Rufus - USB Formatting Utility

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Midas

Re: Rufus - USB Formatting Utility

#61 Post by Midas »

Excellent news. After this, Rufus will definitely be the go to utility for ISO and formatting work. 8)

Akeo

#62 Post by Akeo »

Just going to point out that Rufus 2.0 has now officially been released.
The Rufus homepage now contains a link to the portable version (which is the exact same binary as the standard version, except with a 'p' suffix added).

Enjoy! :wink:

stisev

#63 Post by stisev »

Moderators.. someone.

Please add this to the "How to extract"
The "p" in the rufus executable name makes it portable; otherwise, it writes to reg.
For example:

rufus-2.12p.exe is portable
rufus-2.12.exe is not.

Akeo

#64 Post by Akeo »

I'm sorry but writing the the registry does not equate being portable, so please understand that even the 'p' version also modifies the registry.

As per the definition of a portable application, all the portable version of Rufus does is give you the ability to carry and preserve your settings when moving from one computer to the next. While that means that it does write most of its settings to an ini file, rather than the registry, that doesn't mean that it doesn't write to the registry at all.

stisev

#65 Post by stisev »

Akeo wrote:I'm sorry but writing the the registry does not equate being portable, so please understand that even the 'p' version also modifies the registry.

As per the definition of a portable application, all the portable version of Rufus does is give you the ability to carry and preserve your settings when moving from one computer to the next. While that means that it does write most of its settings to an ini file, rather than the registry, that doesn't mean that it doesn't write to the registry at all.
I just read that entire explanation.

I still don't see any new reg entries even after running the app, playing around with it, checking for updates, etc...

Can anyone else reproduce?

Akeo - I understand portability. There are different definitions. I still think my earlier "p" explanation should be included. It drove me nuts as I kept renaming to rufus.exe and not getting an ini file :(

Akeo

#66 Post by Akeo »

I still don't see any new reg entries even after running the app, playing around with it, checking for updates, etc...
The only registry setting that should be modified with the p version should be the Local Group policies, but if you already run Rufus, you probably won't see any change, as the settings are restored on exit (we basically use Group Policies to disable AutoRun while the app is running, as we expect users to plug drives, and be bothered by the Autorun notices, since we know they plan to format the drive anyway). You would probably see the registry differences if you run Rufus for the first time, and monitor all reg changes.

And yes, you shouldn't the portable version to something that doesn't contain a 'p', as it won't create an ini file by default then. The presence or absence of a 'p' is what is being used to detect whether Rufus should run in portable mode, as the binaries are exactly the same otherwise. If you prefer, you can rename it to rufus_portable.exe, or any name you like that contains a 'p'.

stisev

#67 Post by stisev »

Akeo wrote:
The only registry setting that should be modified with the p version should be the Local Group policies, but if you already run Rufus, you probably won't see any change, as the settings are restored on exit (we basically use Group Policies to disable AutoRun while the app is running, as we expect users to plug drives, and be bothered by the Autorun notices, since we know they plan to format the drive anyway). You would probably see the registry differences if you run Rufus for the first time, and monitor all reg changes.

And yes, you shouldn't the portable version to something that doesn't contain a 'p', as it won't create an ini file by default then. The presence or absence of a 'p' is what is being used to detect whether Rufus should run in portable mode, as the binaries are exactly the same otherwise. If you prefer, you can rename it to rufus_portable.exe, or any name you like that contains a 'p'.
Autorun is disabled on my computer for security reasons by default, so that explains it.

Great app. I am going through and hammering all of the apps that have remaining remnants of registry crap. Down to a select few. :)

Thx again for making this app portable. <3 rufus!

Midas

#68 Post by Midas »

Akeo wrote:If you prefer, you can rename it to rufus_portable.exe, or any name you like that contains a 'p'.

Will a capital 'P' work the same? My personal convention for portabilized software is to add "-P" to their names... :?

Akeo

#69 Post by Akeo »

Either lowercase or uppercase 'p' should work.

Midas

#70 Post by Midas »

Thanks for your input. Much appreciated. 8)

Midas

#71 Post by Midas »

Ghacks.net has a review of the latest version:

Rufus 3.0 released - ISO to bootable USB for Windows

Rufus 3.0 is still super-easy to use; one core difference to previous versions of Rufus is that the new version is no longer compatible with Windows XP or Windows Vista.

Midas

#72 Post by Midas »

Topic update: Rufus v3.8 released 2019-09-16 (changelog at github.com/pbatard/rufus/blob/master/ChangeLog.txt).

rbon

#73 Post by rbon »

Rufus tutorial on YouTube
- title: "Create windows 7_8_8.1_10 bootable USB flash drive with RUFUS 3.1 easily_2018"
- link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7SlsJEVSXc
After download this video as .mp4, You can open it with Avidemux Portable and save selected images with notes very detailled.
"Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to build bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning." - Rick Cook.

Bomenry

#74 Post by Bomenry »

How about ISO to USB?It is best alternative to Rufus for burnning ISO to USB.

webfork

#75 Post by webfork »

Bomenry wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:09 am How about ISO to USB?It is best alternative to Rufus for burnning ISO to USB.
From the website:
Rufus is a utility that helps format and create bootable USB flash drives, such as USB keys/pendrives, memory sticks, etc.

It can be especially useful for cases where:

* you need to create USB installation media from bootable ISOs (Windows, Linux, UEFI, etc.)