Open Hardware Monitor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
filobus

Open Hardware Monitor

#1 Post by filobus »

Open Hardware Monitor

"The Open Hardware Monitor is a free open source software that monitors temperature sensors, fan speeds, voltages, load and clock speeds of a computer."

"...runs on 32-bit and 64-bit Microsoft Windows XP / Vista / 7 and any x86 based Linux operating systems without installation"

license: Mozilla Public License 2.0 (MPL)

joby_toss

Re: Open Hardware Monitor

#2 Post by joby_toss »

...The free Open Hardware Monitor software runs on Microsoft Windows with the .NET Framework version 2.0 and above. On Linux systems the Open Hardware Monitor requires Mono with WinForms.
To install just unpack the zip archive and run OpenHardwareMonitor.exe with Administrator rights. Without Administrator rights most hardware sensors are not accessible. The application is still in Beta status, so use it at your own risk. ...

webfork

#3 Post by webfork »

It couldn't see the temperatures for my Intel Motherboard, Core 2 Duo machine, but I do like the web interface. Back when I was running a Windows server, this would have been very nice.

I am Baas

#4 Post by I am Baas »

filobus wrote:Open Hardware Monitor
Just wanted to claim my finder's fee :mrgreen:

webfork

#5 Post by webfork »

I left this open for a few hours while running my machine and really liked the‭ ‬breakdown‭ ‬on‭ ‬disk‭ ‬memory,‭ ‬CPU,‭ ‬temperature,‭ ‬and RAM.‭ ‬Really gave me a breakdown on system behavior.‭ ‬Obviously the open license is also very welcome.

Wishlist:‭
  • Less RAM.‭ ‬Takes up‭ ‬23‭ ‬megs that grew to‭ ‬26‭ ‬megs of ram,‭ ‬which seems high for a simple monitoring program.
  • More detailed history beyond just min/max/current.‭ ‬For example,‭ ‬a‭ ‬graph/histogram of some kind.

I am Baas

#6 Post by I am Baas »

Version 0.6.0 Beta released (July 14, 2013)

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/news/rel ... -6-0-beta/

__philippe

#7 Post by __philippe »

Just downloaded and tried OpenHardwareMonitor under winXP.

zip package includes following binaries:

- Aga.Controls.dll (149k)
- OxyPlot.dll (373k)
- OpenHardWareMonitorLib.dll (260k)
- OpenHardwareMonitor.exe (487k)

Besides Kaspersky reporting "suspicious *.dll driver installation", seems to be running fine, no registry entries created except for the usual \OpenSaveMRU| and \recentDocs entries.

However, for my Intel Mobile Dual Core Duo T5250 processor,
OHW reports core temperature readings conflicting with results from two other well established HW monitoring tools:

SIW portable 46ºC 48ºC
MobileMeter 47ºC 47ºC
OpenHWmon 57ºC 58ºC

OHW temperature readings at >20% variance compared to SIW and MM feels a bit rich for my taste;
guess I'll stick with tiny (42k), self-contained MobileMeter for the time being.

__philippe

__philippe

#8 Post by __philippe »

webfork wrote:Wishlist:‭
  • Less RAM.‭ ‬Takes up‭ ‬23‭ ‬megs that grew to‭ ‬26‭ ‬megs of ram,‭ ‬which seems high for a simple monitoring program.
  • More detailed history beyond just min/max/current.‭ ‬For example,‭ ‬a‭ ‬graph/histogram of some kind.
#1 - Flagrant case of bloated systems resources usage...
#2 - Histogram is there allright, (tick "Show Plot" in the View tab), but watch for the above post caveat about cores Temperature reporting...:-(

__philippe

__philippe

#9 Post by __philippe »

Ran further dual core temperature tests, this time adding "CoreTemp" monitoring tool to the comparative results:

CoreTemp.........[01-APR-2013 V10.RC5].........51ºC 51ºC
SIW portable......[17-MAY-2012 V2011.10.291]...52ºC 53ºC
MobileMeter.......[16-FEB-2004 V0.1.3.0].........50ºC 51ºC
OpenHWmon......[14-JUL-2013 V0.6.0 beta]......60ºC 61ºC

OpenHWmon Temperature probes figures now at >18% variance against average results from the other three tools;

Still a sizable (and questionable) 10º C reported Temperature difference ...Beta version indeed...:-(

Anyway, considering each tool constituent binaries (*.exe + *.dll) weight/performance ratio,
I'll put up with lean MobileMeter thermometer anytime...;-)

__philippe
Attachments
MobileMeter_2013-07-16_13-15-03.png
MobileMeter_2013-07-16_13-15-03.png (3.54 KiB) Viewed 42536 times

Midas

#10 Post by Midas »

Quick note to post 3rd party reviews of OHM:

Midas

#11 Post by Midas »

OHM v0.9.5 already up (changelog at openhardwaremonitor.org/news/release-version-0-9-5/).

billon

#12 Post by billon »

Release Version 0.9.6
  • Added AMD family 19h (Zen 3) CPU support.

lwc

#13 Post by lwc »

After all this debate, it seems it wasn't even added as a private entry, so here you go if you want to vote on it.

Andrew Lee

#14 Post by Andrew Lee »

Voted. Thanks!
lwc wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:16 pm After all this debate, it seems it wasn't even added as a private entry, so here you go if you want to vote on it.
There are hundreds of programs that live on in the forums that never made it to the database.. I myself have tons of them bookmarked, just waiting for some motivation to evaluate and add to the database.

I am guessing this one never made it because back in the day, dotNET dependence is a negative, and there are other programs that do more or less the same thing without that dependence. That altitude against dotNET does not seem to be as strong now, since there are bigger abominations such as Electron :D

lwc

#15 Post by lwc »

Andrew Lee wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:36 pm Voted. Thanks!
Will others consider voting for it too? It's no different than other programs in its categories.

Update: its listing went public, thanks!