Portable Clipboard Recorder

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
mrsyco

Portable Clipboard Recorder

#1 Post by mrsyco »

Clipboard Recorder 4.0
Clipboard Recorder improves your productivity by extending the functionalities of Windows Clipboard. It works alongside the regular Windows Clipboard and records every piece of data (both text and graphics) that you cut or copy.

* Access to your clipboard history is almost as easy as the built-in Windows Clipboard. Clipboard Recorder provides four easy ways to select the records: Popup Window, Floating Window, Menu Window and the Main Window. You don't need to leave your working application! The selected clipboard records will be pasted to your working application directly just as if you have pressed "Ctrl + V"!
* Supports a variety of formats. Including RTF text, HTML, CSV, Bitmap, Meta file and Embedded Object.
* Supports Transferring clipboard data between computers.
* Works seamlessly with Microsoft Office and other applications.
* Small and Highly optimized. Uses negligible resources.
http://www.lw-works.com/clipboard-recorder
Download:
http://www.lw-works.com/files/recorder/ ... -4.0.3.zip

Writes Settings To: Unknown, I personally don't know how to check (if you can help, PM me)

How to extract: Download the ZIP file and extract to any folder of your choice. Launch the program by double-clicking on clipboard_recorder.exe

Unicode Support: Unknown, searched website, couldn't find it being mentioned anywhere (again, if you can help, please PM me)

License: Freeware (Standard Edition)

System Requirements: Microsoft Windows 98/ME/2000/XP

AlephX

#2 Post by AlephX »

Hi!
Your post is very well made and very informative.

Unfortunately, this application cannot run on my PC. Despite I have the C++ runtimes, the program crashes regularly.

TO test the portability:
AlephX wrote: the simplest tool to use is Regshot (Portable).

Regshot is in the database: http://www.portablefreeware.com/?id=297

and a tutorial (still to finish) is at

http://regshot.pbwiki.com/

Just to remember: for example, the first time I used Regshot I was scared by many entries... BRRRR... then Andrew helped me to focus them: it is important that the settings (options, last position of the app window) are not in the registry; if not, you loose your preferences when you change the PC. The most recent used files, or cryptography keys, are almost always modified by the OS itself, but don´t influence the portability....

JAVA, .NET are not in every machine and thus a .NET requiring app is not portable...
Thanks for posting. I hope someone could test the app!
:)

Erind

#3 Post by Erind »

Regshot 1.7 Comments:
Datetime:2007/4/23 21:13:00 , 2007/4/23 21:14:21
Computer:SUPPORT , SUPPORT
Username:Art , Art

Values modified:4
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\RNG\Seed: blah blah blah
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography\RNG\Seed: blah
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Prefetcher\TracesProcessed: blah
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Prefetcher\TracesProcessed: blah
HKU\S-1-5-21-299502267-57989841-725345543-1005\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections\SavedLegacySettings: blah blah blah
HKU\S-1-5-21-299502267-57989841-725345543-1005\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections\SavedLegacySettings: blah blah blah
HKU\S-1-5-21-299502267-57989841-725345543-1005\SessionInformation\ProgramCount: blah
HKU\S-1-5-21-299502267-57989841-725345543-1005\SessionInformation\ProgramCount: blah

Files added:2
C:\Documents and Settings\Art\Desktop\clipboard_recorder_portable\cbrecorder.cfg
C:\Documents and Settings\Art\Desktop\clipboard_recorder_portable\cbrecord_history

Files [attributes?] modified:9
C:\Windows\system32\config\software.LOG
<Insert Various IE and Thunderbird changes here>

Total changes:15
Bug reports to:regshot.yeah.net
Looks clean to me!

mrsyco

#4 Post by mrsyco »

Alphex, thanks for your help, i don't understand why it crashes on your computer, maybe its just not a stable version at the minute?? This post has had 180+ veiws, so aside from the posters so far, someone else must have tested it...

Andrew Lee

#5 Post by Andrew Lee »

C:\Documents and Settings\Art\Desktop\clipboard_recorder_portable\cbrecorder.cfg
C:\Documents and Settings\Art\Desktop\clipboard_recorder_portable\cbrecord_history
Erind, looks like it writes settings to the user profile folder, doesn't it?

usdcs

#6 Post by usdcs »

Andrew Lee wrote:Erind, looks like it writes settings to the user profile folder, doesn't it?
That's what I thought. Until I saw that the files were on his Desktop. I suspect that he extracted the program to his Desktop prior to testing...

Erind

#7 Post by Erind »

Yep, just extracted to my desktop. Those files were created within the extracted directory once the program exited. I changed a few settings inside just to make sure.

AlephX

#8 Post by AlephX »

Yes... the Desktop Folder belongs to the User folder...

usdcs

#9 Post by usdcs »

Yes, but ...

It only created the files under the User folder because Erind chose that folder for extraction. Had he extracted it somewhere else, the files would have been created there.

brewabel

#10 Post by brewabel »

I played around with this for a little while. It's a nice program, but would find it a lot more handy if I didn't have to hold down the win key to keep the window up.

Think I'll stick with ClipGuru for now till something better comes along :)

AlephX

#11 Post by AlephX »

usdcs wrote:Yes, but ...

It only created the files under the User folder because Erind chose that folder for extraction. Had he extracted it somewhere else, the files would have been created there.
Hey! You got right! :roll:

So... do you think that it has to be added to TPFC? :idea:

mrsyco

#12 Post by mrsyco »

brewabel wrote:I played around with this for a little while. It's a nice program, but would find it a lot more handy if I didn't have to hold down the win key to keep the window up.

Think I'll stick with ClipGuru for now till something better comes along :)
I did try clipguru for a while myself, but I prefer to keep all the stuff out of the way. the main thing i use it for is when im researching for my college work. i just keep copying bits of information i may need and then i paste them all into a word document at a later time instead of using ctrl + c, ctrl + v constantly. theres the function to paste multiple items, and maybe if you are doing what i do but without copying links to other sites and stuff in the meantime, you can use the paste all function.

P.S. you dont need to hold down the win key, there is the floating window available

Andrew Lee

#13 Post by Andrew Lee »

Posted to the database. Thanks!