Pocket Radio Player

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
joby_toss

Re: Pocket Radio Player

#76 Post by joby_toss »

Just found out about this app with identical name: http://pocketsolution.net/gratis.html :o

Grisu

#77 Post by Grisu »

Thanks for the finding. My player is older than this. Requires: Windows Media Player and MS Framework 4. That's a no-go. :D

It took some time but #160508 (David vs Goliath) is finally available. Radio stations can now be encoded on-the-fly. Supported formats: WAV (uncompressed), OGG (default), MP3 (optional, external "libmp3lame.dll" required). You can change the settings via the options window. Also recording of larger files (i.e. > 2 GB is possible). Please report, if you have any issues. Have fun!

SYSTEM

#78 Post by SYSTEM »

Grisu wrote: It took some time but #160508 (David vs Goliath) is finally available. Radio stations can now be encoded on-the-fly. Supported formats: WAV (uncompressed), OGG (default), MP3 (optional, external "libmp3lame.dll" required). You can change the settings via the options window. Also recording of larger files (i.e. > 2 GB is possible). Please report, if you have any issues. Have fun!
Thank you. Entry updated. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Midas

#79 Post by Midas »

Great work, Grisu. Thanks. 8)

A couple of niggles I found while testing the latest release:

- I only noticed the recording features now, but the option between WAV, OGG and MP3 formats is puzzling me; can't PRP just save the stream without re-encoding?
- When online connection is lost, PRP gets stuck in a loop for a while until giving up -- wouldn't it be better to cut right away until recovery is possible?
- And, unless, PRP is minimized, there's even a possibility to access the program menu (ALT key just freezes the oscilloscope animation)?
- Moreover, is it no longer possible to have station list and main interface open at same time?
- When changing window size in one mode, it now affects all forms displayed -- main, station list, and options; I find the main display at least should remain independent...

Lastly, this might be entirely subjective, but sound quality seems to me a tad inferior to Bass based players -- though, as I have Viper4Windows installed, this might be an unforeseen result of processing interference...

Grisu

#80 Post by Grisu »

I only noticed the recording features now, but the option between WAV, OGG and MP3 formats is puzzling me; can't PRP just save the stream without re-encoding?
I'm not a hardware guru, but I think the streams come with other informations, so you can't just dump all into a single file and play it back on normal media players. The Fmod library only supports WAV writing. So the PRP changes extend the functionality.
When online connection is lost, PRP gets stuck in a loop for a while until giving up -- wouldn't it be better to cut right away until recovery is possible?
PRP automatically reconncets after ~5 seconds of buffer underruns. I do this because in some cases if your internet connection is broken or the streaming server has a high load, the stream might catch up later. Also I can't tell without trying, if / when a recovery is possible.
And, unless, PRP is minimized, there's even a possibility to access the program menu (ALT key just freezes the oscilloscope animation)?
Sorry, I think I don't understand what you're trying to do. You can switch to the options / list etc. while a stream is playing.
- And, unless, PRP is minimized, there's even a possibility to access the program menu (ALT key just freezes the oscilloscope animation)?
- Moreover, is it no longer possible to have station list and main interface open at same time?
- When changing window size in one mode, it now affects all forms displayed -- main, station list, and options; I find the main display at least should remain independent...
PRP has always been a single window compact app. I dislike apps that open windows all over the place with no real benefit. Also it is much harder to code / design a compact app than a clustered one. - You can still open multiple instances of PRP, but that's not 100% what you want.
I could create an sub window just with the station logo and song title e.g., so when you change the window height of the main app, it won't change the "rest". If that's, what you're suggesting.
Lastly, this might be entirely subjective, but sound quality seems to me a tad inferior to Bass based players..
Haven't noticed that. I would assume that the sound quality highly depends on the stream quality and your speaker / soundcard setup.

Napiophelios

#81 Post by Napiophelios »

With great reluctance I decided to let go of Build 151230 (Sweet Memories)
and upgrade to the latest Build (David and Goliath).

I thought I could just use my old ini file, but when I opened the player it reset all my options to defaults.
Is there anyway to have PRP detect and just update the Release/Build info instead of resetting the options?

I mean if I just manually edit these feilds in the ini file everything goes accordingly
without any reset to default options.

Grisu

#82 Post by Grisu »

Napiophelios wrote: I thought I could just use my old ini file, but when I opened the player it reset all my options to defaults.
Is there anyway to have PRP detect and just update the Release/Build info instead of resetting the options?

I mean if I just manually edit these feilds in the ini file everything goes accordingly
without any reset to default options.
The ini file has changed a lot over the last years. Settings were added and removed as well. So the reset is only a safety measure to prevent a version mismatch as PRP doesn't keep track of the changes. To prevent this I would need to load the whole ini file into memory and check it for "keywords" in oder to transfer the older user settings to a newer version.

I'll look into the changes needed. But no promises. :) - One downside is that PRP will start up a bit slower, but I doubt users would notice that on a modern PC.

Btw: Were the ini settings the reason why you didn't switch to a newer version earlier?

Napiophelios

#83 Post by Napiophelios »

Grisu wrote: Btw: Were the ini settings the reason why you didn't switch to a newer version earlier?
No. I just like the Build name :mrgreen:

Grisu

#84 Post by Grisu »

Napiophelios wrote:No. I just like the Build name :mrgreen:
Ah, I see. I uploaded a new version #160529. From now on you should be able to use your old settings.

And btw, the build name is: Because Of You! :mrgreen:

SYSTEM

#85 Post by SYSTEM »

Grisu wrote:
Napiophelios wrote:No. I just like the Build name :mrgreen:
Ah, I see. I uploaded a new version #160529. From now on you should be able to use your old settings.

I updated the entry. :)
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

Napiophelios

#86 Post by Napiophelios »

Grisu wrote:

Works like a charm.
It is slow on first run between upgrades
but there after its as fast as ever.
Thanks, Grisu!

Grisu

#87 Post by Grisu »

Napiophelios wrote: Works like a charm.
It is slow on first run between upgrades
but there after its as fast as ever.
Thanks, Grisu!
PRP is creating an index file of all stations, you currently use on the first start. This is due the modular design. With 2.000+ zipped files to check, this may take some seconds. So no need to worry.

joby_toss

#88 Post by joby_toss »

Hi! I have a radio link that works in many players, but I can't get it to work in PRP (I did create other stations without any issue). Any idea why it's not working? Thank's!

Code: Select all

http://80.86.106.143:9128/kissfm.mp3
Edit: never mind, I understand now... AAC format is unsupported by FMOD... bummer...

Grisu

#89 Post by Grisu »

Yes, AAC isn't supported. Back in 2008 the world was free of this format. It costs around 15-20$ "per unit" to license the playback codec, when I last check. As I want PRP to stay Freeware, there's currently no alternative. Also I don't want to help big companies to enslave more people.

Which "Kiss Radio" exactly are we talking about? Could you be more specifc?

P.S.: A newer version of my little player should be up later today. :roll: |edit| It's available now! :mrgreen:

joby_toss

#90 Post by joby_toss »

It's the Romanian one, http://www.kissfm.ro .

P.S. could you put a link to PRP website in your signature, please? Thank's!