ASuite - application launcher

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
nycjv321

#136 Post by nycjv321 »

awesome ill be sure to upgrade to this release later on tonight thx! :D

joby_toss

#137 Post by joby_toss »

When I thought it couldn't get any better... :), thanks !

Here is my romanian translation for 1.15.1 with diacritics (opened for improvements).
http://rapidshare.com/files/105787745/A ... nguage.zip

I don't know if anybody already suggested this, but could it be possible to launch files from "ASuite USB device" with applications from the same device ? Like when ASuite is running, the .txt files from USB device would open with Notepad++ (located also on my device) and not with the system default application for .txt files.
Something like this is achived by running CAFE (open source- http://clef.usb.googlepages.com/cafe ) but would be nice to be integrated into ASuite, not "A must" though :) .

El Salvador

#138 Post by El Salvador »

Here is my romanian translation for 1.15.1 with diacritics (opened for improvements).
I updated romanian lang on asuite subversion and added in download page (on sourceforge). Thank you.
I don't know if anybody already suggested this, but could it be possible to launch files from "ASuite USB device" with applications from the same device ? Like when ASuite is running, the .txt files from USB device would open with Notepad++ (located also on my device) and not with the system default application for .txt files.
Something like this is achived by running CAFE (open source- http://clef.usb.googlepages.com/cafe ) but would be nice to be integrated into ASuite, not "A must" though Smile .
It's a (very) nice idea, but it requires too long time to develop it in a minor version, like 1.5.x (1.5.2, 1.5.3 and etc...). I will develop it for ASuite 2.0 or 2.1.[/code]

bassiliin

#139 Post by bassiliin »

i'm getting error with new ASuite 1.5.1 (.zip version):

Code: Select all

libmng.dll was not loaded correctly
no such thing with 1.5.0

El Salvador

#140 Post by El Salvador »

D'oh, I forgot to include libmng.dll in asuite packages (zip, install and sources). Download libmng.zip from download page (or download again ASuite zip version, I just uploaded new packages with libmng.dll) and extract the dll in ASuite directory.

Sorry. :oops:

bassiliin

#141 Post by bassiliin »

now other weird things occure:

if I set ASuite to show application info, select some program, then it opens the info window, but doesn't show anything. information comes to this window only if i click with mouse to select this window.

and also, if ASuite window is opened then CPU usage goes immediately to 50% :/

Edit: now i figured out how to produce it and also cure it.

* It happens if you open ASuite window and there are program folders list opened (i have "Portable Programs" and under there 300 program folders listed). then selecting Options and then press OK. nothing even changed. The problems above occure.

* If i collapse program folders list (in my case only "Portable Programs" are visible) - the problem is solved.

Edit2: is it possible to improve the programs search-scanner handling folders which have period in their name? After scanning for software ASuite results the folder name what is before period (for example "i.Scribe" as "i"). Everything that is in the oter side of period will just be ignored. is it possible that ASuite will show whole folder name?

El Salvador

ASuite 1.5.1.1 stable version released

#142 Post by El Salvador »

I just released ASuite 1.5.1 stable version (like ASuite 1.5.1, no alpha/beta for this version). This is a only maintenance version of last ASuite version: I only fixed bugs of ASuite 1.5.1 and I didn't added new features.

For who doesn't know it, ASuite is an application launcher to manage an unlimited number of files, folders and webpage for quick access. It is designed to work with removable storage (uses relative paths) media like USB sticks, hard drives, iPods, etc.

Changes
BugFixes
  • Wrong label in window Software Order (ID 1938579)
  • "Run and Hide" setting does not hide ASuite taskbar icon (ID 1940426)
  • ASuite does not execute software with relative path with “..” (ID 1940450)
  • ASuite opens folders or applications in normal state (default) and not its last state (ID 1961889)
Project page (on sourceforge)

Download

Thanks everybody for your help and support in this forum. :wink:

nycjv321

#143 Post by nycjv321 »

cool, thx for making the best USB Menu Application :P downloading it right now. Did you see my response for the bug I mentioned or did this release fix it?

