ScummVM [gaming console emulator]

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
roland

ScummVM [gaming console emulator]

#1 Post by roland »

[Mod note: old duplicate ScummVM topics merged here and OP subject edited: original was "ScummVM emulator on USB"]

ScummVM can run many of of the older games, like lucas arts games, flight of the amazon queen and Humongous Entertainment games etc.

I was wondering if it anyone has got it working reliably?

http://www.scummvm.org
http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=1635

Roly

M@tty

#2 Post by M@tty »

Well I liked the idea of this, and so created Portable ScummVM.

It's a very simple NSIS script that loads the ScummVM emulator in a portable manner, and saves the settings using relative directories.

You can download it from here: [url]htp://www.sendspace.com/file/luya0o[/url].

If you're interested in emulation then check out the forum I run at www.emulationhq.com.

I have run this through FileMon/RegMon tests and it does not seem to leave a trace behind. If I am mistaken in my tests, then please leave a post back and I may include a John Haller style registry capturing in the program. If you would like to add this to your collection Andrew, I would be more than happy. If not, I don't mind, as this software will be useful to myself anyway.

I have created another version of this software that does not display the black console window, but it requires a script host to be running on the host computer, and thus does not class as portable. Those interested in this build (bare in mind that there is a script host built into all versions of Windows XP by default), feel free to contact me at the forum address above.

M@tty

Portable ScummVM

#3 Post by M@tty »

Portable ScummVM V1.51. I know this isn't already in the database, because I wrote it myself. :)

Category: Others / Emulators

Synopsis: ScummVM is a program which allows you to run certain classic graphical point-and-click adventure games, provided you already have their data files. Portable ScummVM is a portable wrapper that loads the ScummVM emulator in a portable manner, and saves the settings using relative directories.

Writes settings to: Application folder

Dependencies: None

ScummVM itself requires SDL.dll, but that is included. I don't think Portable ScummVM depends on anything.

How to extract: Download the zip file from http://mihd.net/9p6y73 and extract to a folder of your choice. Launch the program by double-clicking PScummVM.exe.

Stealth: Yes

I have run this through FileMon/RegMon tests and it does not seem to leave a trace behind. If I am mistaken in my tests, then please leave a post back and I may include a John Haller style registry capturing in the program.

Path portability: Automatic relative path

If I am understanding the meaning of path portability correctly, then it automatically saves a relative path. When you search for a new game, the path to that game is saved relative to the location of Portable ScummVM.

Unicode Support: No

Not sure how to test this actually, it may do it may not, so I'm saying no for now. :?

License: Freeware/Open Source

System Requirements: Win95 / Win98 / WinME / WinNT / Win2K / WinXP

I am making an assumption here. I only have a Windows XP machine to test on, but I have run the program under compatibility mode for all of the other operating systems and it runs the same as before. I don't know about Vista support but I don't see why not.

I think that about sums it up. This program was originally created because of a request in the troubleshooting section of this forum, but I have seen it requested on several portable application forums. Hope you like it!

Here are some links to free, compatible games:

Beneath a Steel Sky: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/scum ... p?download
Flight of the Amazon Queen: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/scum ... p?download

If you refer to http://www.scummvm.org/compatibility.php and search http://www.abandonia.com, you can pick up most of the games legally and for free.

sproaticus

#4 Post by sproaticus »

Link doesn't work.

In general, when you want to offer a file for download that is going to be around for longer than a week, it's not a good idea to use a free file hosting service. In addition to that, there've been far too many viruses and trojans hosted by free file hosting services that many simply will not trust them.

ScummVM is open source - why not create a project on sourceforge or berlios to host this fork?

sproaticus

Re: Portable ScummVM

#5 Post by sproaticus »

M@tty wrote:System Requirements: Win95 / Win98 / WinME / WinNT / Win2K / WinXP

I am making an assumption here. I only have a Windows XP machine to test on, but I have run the program under compatibility mode for all of the other operating systems and it runs the same as before. I don't know about Vista support but I don't see why not.
Also, I note here that you are basically vocalizing through your hindquarters.

If you haven't tested for compatibility using the actual operating systems, then you can't honestly say it's compatible. Particularly with Win95/98/NT, and to a smaller extent WinME, compatibility mode alone doesn't guarantee compatibility.

M@tty

#6 Post by M@tty »

sproaticus wrote:Link doesn't work.
I checked the download link earlier today from at work, but that was before you posted. I checked again just now from home and it still seems to work for me. Can anyone else confirm that the link isn't working? If so, I'll look for another place to host it, but the reason I chose MiHD is because the file life is unlimited, regardless of the number of downloads, so although it is a free server it seems a pretty decent one. :)

Only reason I didn't set up a SourceForge project is because it isn't a modification of the program code, just an NSIS wrapper and tweaked config file. Guess I didn't think it was worth bothering. *Shrugs*
sproaticus wrote:If you haven't tested for compatibility using the actual operating systems, then you can't honestly say it's compatible. Particularly with Win95/98/NT, and to a smaller extent WinME, compatibility mode alone doesn't guarantee compatibility.
Yes this is a fair point, and something I considered, but:
The ScummVM FAQ wrote:On what platform does ScummVM run?

