Misc Applications (mostly utilities)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Teddybear1974NL

Misc Applications (mostly utilities)

#1 Post by Teddybear1974NL »

Regalyzer Bow for the new king of registry editors!
Runalyzer Another, but good Start Up items editor/analyzer
Filalyzer gives more info about files and folders then you ever wanted to know

Avast worm/virus cleaner
Norman Malware Cleaner
Panda Anti Root kit

Siren 1.90 Rename tool
Extreme Password Generator ProBest password generator I know
Watcher Nasir's Application Watches for changes in directories. Bad: need to register on website
Excel cracker Excel password recovery tool
ZIp Recover Recovers Zip Paswords

TopStyle Lite Cascading Style Sheet editor
HTAccessible HT access file editor

Mp3MyMp3 Sound recorder (should be able to record anything you can hear through your speakers to mp3. Made in Shockwave, but supplied as a single executable (not 100% sure bout the portability as shockwave is installed everywhere around the house)

AudioNUTPlayer able to play many different audio types
Cornice Open source image viewer not the best, but free for commercial use
The Guide Outliner with RTF support Might try to install shell file extension settings.
Timetracker Freeware and portable Timesheet application.
Simple currency converter Converts between 8 different currencies, daily updateable exchange rates
GraphCalc A maths program/calculator, very capable

FileHamster this is a program that manages document versions. However.. If you don't buy the only Commercial module, if might nag once a day. On the other hand, i have not seen another portable program alike. Sitting on the fence weather too keep it or not.

portackager

#2 Post by portackager »

You've got quite an interesting list.

About filehamster last time I heard, it uses the .net framework, and writes settings in a non portable manner.

Teddybear1974NL

#3 Post by Teddybear1974NL »

Thanks, then i put that off my list

Saves another MB or 2

dasfx

#4 Post by dasfx »

Wow, quite a list. I have downloaded almost all of them, but haven't gotten a chance to test many. So far Siren looks good (2.0 is available now), actually great for me. Cornice, however, writes files to my user folder (a .cornice directory that contains the settings for the app). I will add Siren later and try to test the other ones as well.

DasFX
[EDIT]
Looks like RegAlyzer leaves a slew of registry entries behind, including the last search string, search info, window location etc. It is a great registry editor however, and I know it will stay on my machine, but will not be added to the database, unless another mod would like to override me.
[/EDIT]

Teddybear1974NL

#5 Post by Teddybear1974NL »

Ahh yes, Too bad about regalyzer.
The thing is, I do IT support for several companies, I usually am already glad if they don;t whine if you make them portable , don't leave to many trails and are allowed to use commercially.

The programs on above list are on my 'First - Aid' stick.. so.. my apologies, if they are not completely portable to other people's standards. Especially when budget is zero, one is not that picky

dasfx

#6 Post by dasfx »

No problem at all. It is a great list, just still working my way through it :). Siren has been added. Sorry to end this post on a bad note, but The Guide (another app that I use on a regular basis) keeps settings in the registry as well. Damn.

DasFX

dasfx

#7 Post by dasfx »

I tried AudioNut (Lite) today. While it does appear to be portable (settings written to its own directory) it also seems really buggy. Crashed on me 3 times. Still on the fence. Does anyone else use this app? Any thoughts? Thanks.

[EDIT]
Extreme Password Generator Pro has been added to the database.
[/EDIT]

DasFX

dasfx

#8 Post by dasfx »

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but TimeTracker, which seems kind of cool, also seems to require .NET. Filalyzer writes its settings for the window placement, as well as others to the registry.

DasFX

limextreme

#9 Post by limextreme »

Hmm. I don't think Zip Password Finder, Extreme Password Generator, and Simple Currency Converter are portable apps :(
I'm not sure... Please check.