Famulus - launcher

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
dmg

Re: Famulus

#31 Post by dmg »

I just noticed that Famulus has indeed been added back to the top page. I am mildly, yet pleasantly, confused by this... :shock:

guinness

#32 Post by guinness »

Maybe it's 5 days instead of 7. Then it would make sense.

dmg

#33 Post by dmg »

I think it must be seven days, but seven days from the last time it was sent to the top of the queue rather than seven days from last update. This would seem to fit this situation, as well as make more sense objectively.

dmg

#34 Post by dmg »

Now at version 1.00.3b. I have updated the database.

Version 1.00.2b had over 600 downloads before I replaced it! :shock:

guinness

#35 Post by guinness »

dmg wrote:Now at version 1.00.3b. I have updated the database.

Version 1.00.2b had over 600 downloads before I replaced it! :shock:
Congratulations!

freakazoid

#36 Post by freakazoid »

Just a tiny tidbit:

The ZIP file comes prebundled with settings.ini and commands.dat. If you're already using Famulus, just overwrite the .exe and readme.txt to preserve your custom commands and settings.
is it stealth? ;)

dmg

#37 Post by dmg »

Thank you for that freakazoid. Would you be kind enough to add that to the program comments? :D

Question: should I remove the default .ini and .dat files from the next release? I only include the .dat file for demonstration, and the .ini file is not necessary as Famulus will still use the default settings if the .ini is missing.

lautrepay

#38 Post by lautrepay »

dmg wrote:Question: should I remove the default .ini and .dat files from the next release? I only include the .dat file for demonstration, and the .ini file is not necessary as Famulus will still use the default settings if the .ini is missing.
IMHO, without any doubt. Currently there is a high probability of overwrite the configuration files with the default ones, and sooner or later you will be requested to modify the downloadable package.
My suggestion is simple. When launched, if Famulus does not detect the ini file and/or the dat file in its folder, it will create both or the necessary one automatically. Otherwise it will use the existing ones.

dmg

#39 Post by dmg »

Thanks lautrepay. I have a few other tweaks I want to do, so I will probably have a new version in a few days. :)

dmg

#40 Post by dmg »

I just released version 1.00.4b. Just miner adjustments. I have updated the database.

And I stumbled on this the other day:
http://dottech.org/windows/windows-soft ... -7th-2012/

8)

freakazoid

#41 Post by freakazoid »

freakazoid wrote:Also, I'd like to request the ability to set the font size of the dialog prompt.
I'm using Famulus in the center position and would like it preferably a little larger.
Hey dmg,

Any updates on this? And Happy Holidays! (If you don't see this message before January, then Happy New Year! :) )
is it stealth? ;)

dmg

#42 Post by dmg »

Greetings freakazoid!

Sorry, I have not been doing much active scripting this past year. I still think being able to adjust the prompt size is a good idea, I just have not been working on it. I also know of at least one significant error in the Famulus source code I need to fix. I will get back to actively developing soon, I promise. :D

And happy holidays to everyone here at TPFC!

smaragdus

#43 Post by smaragdus »

I am Baas wrote:Great name and beautiful icon.
I agree, absolutely! A great little launcher! Too bad that Famulus seems to be abandoned. The database entry says:
System Requirements: Win2K / WinXP / Vista / Win7
But Famulus works perfectly under Windows 8.

Edit
Several screens for those who haven't yet had the chance to get acquainted with this tiny treasure of a launcher:

Famulus - tray control:

Famulus - settings:

Famulus - commands:

dmg

#44 Post by dmg »

Greetings smaragdus!

I am not sure Famulus qualifies as abandoned, though it is true I don't have any plans to update it. :D

The description only mentions up to Win 7 mostly because I never tested it on anything beyond that. If you can confirm Famulus works under Win 8 then we can certainly add that to the description.

I am glad you are liking Famulus, and thank you for your feedback. :)

smaragdus

#45 Post by smaragdus »

@dmg

Thanks for your immediate response, it is nice to hear from the developer of my beloved Famulus, at least I know that you are safe and sound! :)

I have tested scores of launchers of any kind and Famulus is among my greatest favourites, so I would like to thank you for your excellent work- please accept my great and sincere thanks for this nifty little tool! ;)

In case that in the future you change your mind and decide to release a new version of Famulus (I really hope that 1.00.5b is not the last version!) I have a tiny fancy feature request- an additional column in "Commands" menu (perhaps next to "Option" column) which shows some statistics- the number of times a program or file has been launched.

Since Famulus is running just great on my Windows 8 x64 machine (it is very light on RAM usage by the way) I updated Famulus database entry adding Windows 8 to the supported Windows versions.

If there are new Betas in the future it will be my pleasure to test them! ;)