Desktop Slider

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
rodrigo2849

Desktop Slider

#1 Post by rodrigo2849 »

Web page: http://rodrigorfc.webs.com/apps.html
Download: http://rodrigorfc.webs.com/file/Desktop ... 0v1.02.zip
Screenshot: http://rodrigorfc.webs.com/file/slider.png
Demonstration Video: http://youtu.be/yhFfZmlgJLo

Description

This program make very easy to work with many opened windows. There is even no need to minimize any window.

One way to see Desktop Slider is that the program makes the desktop or workspace "infinite". And the computer screen is like a camera that show just part of the desktop. You can move the camera by moving the mouse while holding keyboard or mouse buttons. That way you can put your windows side by side and move along them.

Features

Freeware: The program is free for use.
Portable: All configurations are stored in an .ini file in the same folder of the application.
Customizable: Buttons, velocity are configurable.
Snap to border: Windows will snap to screen border if this option is set.

Usage

Left click on the notification icon will move the camera to the selected window, right click will bring the menu.
Last edited by rodrigo2849 on Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

webfork

Re: Desktop Slider

#2 Post by webfork »

> One way to see Desktop Slider is that the program makes the desktop or workspace "infinite". And the computer screen is like a camera that show just part of the desktop. You can move the camera by moving the mouse while holding keyboard or mouse buttons. That way you can put your windows side by side and move along them.

Think this might be something that a little video (or maybe LICEcap) might help demonstrate.

rodrigo2849

#3 Post by rodrigo2849 »

webfork wrote:Think this might be something that a little video (or maybe LICEcap) might help demonstrate.
Thanks for the tip. I added a link to the video.

freakazoid

#4 Post by freakazoid »

Looks neat!
is it stealth? ;)

Checker

#5 Post by Checker »

@ rodrigo2849: Very good idea Image

I added Desktop Slider to the database.
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2233 ... please vote :!:

webfork

#6 Post by webfork »

rodrigo2849 wrote:Thanks for the tip. I added a link to the video.
Very cool -- definitely going to check that out.

webfork

#7 Post by webfork »

Works as advertised, uses 4 megs of RAM.

Unfortunately I have XP SP3 with one of those ball mice, which I think is giving a very different user experience:
  • I can't seem to change direction when I move my mouse the opposite direction. With any mouse movement at all and it just keeps going. Unless I move the mouse *very* slowly, I have to let go of the hot key, press it again, and then move the mouse in the opposite direction to get it to go the other way.
  • If I move my mouse too quickly I lose the window and can't find it again.
  • One thing that might help is some limit on the virtual desktop space. For example, on some old video cards, you could set up a desktop that was larger than the actual screen, but you could also set that size so that it wouldn't. Any chance you could add a virtual resolution selection (e.g. 1600x1200)?
  • When I exit the program, the windows don't snap back to the home screen -- they stay off in some distant land (this happened a lot with my config). I have to right-click and close the window, then restart to get it back in front of me.
  • If you set the hotkey to right-click + hold ctrl:
    • Right after you let go, Windows executes a right-click. So if for example you stop somewhere in an Explorer window this menu.
    • Got an intermittent error: couldn't right-click anything on the task bar, including the program. I had to end task in the Task Manager and then go in and edit the INI file manually. I deleted the config file and retested this without incident.

Ascend4nt

#8 Post by Ascend4nt »

This is a pretty neat tool. It just needs a few tweaks still.. certain windows aren't moved. For example, Windows 7's Calculator, Skype's main window, and 'toolbox' windows like that used in Gimp don't get moved at all.

I'm sure these small issues can be resolved pretty easily.

Btw, any windows with higher integrity levels (say, an installer or Regedit) won't be movable either unless Slider is started as an administrator (Vista+). ChangeWindowMessageFilter/Ex can be used to alter window message behavior, but the process that uses these functions has to be elevated itself.

rodrigo2849

#9 Post by rodrigo2849 »

First of all thanks for all the compliments that makes me feel really happy :)

Webfork, There is indeed a problem with the right click. The next version won’t have that problem. Thanks for pointing it out. And if some windows become lost on that distant land you can right click the Desktop Slider notification icon and choose “show all windows” that should bring all your windows back to the screen. I think that your problem with windows movement is due to performance issues: windows are moving too slow on your computer and can’t keep up with your mouse movement, to confirm that try to move only the notepad window.

Ascend4nt, I made the program only move windows with a maximize button on propose. My Idea was to not move dialog boxes and other notification windows, but as you pointed out, programs with tool boxes should be move entirely with its tool boxes. Next version will move all windows that have the Windows’s border.

tproli

#10 Post by tproli »

I also tried it and I was impressed, not only by what it does but also by the small files size. I played with it about half an hour and though it is useful and handy, currently I don't think I can build it into my daily computing routine. I'm rather accustomed to using mouse gestures (min-max windows) and other 3rd party apps to simplify my life, e.g. touching the right side of the screen with the mouse brings up/hides my file manager, etc. But it is a great stuff indeed.

rodrigo2849

#11 Post by rodrigo2849 »

I finished those modifications that I promised and already upload the new version on the website. I’m going to post the update on the forum now.

Checker

#12 Post by Checker »

Thanks very much ... very good work :!:
I updated the database.

webfork

#13 Post by webfork »

rodrigo2849 wrote:And if some windows become lost on that distant land you can right click the Desktop Slider notification icon and choose “show all windows” that should bring all your windows back to the screen. I think that your problem with windows movement is due to performance issues: windows are moving too slow on your computer and can’t keep up with your mouse movement, to confirm that try to move only the notepad window.
Retested the program today and still having some difficulty on WinXP SP3. The mouse sensitivity is extremely high even at it's lowest setting, I still can't change directions while moving a window - if I start going left after going right, it just keeps going right. The functionality looks nothing like the website's demonstration video, so I'm wondering if this is just me. Also tried to set it to just the X-Axis rather than X and Y, but with the same issues.

I work on a system with 20+ windows open at any given time so anything that could help make this simpler would be very valuable.

Midas

#14 Post by Midas »

Seems to work normally at my end -- just a little weird to be moving windows without moving the desktop background (wallpaper)... It's the only program of the kind that I'm aware of and could prove essential on small screen devices (like my 800x480 UMPC)...

spicydog

#15 Post by spicydog »

@ rodrigo2849

Excellent tool THANKS a bunch!

Going to recommend it to a friend who uses an Eee netbook and curses on regular basis developers who make apps (with un-resizable GUI) which are exceeding the Eee screen size :D

Tested with ONLY positive feedback on XP Pro SP3 32-bit.

If I may suggest 2 minor new features:

1) Offer the possibility to change the "enable_go_to_selected_window" hotkey in case Win+C is taken... Like in my case ;)

2) Add the "Start with Windows" option

Keep up the good work :mrgreen: