IrfanView - image viewer and converter

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
webfork

Re: IrfanView - image viewer and converter

#16 Post by webfork »

starshakur wrote:There's a dot missing in the 32-bit downloadlink before "zip", otherwise it leads to 404 after you "Click again to start Download".
Good catch, thanks :) And welcome to the forums.

starshakur

#17 Post by starshakur »

Tested both, 32 and 64 bit IrfanView 4.44 and can't find HKCR\IrfanView, neither with builtin regedit nor Registry Finder. Windows 10 64-Bit.

Is this Info outdated or limited to older Windows versions?

__philippe

#18 Post by __philippe »

@starshakur

NirSoft's RegScanner HKCU/HKLM/HKCR scan outcome, time-stamp ordered, for current "irfanview" (v4.44 - under XP).
(Last seven older keys "Modified Time" date back to year 2012 former versions installs)

Code: Select all

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RecentDocs\.rtf
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\OpenSaveMRU\*
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\MUICache
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RecentDocs
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ComDlg32\OpenSaveMRU\rtf
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Streams\Desktop
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\ShellNoRoam\BagMRU\0\1\11
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MenuOrder\Favorites\Links\GFx
HKCU\Software\I.C.NET Software GmbH\FUNLTDIV
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\IrfanView
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\IrfanView\shell\open\command
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\i_view32.exe\shell\open\command	
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\IrfanView	

HKCR\Applications\i_view32.exe\shell\open\command
HKCR\IrfanView\shell\open\command
HKCR\IrfanView

siegfried

#19 Post by siegfried »

Windows 8.1 pro 64 (standard account).

1- Downloaded iview444_x64.zip
2- System's snapshot 1
3- Launched i_view64.exe.
4- System's snapshot 2
5- Comparison between 1 and 2: no irfanview traces. My registry/sys folders are clean. I also searched the word "irfanview" in the registry with regedit (no "Match whole string only" selected) and couldn't find any match.

Bye

siegfried

#20 Post by siegfried »

The same with IrfanView 4.50: It's stealth

billon

#21 Post by billon »

May be on x64 and 8+, but on XP:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\IrfanView
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Applications\i_view32.exe
and only after fist run:

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\IrfanView

__philippe

#22 Post by __philippe »

Confirmed, see above...;-)

giulia

#23 Post by giulia »

hi
i have update and i found out to have lots of keys ,but the date was the last year
is there a program to removed them?
some utility like open with (nirsoftware)
the list is very long :(
thanks

zorro

#24 Post by zorro »

Hello giulia!
These entries seem to come from file associations you made with IrfanView way back. They're not removed by the unistaller (I suppose).
What Win-Version do you use? Are you sure, you did not associate IrfanView with image files?
If you don't want associations with IrfanView:
If 8 or higher: open up IrfanView first, then check the options and untick all file associations (on Win8 they don't work anyway).
Then brew yourself a good cup of espresso and fire up regedit - type in the search "irfanview", find every entry and delete them all. For values within keys look at the key itself - often the whole key can be deleted, because there's only the IrfanView-entry in it. If you want to be bulletproof, start another scan with "iview.exe" as search-string. The whole procedure should be finished before your espresso is empty.
You can use RegScanner from nirsoft to find all entries at once - but if you delete them at once from within the program, some useless keys are left behind, because RegScanner deletes only the IrfanView-related values.

Perhaps someone else surprizes us with a more comfortable solution. I would appreciate - not for IrfanView, but for some other "piggy" software.

giulia

#25 Post by giulia »

zorro wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:27 am Hello giulia!
These entries seem to come from file associations you made with IrfanView way back. They're not removed by the unistaller (I suppose).
What Win-Version do you use? Are you sure, you did not associate IrfanView with image files?
If you don't want associations with IrfanView:
If 8 or higher: open up IrfanView first, then check the options and untick all file associations (on Win8 they don't work anyway).
Then brew yourself a good cup of espresso and fire up regedit - type in the search "irfanview", find every entry and delete them all. For values within keys look at the key itself - often the whole key can be deleted, because there's only the IrfanView-entry in it. If you want to be bulletproof, start another scan with "iview.exe" as search-string. The whole procedure should be finished before your espresso is empty.
You can use RegScanner from nirsoft to find all entries at once - but if you delete them at once from within the program, some useless keys are left behind, because RegScanner deletes only the IrfanView-related values.

Perhaps someone else surprizes us with a more comfortable solution. I would appreciate - not for IrfanView, but for some other "piggy" software.
hi
i run w10 and i have never associated any files with irfanview , always used as portable version of irfanview
i have installed honeyview 64bit
in short i have to delete manually with regscanner (nirsoft) do you think it's the right tool?
are you sure do they come from association and not with open with?
thanks Zorro

zorro

#26 Post by zorro »

...well - filetypes in HKCR named "IrfanView.*" come from IrfanView itsself.
They are written, when you associate formats with Irfan via the options.
If - on Win8+ - you associate IrfanView via system control center or double-klick on file > "select program to open" > "always open with selected program", then the filetypes in the registry are called "JPG_auto-file" (for example, see screenshot).
irfanview.png
irfanview.png (10.36 KiB) Viewed 37911 times
What often happens to long-time IrfanView-user is that they change the system, but copy over the IrfanView-folder and keep the old INI - on the new system, at first start, IrfanView then writes his commom image formats to HKCR - as your screenshot like "IrfanView.JPG" etc. When you untick the associations in options, these entries remain.

If you want to get rid without fuzzing around, you can first try to backup your IrfanView-folder and then start the "iv_uninstall.exe". Perhaps this removes the entries (and the whole IrfanView-folder, but you have your backup...).
If this doesn't work, the best way is to open regedit, search all IrfanView-entries and delete them manually.

webfork

#27 Post by webfork »

giulia wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:34 am i have update and i found out to have lots of keys ,but the date was the last year
is there a program to removed them?
Registry Commander enables batch destruction of registry keys so you can delete those all in one go (but proceed with caution).

You might also test the PA version of the program to see if it tries to handle registry item cleanup as part of it's startup/shutdown process.
Last edited by webfork on Sun Mar 04, 2018 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Midas

#28 Post by Midas »

Topic update: IrfanView latest release is v4.54 from 2019-12-12 (changelog at https://www.irfanview.com/main_history.htm).

FYI, apparently IrfanView WEBP plugin isn't working for Windows XP users in the latest releases; __philippe has noted a workaround at www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=49#comment30982.

giulia

Re: IrfanView 4.33

#29 Post by giulia »

webfork wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:20 pm IrfanView (setup version) has gone the adware route:

Adding a note to the entry.
Hi
Good find ,seeing I use the portable version
thanks

freakazoid

#30 Post by freakazoid »

I had to losslessly crop a JPEG file just now and found out that Irfanview can do this.

To use, select the portion of the JPEG you want to crop. Then go under Options and select 'JPG Lossless Crop... (Plugin)' and that's it!
is it stealth? ;)