IE Portable

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
ts2do

IE Portable

#1 Post by ts2do »

Name: IE6 Portable
Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?agnqntxom0s
Category: Internet
Synopsis: IE6 Portable includes a portable wrapper that launches the IE6 stand-alone package by Eolas.
Writes settings to: Application Directory.
How to extract: Download the Portable self-extracting executable package and extract to a folder of your choice.
Stealth: ?
Unicode Support: ?
License: ?
System Requirements: (Same as IE6)
--------------------------------------------------
Name: IE7 Portable
Download Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?fx5iz4sxpnp
Category: Internet
Synopsis: IE7 Portable includes a portable wrapper that launches IE7.
Writes settings to: Application Directory.
How to extract: Download the Portable self-extracting executable package and extract to a folder of your choice.
Stealth: ?
Unicode Support: ?
License: ?
System Requirements: (Same as IE7)
Last edited by ts2do on Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LzBy1

IE Dependencies

#2 Post by LzBy1 »

IE is dependent on a wide variety of files. I'm only bringing this up because I question the total portability of the application. If someone out there managed to organize Microsoft's messy browser into a clean-cut portable application then my hat's off to you. Keep in mind that IE7 will only work on Windows XP or later. I haven't got around to testing this application yet, but if anyone is, test and see what happens when an IE dependent application or an application with IE embedded tries to access IE while the portable version is running. Something tells me that IE has been recoded, not just repacked, you might have a problem. Also, will the program run without IE already installed on the system? I hope this application checks out, I will get around to testing it, mainly out of curiosity.

My biggest question is: Why IE?

There are so many other much much much better portable browsers out there (Firefox) and most Windows PC's have IE pre-installed anyway.

LzBy1

Tested: Failed from the get go

#3 Post by LzBy1 »

Tried the IE6 Portable on Windows 2000 Pro. Got the "Not a valid Win32 Application error." Any suggestions? :?

ts2do

#4 Post by ts2do »

Why IE? mostly for developers that want to test websites on all platforms...

LzBy1

You're right...

#5 Post by LzBy1 »

I know...I'm sorry. I just don't like IE. Even for development purposes. It's not that I have a bias or anything :roll: , it's just that I prefer working applications :wink: . But I honestly have not been able to get the downloads from the links to work. The download file size is 0 bytes... that might be why it's not a valid windows application. Any suggestions?

ts2do

#6 Post by ts2do »

Links updated.....
nobody likes to develop for IE but it has to be done

alanbcohen

#7 Post by alanbcohen »

ts2do wrote:Links updated.....
If a site can put up a "must use IE" sign, why not put up one that says "Please use Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, Dillo, IceWeasel or other HTML standard compatible browser. Microsoft variants not supported."

LzBy1

IE is for newbs

#8 Post by LzBy1 »

alanbcohen wrote:
ts2do wrote:Links updated.....
If a site can put up a "must use IE" sign, why not put up one that says "Please use Firefox, Opera, Konqueror, Dillo, IceWeasel or other HTML standard compatible browser. Microsoft variants not supported."
Because unfortunately, a lot of computer users only know how to work IE because it comes bundled with their computer. Those that aren't computer literate don't know the difference between browsers. I know it took my parent's forever just to learn IE. I guess when computers come so naturally to some, it's hard to understand why others struggle to find the print button. :lol:

ts2do

#9 Post by ts2do »

LzBy1

Awesome

#10 Post by LzBy1 »

haha... that's hilarious :lol:

he looks like my high school physics teacher
Last edited by LzBy1 on Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

LzBy1

Testing complete

#11 Post by LzBy1 »

I tested IE6 portable and IE7 portable on vista. IE6 portable crashed. IE7 portable opened but it had all of my plugins from my pc in it. This means that it is accessing IE resources. So I don't know if you can count that as portable. I also got an error message referring to a non-existing file location when I tried to open favorites. I don't know if these errors are only on vista or what. I'm just reporting my findings. I hope that helps.

ts2do

#12 Post by ts2do »

Oh well...at least I gave an effort :-/

LzBy1

It could still work...

#13 Post by LzBy1 »

Hey, this application could still work I tested it on Windows Vista. That could be there problem in of itself.

warpower

#14 Post by warpower »

I all,

can you please give me a good link to download the ie6 portable?

Very thanks

WP

portackager

#15 Post by portackager »

"The file you requested was removed for violating MediaFire's Terms of Service or Acceptable Use Policy"

Would you mind reuploading the file to a different host? I want to try IE6, I have IE7 and miss the brutality that IE6 offers. (no tabs :P)