El Salvador

ASuite 2.0 Alpha 1 released

#144 Post by El Salvador »

I am pleased to announce that ASuite 2.0 Alpha 1 is available for download by developers and testers. This is an early developer release intended for testing purposes only.

This alpha has only basic features, without advanced functions, like Scheduler, Hotkey, Mouse Sensors and etc... Don't worry, these functions will back, but as plugins in Alpha 2. For more information, see the roadmap.

Changelog
Frontend
  • New Import window (more user friendly)
  • Improved Search
  • Most Frequently Used list
  • Folder auto-expansion in Trayicon Menu (see image)
  • Captioned separator in Trayicon Menu (see image)
Backend
  • Rewrite ASuite code
  • Faster and lighter (ram usage)
  • Use sqlite database as storage format (instead xml)
  • Complete PNG support
  • Import settings (only from ASuite 1.x and 2.0)
Known issues
It is not yet recommended to use this release for daily browsing tasks. It is being made available for testing purposes only. This version is not available in other language than English. I will add other language in Alpha 2.

Project Page

Download ASuite 2.0 Alpha 1

joby_toss

Re: ASuite 2.0 Alpha 1 released

#145 Post by joby_toss »

I almost gave up hope!
Welcome back!!!!!!!!!! :P

webfork

#146 Post by webfork »

Yes, thank goodness.

Lupo73

#147 Post by Lupo73 »

Very good! I'm testing it to collaborate to development.. :wink:

lyx

#148 Post by lyx »

Keep in mind that a database behaves very differently to XML or configfiles. SQLite doesn't automatically compact the DB, unless the coder regularily instructs it to VACUUM. Next up, if you start to use the DB like a DB... that is, to frequently commit small changes (like, i.e. usage stats of apps), you will for every transaction trigger hdd activity. This for example is why if you have firefox running, your hdd will never ever enter sleep mode.

Personally, i don't see much point in the switch to sqlite. XML files may frequently be abused in app development, but something like a startmenu with some attributes is exactly what XML would be good for.

El Salvador

#149 Post by El Salvador »

Next up, if you start to use the DB like a DB... that is, to frequently commit small changes
No, I manage sqlite as xml in previous versions. In fact, in ASuite there is yet option SaveSecurity (create a temporary list and save it when user modifies list):

With SaveSecurity on:
[user open asuite] load sqlite db in application data (ram)->[user modifies list] save sqlite db in ASuiteTemp.sqlite->[user shutdown asuite] save sqlite db in ASuite.sqlite
With SaveSecurity off:
[user open asuite] load sqlite db in application data (ram)->[user shutdown asuite] save sqlite db in ASuite.sqlite
XML files may frequently be abused in app development, but something like a startmenu with some attributes is exactly what XML would be good for.
Because in future I will insert objects (for example, item's icon cache) directly in sqlite db.

lyx

#150 Post by lyx »

Sounds good. However, an option may not even be needed. One could just dump the in-ram db to disk in long intervals IF changes were made - i.e., every hour. That should for most situations provide enough crash-robustness.

P.S.: I myself am a PStart user. I tried out asuite about a year ago, but went back to pstart for reasons which i dont remember. One thing which i do miss from PStart and ASuite, is the ability to toggle mouse sensors with a hotkey - for fullscreen games and similiar things its quite annoying having to exit pstart and then restarting it later, just to temporarily get rid of mouse sensors (changing the options every time would be even more annoying). Of course, if mousesensors could automatically detect fullscreen and disable themselves in such situations, that would be even better.

P.S.2: Disabling safesecurity doesn't work properly yet it this alpha. Doing so will apparently save no settings on exit, and on next launch, asuite will complain that it didn't shutdown correctly.