FileOptimizer - broad format compression

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

FileOptimizer - broad format compression

#1 Post by I am Baas »

[Moderator note: this is the primary FileOptimizer program thread. View database entry]

----
FileOptimizer is a lossless file size optimizer supporting AIR, APK, APNG APPX, BMP, CBZ, DOCX, DLL, EPUB, EXE, GIF, GZ, ICO, JAR, JPEG, MNG, MP3, MPP, PNG, PPTX, ODT, OGG, OGV, PDF, PUB, SCR, SWF, TIF, VSD, WEBP, XAP, XLSX, and ZIP file formats among others.

It keeps the behaviour of the file untouched, but with its size reduced thanks to several recompression and optimization techniques.
http://guti.is-great.org/static.php?page=FileOptimizer

Dl @ http://www.squeezechart.com/optimizer/F ... erFull.zip

Version tested: V1.65

Tested: Portable

Settings: Application folder

PNG processing is sloooooooooooow.
Last edited by I am Baas on Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

I am Baas

Re: FileOptimizer

#2 Post by I am Baas »

Now hosted on SF @ http://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.net/stati ... eOptimizer
Version 1.70.104 - 2012/09/07
- Improved PNG, APNG, ZIP and GZ compression ratio including defluff (m^2).
- Improved PNG and APNG compression ratio upgrading to OptiPNG Hg 20120824.
- It is possible to add files in several batches, until Optimize option is choosen.
- Updated autoupdate functionality to new home at http://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.net

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

I tested version 1.70.104 on WinXP SP3. Pushed several files to the program including APNG, PNG, DOCX, EXE, GIF, BMP, and ZIP without effect. Anyone else having this issue?

I am Baas

#4 Post by I am Baas »

webfork wrote:I tested version 1.70.104 on WinXP SP3. Pushed several files to the program including APNG, PNG, DOCX, EXE, GIF, BMP, and ZIP without effect. Anyone else having this issue?
Did you right-click the files and choose "Optimize" (Ctrl + O should work as well)?

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

I am Baas wrote:Did you right-click the files and choose "Optimize"
Yep. Even tried compressing something with zero compression (using 7zip on "store" setting) and then using FileOptimizer to improve the output without success.

I am Baas

#6 Post by I am Baas »

That's odd. Does it work on your Win 7 machine?

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Update: 2.10 is out -- includes more MS Office optimizations and UI changes
I am Baas wrote:That's odd. Does it work on your Win 7 machine?
Yeah and I'm glad I checked. I guess I didn't really comprehend what a program like this that collects so many different file compression tools together could do.

Some usage notes:
  • It compressed two Office 2010 files (DOCX and PPTX) with 76% and 83% of the original file sizes respectively. Nice.
  • The PNG compression does indeed take a while as Baas points out
    • Results: It was able to compress a 1.8k tiny PNG file to 34% of its original size in about 30 seconds. For a 50k PNG file it took about a minute on a very fast machine and cut 41%. That kind of lossless compression is incredible for web developers who are going to see 100,000 downloads of banners and other files.
    • Comparison - RIOT: a PNG that came out of RIOT (which already uses a pretty high quality PNG optimizer) it pulled another 16% out. That said, RIOT does some things that FileOptimizer can't and ideally they should be used together.
    • How it works - There are 3 PNG optimizers strung together: PngOut, OptiPNG, and PngOptimizer. Frankly a program that combines all three could have a place all it's own on our site. That it works with other compression tools is all the better.
  • The program didn't do much versus Windows-created ZIP files (right click - send to - compressed file), but I only tested a few small files. Larger archives probably see a bigger increase.
Mac/Linux version - no, but author reports multi-operating system compatibility and is actively developing for WINE compatibility.

I was curious about the MS Office optimizer so I dug in a little bit. Document Press v6.01 is based on something the creator of 7-zip did a few years back but has evidently abandoned (couldn't find anything on the 7-zip site about it). That was curious, but I think it's just enabling some internal component of Office that's not being enabled. Office 2011 on Mac for example also compresses Office files dramatically over files created by it's Windows version. Some very casual testing cut almost in half.

