icon + caption and when hovering, it shows you the full caption and when clicking it shows the full caption as well. You say you prefer it will show the full caption? the thing is the caption can be too long for that so hovering will be needed anyway. Notice that you can cancel the icon part so only the caption will be visible, is it better?

Midas

#64 Post by Midas »

aiClipboard wrote:1) You can save layout (actions panel -> views) and that will save the current layout of the research view.
  • I did... :)
aiClipboard wrote:2) Not sure I understand what you meant with the icon column.
  • The first column to the left in the research view, with no header text, that displays little icons that change with clippings content...
aiClipboard wrote:3) The search is relevant to all views, this is why it is in the "always accessed" area of the application. You also have the wizard search. I can move it near the active checkbox but how is it more convenient/usable comparing to its current location?
  • I agree with its relevance, which is why it doesn't condone relegating it to the bottom of the menu sidebar -- BTW, resulting from embedded psychological structures in left-to-right readers, of the four corners of the screen, the lower left one is the least relevant, which is why TVs place mostly static information like logos in that location.

I just think it should appear near the top, in a position of greater prominence.
aiClipboard wrote:4) the sidebar shows you the icon + caption and when hovering, it shows you the full caption and when clicking it shows the full caption as well. You say you prefer it will show the full caption? the thing is the caption can be too long for that so hovering will be needed anyway. Notice that you can cancel the icon part so only the caption will be visible, is it better?
  • The best counter-example that comes to mind presently is from Linux clipboard managers like Parcellite or Glipper(?), which in case of clippings greater than a user preset value (e.g., 50 chars) show just the first 25 and the last 25 -- displaying the content type descriptor instead of non-textual content.

aiClipboard

#65 Post by aiClipboard »

1) You did and it worked as you wanted it to? :) Or is there a bug so save layout doesn't work?
2) Yeah, I meant what do you mean by "should be made even more distinctive, by loosing the box around the content type icons"?
3) Sure thing, I will show it as the first section in the side panel.
4) Sorry, not sure I understand "displaying the content type descriptor instead of non-textual content" - showing just the icon won't be enough, showing part of the text and all of it when hovering gives the user an idea what this item is.

Midas

#66 Post by Midas »

aiClipboard wrote:1) You did and it worked as you wanted it to? Or is there a bug so save layout doesn't work?
  • No, save layout did totally work. What didn't work was customization for columns and such -- I wanted to hide some, and move the rest around...
aiClipboard wrote:2) Yeah, I meant what do you mean by "should be made even more distinctive, by loosing the box around the content type icons"?
  • The icons for text or HTML are made of a black box with a letter inside, like a 'T' or an 'H'. On small screens (I'm currently on a 10" @ 1366x768), it's difficult to tell them apart.
aiClipboard wrote:3) Sure thing, I will show it as the first section in the side panel.
  • 8)
aiClipboard wrote:4) Sorry, not sure I understand "displaying the content type descriptor instead of non-textual content" - showing just the icon won't be enough, showing part of the text and all of it when hovering gives the user an idea what this item is.
  • Your last sentence is correct, that's exactly what I had in mind. About the quotation, I just meant that when an image is copied, the list will display "image", "gif" or something of the sort...

aiClipboard

#67 Post by aiClipboard »

1) I'm confused, save layout does exactly that, stores the layout of this grid so if you move/hide/show columns, it will store its current state for the next time you open the application

2) OK, so the problem is with the T and H icons, anything else? Can you post a screenshot of the T and H problem? Couldn't see it happening on my side.

4) showing the text GIF/IMAGE instead of the caption? in what way is it better? I might show the image in a larger view when hovering an image item, will that help? Try to tell me in what way it is more usable so I understand what the problem is

I just found a very nasty bug so I want to release 2.1.6 soon, right after I will finish with all your pointers...

Midas

#68 Post by Midas »

aiClipboard wrote:1) I'm confused, save layout does exactly that, stores the layout of this grid so if you move/hide/show columns, it will store its current state for the next time you open the application
  • You're right. After re-downloading the 32 bit version (different machine), I was able to move columns around and save the layout. But how does one hide column? Also column width mouse pointer isn't showing in some of them...
aiClipboard wrote:2) OK, so the problem is with the T and H icons, anything else? Can you post a screenshot of the T and H problem? Couldn't see it happening on my side.
  • My current machine has only a slightly better vertical resolution (14" @ 1280x800), but the bigger screen voids the issue. A screenshot is attached, anyway...
aiClipboard wrote:4) showing the text GIF/IMAGE instead of the caption? in what way is it better? I might show the image in a larger view when hovering an image item, will that help? Try to tell me in what way it is more usable so I understand what the problem is
  • There really isn't any problem, it's working as you planned it; I was just suggesting a readability enhancement, which IMHO translates to a list view for the sidebar. Image "captions" are arbitrary, e.g., in the case of screenshots they get set by SaveMe. But I really like the preview on hover solution.

And please don't delay the next release for my sake. :o
    SaveMe-icons.png
    SaveMe-icons.png (2.74 KiB) Viewed 21836 times

aiClipboard

#69 Post by aiClipboard »

1) My bad, you can't hide them. What do you mean by: "column width mouse pointer isn't showing in some of them"?
2) There is a noticeable difference between the T and the H, no?
4) The caption is the text (in case of text) the image name (in case of the image) so I'm not sure what do you mean by "Image "captions" are arbitrary". I will add the preview pane when hovering an image item on the sidebar.

I prefer not to release a new version just to release another one the day after, once we will close all your issues, I will release the version.

Midas

#70 Post by Midas »

aiClipboard wrote:1) My bad, you can't hide them. What do you mean by: "column width mouse pointer isn't showing in some of them"?
  • pointer.png
    pointer.png (1.57 KiB) Viewed 21800 times
aiClipboard wrote:2) There is a noticeable difference between the T and the H, no?
  • As stated, not on smaller screens.
aiClipboard wrote:4) The caption is the text (in case of text) the image name (in case of the image) so I'm not sure what do you mean by "Image "captions" are arbitrary". I will add the preview pane when hovering an image item on the sidebar.
  • When I made screenshots with the PrtSc key, SaveMe assigned 'Image1.png', 'Image2.png', and so forth -- that naming scheme gets displayed by SaveMe; it's arbitrary inasmuch as there isn't an option to configure it in program settings, and an unaware user won't necessarily associate those names with objects previously present on his local file system...

Please re-read previous notes to avoid confusion regarding the meaning of the suggestions I made.

aiClipboard

#71 Post by aiClipboard »

1, Yeah because the icon and the date cannot be resized because their size has a meaning so I made them fixed.
2. I will need to see an example on smaller screens because otherwise I won't know how to make it noticeable on smaller screens :)
3. OK, I thought you meant something else by arbitrary, this is why I wanted to make sure what you meant. The icon of an image item does show its content but it is a small size so I guess the preview idea I mentioned earlier will resolve this item.

If I left out anything, let me know.

Midas

#72 Post by Midas »

Nope. Thanks for listening. 8)

aiClipboard

#73 Post by aiClipboard »

2.1.6 is out :)
Thank you for your feedback

SYSTEM

#74 Post by SYSTEM »

aiClipboard wrote:2.1.6 is out :)
Entry updated. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

smaragdus

Re: Save.me 2.3.2

#75 Post by smaragdus »

Save.me at version 2.3.2.

Old page - http://www.aiclipboard.com/save.me/ - is now Forbidden (HTTP 403).

New page - http://www.aiclipboard.com/

I could not find any change log, the page where the latest changes were usually announced (http://www.aiclipboard.com/save.me/faq.html) is gone too (HTTP 404).