ASuite - application launcher

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Alexander

#31 Post by Alexander »

El Salvador wrote:Why?
Too much info, as for me.

Do you really need to write Description, Rating and Notes to software you have on your USB drive?

Info Screen (right part) I think has no practical sense. What is its purpose?

A suggestion also: when scanning for executables it's better to name tree elements not with executable file name but with name written in PE header.

Cheers.

El Salvador

#32 Post by El Salvador »

Do you really need to write Description, Rating and Notes to software you have on your USB drive?

Info Screen (right part) I think has no practical sense. What is its purpose?
From this version, you can hide Info Window (option->uncheck show application info). :D
A suggestion also: when scanning for executables it's better to name tree elements not with executable file name but with name written in PE header.
Thanks. :)

Toxteth O'Grady

#33 Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

Some more suggestions. :)

- A single-click launch option (single click instead of double click for launching a program)
- Automatically close Asuite after launching a program.

Alexander

#34 Post by Alexander »

Toxteth O'Grady wrote:- Automatically close Asuite after launching a program.
Probably you meaned "hiding" instead of "closing" Asuite.

Darkbee

#35 Post by Darkbee »

Alexander wrote:
Toxteth O'Grady wrote:- Automatically close Asuite after launching a program.
Probably you meaned "hiding" instead of "closing" Asuite.
Not necessarily... you might want to perform a task for which it is advantageous to close as many applications as possible. Although, I agree minimizing the launcher application is also a useful option.

Toxteth O'Grady

#36 Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

No, I meant "close", as I don't use the system tray icon. Asuite starts fast enough without it, in my opinion.

But that's a good point. here is another suggestion: :wink:
- An option for "hiding" the program window after launching a program when the system tray icon is active.

El Salvador

#37 Post by El Salvador »

- A single-click launch option (single click instead of double click for launching a program)
- Automatically close Asuite after launching a program.
[...]
- An option for "hiding" the program window after launching a program when the system tray icon is active.
Ok, I will add them in ASuite 1.4. :)

Thank you. :D

El Salvador

#38 Post by El Salvador »

I will add them in ASuite 1.4.
Hello, some days ago I released ASuite 1.3.1 Beta (I will release stable version on december) and I inserted your options in this version (and not 1.4).

Thank you. :D

Toxteth O'Grady

#39 Post by Toxteth O'Grady »

I really like the program as it is now. Single click launch and the "Run and close" option are great. :D
And fortunately it seems to be working perfectly. No bugs, at least I haven't come across any.

I really appreciate all the work you have put into this update. Thank you very much.

El Salvador

ASuite 1.3.1 stable version released

#40 Post by El Salvador »

Fluffy

#41 Post by Fluffy »

So... is this a minor update or a major update? What's changed?

El Salvador

#42 Post by El Salvador »

It's a minor update: I added new launcher and software option, separator, new variable for paths ($Drive, ex. $Drive\path\file.exe is equal to H:\path\file.exe, if ASuite is on H drive), improved function Cache and bug fix. :)

Darkbee

#43 Post by Darkbee »

I just tried this program out for the very first time and must say that I was pleasantly surprised, there are some really nice features and I was almost tempted to abandon PStart right there and then BUT (and you knew it was coming didn't you!)...

The memory usage seems to be more than double that of PStart. For 111 items (I imported them directly from the PStart.xml file) ASuite's memory usage was around 14MB whereas PStart was at around 6MB. Asuite's executable may be "Lightweight: only 460KB" but is there any chance of bringing the memory usage down a bit?

I would say that if ASuite's memory usage was on par with PStart then it would become a serious contender to replace the mighty PStart... give yourself a pat on the back El Salvador for a job well done... so far!

Fluffy

#44 Post by Fluffy »

Wow, I just checked out ASuite (for the most part I was happy with PStart and didn't really bother checking it out) and I must say that it's a fantastic piece of software. I really like it a lot, good job! However, can you make it so the windows key is bindable for hotkeys? Also, while dragging items the list does not scroll up or down, can this be implemented as well?

I'm definitely switching over to this from PStart. The layout is far superior and it "feels" nicer.

Fluffy

#45 Post by Fluffy »

A nifty little idea to munch on: integration with TPFC. You'd hafta talk it over with Andrew to see how it'd all work out, but when you click "Retrieve Information" you could have it optionally query TPFC to fill out Description and Home Page as well as check out Version information and optionally inform the user of available updates. If we ever get a rating system set up here the Rating could also be gathered from TPFC. Could be very interesting to look into, at least. :)

Bug problem: I can't seem to get Home Pages to open. I click on the Home Page link, but nothing comes up with Opera.