Wishlist:
  • Multi-theaded compress multiple files based on available cores (e.g. dual core should compress two files simultaneously). Right now, only one core at a time on one file at a time so for example, when compressing two PowerPoint files, my 4-core system runs ADVZIP.exe on one file at a time, using only about 15% processor. As a (not very good) workaround, you can just run multiple instances of the program and drag two different files or sets of files into windows.

Format support
  • 7-zip support, ability to move other types of compression to 7zip
  • Levels of PNG compression (low, med, high) vs. speed (fast, med, slow). Right now it is very high compression (and very slow).

User Interface
  • Pause button
  • Ability to remove individual files from optimization rather than the only option: "delete all"
  • Ability to keep the "date modified" or the file the same -- right now I keep track of a lot of things on my machine by date and can't compress them without changing that
  • Some way make the compression process transparent. The only thing I could think of was a recursive directory watch that compresses anything you save to a given folder. Maybe something could get rigged with DropIt or something.
  • Split up the Help file into navigable subtopics (if the author visits this forum, I'd be happy to assist with this).
  • (Likely the hardest) Option to estimate how much savings are anticipated and ask if it should still go through with compression.

Metadata
  • Options to optimize, just remove metadata, or both
  • Ability to delete MS Office metadata (although not available by default)
---

Update:

If any sort of compression happens, this program will move the original to the trash can just in case. (Previously the program didn't do this.)

webfork

#8 Post by webfork »

One additional note: supports drag-and-drop capability to drag a file onto the FileOptimizer icon (or it's shortcut). The program will automatically open, compress the file, and the close. I used this all the time with RIOT and very happy to have this functionality here as well.

I am Baas

#9 Post by I am Baas »

FileOptimizer V2.20 was released (2012/11/03:
- Improved PNG and APNG compression ratio upgrading to OptiPNG Hg 20121021.
- Other minor stability and performance improvements.
http://nikkhokkho.sourceforge.net/stati ... eOptimizer

I am Baas

#10 Post by I am Baas »

New version of FileOptimizer was released:
3.00 - 2012/12/30
- Added native Win64 support (FileOptimizer64.exe).
- Added ini option KeepAttributes=false to keep file attributes and timestamp after optimization.
- Added ability to optimize read-only and system files.
- Included 64 bit plugins (Ghostcript, ImageWorsener, jpegoptim, MP3packer, PngOptimizer, zRecompress).
- Win64 portability improvements.
- Upgraded to C++ Builder XE3 Update 1.

2.30 - 2012/12/01
- Improved GIF compression ratio upgrading to gifsicle 1.68.
- Compiled gifsicle with Visual C++ 2012 Update 1 (Windows XP and later compatible).
- Upgraded to zRecompress 2.11 (Windows XP and later compatible).
- Compiled jpegoptim with Visual C++ 2012 Update 1 (Windows XP and later compatible).
- Improved BMP and WEBP compression ratio upgrading to ImageWorsener 1.0.0.
- Added BMP optimization support with ImageWorsener.
- Fixed a null pointer exception in Windows XP and 2003 introduced in 2.00.
- Fixed a bug that allowed to add files with no extension at all.
- Upgraded to C++ Builder XE3 Update 1.
Dl @ http://sourceforge.net/projects/nikkhok ... /3.00.161/

Checker

#11 Post by Checker »

I added FileOptimizer to the database.
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2377 ... please vote :!:

@ I am Baas: Nice find :!:

I am Baas

#12 Post by I am Baas »

Checker wrote:I added FileOptimizer to the database.
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2377 ... please vote :!:

@ I am Baas: Nice find :!:
Voted.

Checker, I ran out of German Thank You words the last time you added one of my submissions so only a simple :wink: and cheers this time around... :)

Checker

#13 Post by Checker »

No problem ... I like a " :wink: ", too :D

koka55

#14 Post by koka55 »

Hello,
See (according wishlist from "webfork" on Apr 12, 2007):
=======================================================================
History
3.00 - 2012/12/30
- Added ini option KeepAttributes=false to keep file attributes and timestamp after optimization.
=======================================================================
Sorry, this option has on my machine no function. (Win XP and jpg files - other file types not tested)
The file modification time will be unconditionally changed whether the ini option true or false set.
Can you check it or tell me what I make wrong? Thanks!
(Sorry for my poor english!)

Midas

#15 Post by Midas »

v4.00.194 released...