CherryTree - hierarchical note taking app

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
Midas

Re: CherryTree - hierarchical note taking app

#31 Post by Midas »

As I seem to be in a ranting mood today, let me add another here, a propos this two-year-old discussion on CherryTree own user forum (formatting added):
http://www.giuspen.com/topic/req-markdown-and-evernote/ wrote:The first issue I’ve found is that the generated output.html format must be parsed to be imported back into CherryTree as acceptable html for rendering.

e.g. markdown generated tag <strong>markdown output</strong> is not recognised by CherryTree and needs to be changed to <b>markdown output</b>
I went there looking for info on markdown compatibility, but got annoyed by the blatant disregard for standards displayed.

If I recall correctly, the first encoding is generally viewed as superior to CherryTree's implementation, from a distinction between mere formal mark up -- "bold this text", a practice denominated "What You See Is What You Get" that usually results in what some experts call "tag soup" -- and a more grounded approach to semantically sound mark up -- "highlight this text", an evolution towards best practices usually summed up as "What You Mean Is What You Get".

Whether it might be argued that, in the end, the results are the same in both cases, making this a matter of no substance, it saddens me deeply witnessing such a step back enforced through code by a respected developer... in a least denominator solution, both forms should be accepted. :(

/RANT

smaragdus

#32 Post by smaragdus »

@Midas
Wouldn't it be better to submit your rant to the developer? There is a CherryTree-dedicated forum and you can contact Giuseppe Penone directly (you can find his e-mail address inside CherryTree (Help-About) and there is also a feedback page. Once I asked for a feature and he was kind to implement it. I do think that we all who use CherryTree may benefit from you rant if you send it to the developer.

Midas

#33 Post by Midas »

Doesn't seem fair, since I don't even use CherryTree at all... but I'll think about it. :?

hamasaki

#34 Post by hamasaki »

I find it's far better to use the native portable version than the Portable Apps version.

1. Portable Apps stores the config in 'AppData\local\cherrytree'. The folder disappears on close.
2. The native portable version uses a 'config.cfg' file in the root, nothing gets added to appData
3. The portable apps version crashes a lot. The native version seems more stable.

I like this and Zim, both similar in appearance, but CherryTree has more formatting options.

webfork

#35 Post by webfork »

hamasaki wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:25 pm I find it's far better to use the native portable version than the Portable Apps version
I've had similar experiences. Notably the Folding@Home client (not natively portable), Notepad++, and CubicExplorer (which are natively portable) just seemed to both work better over time. However, the opposite has also been true, as with Peazip, WinMerge, and FreeFileSync being anywhere from a little to much better from PortableApps. It's one of the reasons I try to cover both areas: sometimes it's good to have options.

hamasaki

#36 Post by hamasaki »

For me I need to avoid using tables in the app. If I add a note with a table, 9 times out of 10, when I click to view the note I just see a spinner and I have to force close. Zim is more reliable for me. I might try the XML saving option instead of the SQLite option and see if that makes any difference.

[Update: Now using xml. Will give it a few days then report back]

hamasaki

#37 Post by hamasaki »

Yep, can confirm that the XML save option is more stable and reliable than SQLite. :)