Currently tested platforms include Win32 (Windows 95/98/ME/NT/2000/XP), Linux i386 and PPC, BeOS, Solaris, Mac OS X, Dreamcast, MorphOS, IRIX, PalmOS, WinCE, GP32, Sony PSP and PS2.
Essentially Portable ScummVM is just an NSIS wrapper for ScummVM to redirect the config to the Program directory and save paths relatively.

Torpark is an NSIS wrapper doing a lot more complicated things than my program, and according to http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=582 runs on Win95 / Win98 / WinME / WinNT / Win2K / WinXP.

So, for now, I shall leave the claim that it works on all those operating systems as it stands. If anyone tests the program using those OS's, and finds it doesn't work, I would love to hear from you so I can try to rectify whatever the problem is.

Admittedly though, neither ScummVM nor Portable ScummVM have been officially tested on Vista. I have Vista machines accessible to me though, so I will test it and hopefully get back with an answer.

I have made some small updates to the program today, so maybe I will post an update link soon. All comments appreciated! :)

M@tty

#7 Post by M@tty »

Over 400 thread views and no feedback? :(

Well if anyone is interested the newest version can be downloaded from: http://www.emuhq.com/idx/195/4126/artic ... -1601.html

Download link is on the right, and no, this isn't a public server.

EDIT: Don't know what Hawq did when he uploaded it, but the file is GZIP compressed not ZIP as the extension implies. If you try to open the file using XP Compressed folders it will claim it is corrupt, so extract it using Universal Extractor. Extracting it will give you a file called Content (with no extension) which, if renamed to PScummVM.zip, is the original file I sent him.

Sorry for the hassle. :oops:

M@tty

#8 Post by M@tty »

Over 1400 thread views now, and still no feedback? Bah! :x

Another new version. Completely rewrote it again. There were two unreleased versions prior to this version. Have a look at the source if you're interested - it's in the "Other" folder. The whole code is cleaner and more concise.

Current version is 1.8.0.1: http://mihd.net/95enbs

Change Log:

03rd August 2007 - Version 1.8.0.1
~ New version of ScummVM
~ Restructured using App + Data directory split
~ Source folder renamed to "Other"
~ Entire program rewrite - cleaner code
~ Moved config to "Data" folder and renamed to "Settings.ini"

26th July 2007 - Version 1.7.0.3
~ Changed web link in "Source" folder
~ Renamed Icon file in "Source" folder

20th July 2007 - Version 1.7.0.2
~ Small change to config handling
~ Change to Readme structure

24th May 2007 - Version 1.7.0.1
~ Entire program rewrite
~ Better error handling
~ Greater file existence checking
~ Merged theme into one zip file
~ Updated Readme
~ Included link to download ScummVM Source in "Source" folder

21st May 2007 - Version 1.6.0.1
~ Small change to directory structure

19th May 2007 - Version 1.6.0.0
~ Small update to change the path to ScummVM from 'App' to 'ScummVM'
~ Added a 'Saves' folder
~ Added version information to executable and had to change version number accordingly

18th May 2007 - Version 1.51
~ Hides the Debugging console
~ Files restructured, now follows DOS 8.3 compatibility
~ ScummVM.exe and SDL.dll UPX Compressed
~ Updated the Readme to include this change log

02nd May 2007 - Version 1.00
~ Initial test release

lwc

#9 Post by lwc »

By now ScummVM itself is portable (due to a lot of persistence by yours truly) via usage of command line parameters.
You just:
  1. Download their ZIP version.
  2. Create a subfolder with a name like conf.
  3. Launch the main EXE file only like this: -c "conf\scummvm.ini" -l "conf\scummvm.log" - it supports relative folders, that's why conf\ alone is enough.
  4. It still creates in vain a blank folder %appdata%\ScummVM\Saved games (see bug report).
I suggest you include it in the database just like DOSBox which is far less portable (your instructions basically hack it to become portable).

lwc

Re: ScummVM [gaming console emulator]

#10 Post by lwc »

Brand new update: after years of persuasion their new version is finally Stealth:
ScummVM 2.6.0 Release Notes wrote:Windows port:
Added "Portable Mode" in which the executable's directory is used to store application files if a scummvm.ini file is present, instead of the user's profile directory.
I suggest you include it in the database just like DOSBox which is only portable via your suggested hacks.