Universal Extractor Update (Gora version)

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
I am Baas

Re: Universal Extractor Update

#31 Post by I am Baas »

loin2kolpotoru wrote:and the original version dosn't work properly anymore so i have no option but to use this version as long as it is working properly.
I use UE (the original version) regularly and can say that it works perfectly. The key is to keep "bin" folder content up to date.
loin2kolpotoru wrote:i have no option but to use this version
Lame excuses... by downloading and using a copy of UE software that is in violation of the GPL you are effectively giving "gora" a nod of approval / supporting his work.

Midas

#32 Post by Midas »

Since the debate is verging on free/open source software philosophy, I reckon the time is right for the introduction of a couple of 'apropos' references:
In accordance and abiding to the spirit, if not the letter, of the law, it seems desirable, IMHO, that protective limitations don't prevail over the object of protection... :|

On more practical ground, it's arguable that US norms apply unaltered to the Russian Federation -- the land of 'gora' to the best of our knowledge...

webfork

#33 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:In accordance and abiding to the spirit, if not the letter, of the law, it seems desirable, IMHO, that protective limitations don't prevail over the object of protection... :|
Might want to spell that one out for me.
Midas wrote:On more practical ground, it's arguable that US norms apply unaltered to the Russian Federation -- the land of 'gora' to the best of our knowledge...
Same on that one.
loin2kolpotoru wrote:i hope someone from this fourm who is supporter of GPL will take the developement of the original UE in his hand and release updates atleast once in 3 months.
Well said. Since a good chunk of our site is dedicated to that tool, it makes sense but unfortunately that's well above my skill level.

Midas

#34 Post by Midas »

webfork wrote:
Midas wrote:In accordance and abiding to the spirit, if not the letter, of the law, it seems desirable, IMHO, that protective limitations don't prevail over the object of protection... :|
Might want to spell that one out for me.
Midas wrote:On more practical ground, it's arguable that US norms apply unaltered to the Russian Federation -- the land of 'gora' to the best of our knowledge...
Same on that one.
Sorry, had too much on my plate for a moment here...

The protection of free speech can be made to stifle free speech. More to the point, in the current case, we have an extremely update dependent piece of code that hasn't been updated by its creator in a long while, to the point that it rightfully qualifies as abandonware in my view. There's another person that is providing the required updates, trampling on a few well regarded procedures and norms. There's a situation where the good of the many trumps the (un-reasserted) rights of one, if you ask me...

On the second point, as much as it pains me to declare this, there are no universal laws and thus the laws of any country don't automatically apply in another (legislative legitimacy always derives directly from the will of a defined constituency), no matter how many international treaties pretend otherwise...

SYSTEM

#35 Post by SYSTEM »

Midas wrote: More to the point, in the current case, we have an extremely update dependent piece of code that hasn't been updated by its creator in a long while, to the point that it rightfully qualifies as abandonware in my view. There's another person that is providing the required updates, trampling on a few well regarded procedures and norms. There's a situation where the good of the many trumps the (un-reasserted) rights of one, if you ask me...
Agreed. While I don't like that Gora violates the GPL, the fact that he updates Universal Extractor and distributes his updated version for free is a good thing.
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

webfork

#36 Post by webfork »

Midas wrote:There's a situation where the good of the many trumps the (un-reasserted) rights of one, if you ask me...
Certainly: my issue is with site policy rather than telling you what programs to run or not run on your computer. The truth is I might use the closed version if I was really stuck needed a program to function portably.
SYSTEM wrote:the fact that he updates Universal Extractor and distributes his updated version for free is a good thing.
Universal Extractor is a very important program and the site definitely relies on it to make a variety of programs portable. However, in the long run, I don't think entries shouldn't use the better, closed version (except in forums).

Let's say we go ahead and switch over to this new version and update the Universal Extractor entry. Next, we use it to extract new programs as well as updated programs and gradually (let's say 1-2 years) get quite a few entries get edited to use the new Extractor. Finally, the developer does one of the following:
  • Decides he wants to make money from his work and adds adware/spyware
  • Is a giving person but runs into financial dire straights and is forced to add adware/spyware
  • Gets bored, moves on to other projects [edit: this is what evidently happened]
All three of these happen here on the site from time to time and it's unfortunate, but this time it would be a real problem: in the first two cases, we'd have to add a disclaimer to each entry stating that if you want to extract it, you have to use a crapware program or, at best, describe some additional process to get around the included crapware. In the third, we're back where we started but with no recourse; some programs just won't extract anymore.

As it stands, we're unable to add entries that use new install packagers but I think eventually someone will take over the project if there's enough need or encouragement. It's not great in the short term but I think it's better overall.

Midas

#37 Post by Midas »

I see; thorny issue, indeed... I'll defer to your better discretion, master webfork. 8)

guinness

#38 Post by guinness »

I thought about taking over UE, but with no source code I'm powerless to do anything.

I am Baas

#39 Post by I am Baas »

guinness wrote:I thought about taking over UE, but with no source code I'm powerless to do anything.
UniExtract Source Code
Universal Extractor Download Archive (archived versions of all official binary and source code releases).

http://www.legroom.net/software/uniextract

guinness

#40 Post by guinness »

I know that, but I made it clear a couple of posts back as to why I won't revert to old source code.

Mike.S.G.

#41 Post by Mike.S.G. »

Maybe the time is prime for a new extractor, a TPFC derivative, paying homage to the originator of UE, maybe a shout-out to gora???, but new, fully open and available - specifically for the TPFC crowd - users and coders alike.

PFE: Portable Freeware Extractor

The functionality is already spelled out, no yanking hair out over a vague concept. The some-what useful source code, and observation of the tool at work, this would seem a pretty straight-forward and necessary project for an important tool central (in many instances) to this forum's stated purpose.

guinness

#42 Post by guinness »

From that post Mike.S.G., it tells me you aren't a programmer. Am I right?

Midas

#43 Post by Midas »

What I gather about gora from the links Userfriendly posted here (http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 733#p60733), leads me not to predict great resistance to supplying access to source code. The real problem I foresee is that his interests lie mostly on the 'russification' of selected freeware -- check his software page at http://gora.7zsfx.info/addons/, where his email address is also available...

webfork

#44 Post by webfork »

I looked over the thread and actually nobody's ASKED for the source code there yet, so who knows?
http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/9785 ... mod/page-2
Midas wrote:... leads me not to predict great resistance to supplying access to source code. The real problem I foresee is that his interests lie mostly on the 'russification' of selected freeware
Yeah, that's very odd when, on his homepage (translated) ... that lists his 7-zip post (translated), which makes no sense when 7-zip has already been translated: http://7-zip.org.ua/ru/

What the hell?
Last edited by webfork on Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: (introduced sane formatting)

Userfriendly

#45 Post by Userfriendly »

webfork wrote: Yeah, that's very odd when, on his homepage (translated) ... that lists his 7-zip post (translated), which makes no sense when 7-zip has already been translated: http://7-zip.org.ua/ru/

What the hell?
Looks like its just a repack/silent installer used for integrating into unnattended windows xp installs or livecd's. The subforum of that thread is dedicated for that stuff. Just look:
http://www.msfn.org/board/forum/101-una ... n-support/
http://translate.googleusercontent.com/ ... SHW8hiM71w

Trying to find something fishy about gora?