Index Your Files

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Rafael Castro

Re: Index Your Files v5 - Release

#76 Post by Rafael Castro »

:mrgreen:
Thanks guys.

Rafael Castro

Index Your Files v5.0.2.5

#77 Post by Rafael Castro »

26 August 2010 - v5.0.2.5
^ Improved Search Text ( Unicode Word Documents )

Notes:
1) When hidden the preview (with splitter) IYF not load files in the preview.
It is easier to work with the files found.
2) To adjust the columns automatically (name,size,date...) double click on the bottom panel of help.

usdcs

#78 Post by usdcs »

For everyone's convenience, the DB entry is here.

Rafael Castro

#79 Post by Rafael Castro »

oki, thanks usdcs

:wink:

webfork

Re: Index Your Files - X !

#80 Post by webfork »

Had a use for this today so I ran it through the steps.

Some usage notes:
  • Size – a database of a large hard drive (Around 3.5 TBs with 633 thousand files of movies, music, etc.) built a database of 100 megs. It appears to generate 3 files per database: DBP, DBT, and PRT. Scanning took roughly an hour.
  • Indexes do not include any kind of content so if you do a text search prepare to wait for it to read every file. DocFetcher does this much better. However, IYF and DocFetcher would compliment each other well as one focuses entirely on file names, the other almost entirely on content.
  • The database unfortunately doesn't organize itself into subfolders so you can't do a search for a given folder inside the database, only keywords. The alternative here is to generate multiple databases for multiple folders rather than just c:\ for example.
  • The preview tool works great but uses the built-in Windows Media Player so if you have an older version or don't have many installed codecs, it might not be able to preview anything.
  • Can only import or export to it's own format IYF.

Rafael.Castro

Index Your Files ( Windows - Linux - Mac )

#81 Post by Rafael.Castro »

Any betatester to test IYF on Windows Linux and Mac ?
Now I am creating IYF by modules, I need to test the indexing engine on all three operating systems. A portable program for each operating system.
What ? yep.

http://indexyourfiles.com/

webfork

Re: Index Your Files ( Windows - Linux - Mac )

#82 Post by webfork »

Rafael.Castro wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:13 pm Any betatester to test IYF on Windows Linux and Mac ?
Now I am creating IYF by modules, I need to test the indexing engine on all three operating systems. A portable program for each operating system.
What ? yep.

http://indexyourfiles.com/
Thanks for posting and welcome to the site!

While I am very interested in such a project and I think the portable community would have great interest in the results, I'm a little overloaded with my current projects. Please keep posting about your progress and, if things open up, I'd be happy to try and contribute in testing on both Mac and Windows systems.

webfork

Re: Index Your Files (Pro)

#83 Post by webfork »

So IYF Pro is now available (now at Beta 17) and the developer has been and is active on these forums, so I put together some notes:

Primary features

* Cross-platform (Linux, Windows, Mac)
* Searches the internals of text and PDF files
* Very fast and lightweight

Program notes

* Resources: Uses up about 4.5 megs of RAM, 18 megs of disk space (without the index)

I was a little unclear because I test inside Windows Sandbox and that may have interfered but it didn't seem to support searching Office filetypes.

Prompt to donate

* I was prompted with this after my second launch with a 3 second countdown (as discussed in this thread). It seems to come up every 5 mins or so.

Other bits

These are important for me but not something most users will care about

* Ability to index both files and file contents
* Support for Regular Expressions in either the file name or file contents search (or both)
* Search LibreOffice file content like ODT, ODS, ODP. etc.
* Available "NEAR" search options so you can look for files that have words appearing in the same paragraph, sentence, page, etc.
* Command-line options
* Ability to include/exclude by file type (e.g. exclude all .INI files but include all .HTML files)
* Preview Window that works with files other than just text

Recommendations

* Using 7zip to compress the download resulted in a 3.3 meg download vs. the current 6.7 meg ZIP file (less than half). It might make sense to optionally offer a 7z distro to save bandwidth.

Other program screenshots

Rafael Castro

Re: Index Your Files

#84 Post by Rafael Castro »

Thanks for the review!
I would like to comment that many of the features you mention are easy to implement in Windows.
Being a multi-platform program I need IYF to be the same on all platforms and that's why
IYF development is slow. because it is cross-platform. What in Windows is easy to implement in Linux or Mac is more complicated.

We keep working !

Rafael Castro

Can you delete IYF from your database ? Thank you

#85 Post by Rafael Castro »

At present 2023 this software has nothing to do with the 2010 version. Thank you.

Andrew Lee

Re: Can you delete IYF from your database ? Thank you

#86 Post by Andrew Lee »

Rafael Castro wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:35 pm At present 2023 this software has nothing to do with the 2010 version. Thank you.
I thought it more appropriate to move your new post to the existing topic for IYF.

What do you guys think? I am guessing from webfork's update in his latest post is IYF Pro is quite a different beast from the original IYF. At the very least, it is nagware.

So we could either forcefully demote the entry as Rafael suggested, or update the entry with the latest info but label it as nagware.

Any other suggestions?

vevy

#87 Post by vevy »

While I am for respecting developer wishes (especially if the entry is for a buggy or insecure build), the concept of "last freeware version" is well-established even when the developer wants users to move to the latest (usually paid) iteration; so I am going to lean on the side of user right by voting to update the entry to the latest version and adding a note in the description linking the last freeware version.

webfork

#88 Post by webfork »

Andrew Lee wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:50 pm
Rafael Castro wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:35 pm At present 2023 this software has nothing to do with the 2010 version. Thank you.
I thought it more appropriate to move your new post to the existing topic for IYF.

What do you guys think? I am guessing from webfork's update in his latest post is IYF Pro is quite a different beast from the original IYF. At the very least, it is nagware.

So we could either forcefully demote the entry as Rafael suggested, or update the entry with the latest info but label it as nagware.

Any other suggestions?
This kind of came up with Serva awhile back. The author in that situation took issue with our entry and wanted us to delete it. We ended up leaving it up.

I personally find repeated nag screens like what's present in the new IYF program unusable. It's really just commercial / demo software to me at that point. As such, my recommendation is to either take down the entry entirely or leave the old IYF program in the database. I appreciate that Rafael is trying to find a way to make money off his work and fully hope he succeeds, but don't want to point visitors to nagware.

I'm happy to put a big note in the entry saying that a nagware/commercial version is also available to help point people to the new-and-improved, commercial IYF.

---

EDIT: Oh and we are *currently* linking to the NEW version. Here's a link to the old version.

Midas

#89 Post by Midas »

In short, I second webfork and vevy.

But, for the sake of transparency, do label the program's entry, please.

vevy

#90 Post by vevy »

webfork wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 5:23 am EDIT: Oh and we are *currently* linking to the NEW version. Here's a link to the old version.
IA