Bandizip

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
outskirter

Re: Bandizip V1.0.3

#31 Post by outskirter »

lautrepay wrote:
I am Baas wrote:@outskirter: Are you sure that you've got all file associations deselected?
Definitely. In fact, the keys appeared in the registry as soon as I started Bandizip for the first time, before I had even called up the associations dialog, much less opened an archive. When I finally accessed that dialog, none of the file types were checked. They were not actually associated in the registry, either, but the keys for the file type extensions had been created automatically, and as I mentioned, those keys contained no data.

Certainly no harm done, and I actually like Bandizip very much, but if a program is portable, it shouldn't be leaving stuff behind in the registry. I once saw the same kind of behavior in a mobile media player (forgot the name). As soon as I installed it (the conventional way) on my Windows Mobile PDA, my registry magically acquired keys for zillions of media types I'd never even heard of, and I hadn't even opened a single file in the app yet. I didn't like the player, anyway, but when I uninstalled it the keys remained, and I had to clean up the registry manually.

Midas

Re: Bandizip v2.0.5

#32 Post by Midas »

Bandizip has been updated -- currently at version 2.0.5 (changelog @ http://www.bandicam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=767). Sadly, the left panel view issue (reported @ http://www.portablefreeware.com/forums/ ... 395#p49395) is still unsolved... :(

lautrepay

Re: Bandizip V2.0.7

#33 Post by lautrepay »

Bandizip updated - Version: V 2.07 (08/23/2012)

* Detailed information
1. Added Slovenian language by A.B.Prlek SLO
2. Bugs fixed
- Failed to extract password protected .RAR files using solid compression.
- Some filenames were broken in certain OS (Greek, etc.)
- Failed to extract certain split files (avi.001, .mkv.001)

Midas

Re: Bandizip

#34 Post by Midas »

Raymond.cc latest archiver comparative recomends Bandizip as the best freeware alternative: http://www.raymond.cc/blog/best-archive ... and-uharc/

I am Baas

#35 Post by I am Baas »

Bandizip V2.08 is available.

http://www.bandicam.com/bandizip/downloads/

Midas

#36 Post by Midas »

Changelog:
  • 1. Added Romanian language by Mircea Voiculescu
    2. Bugs fixed
http://www.bandicam.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1266

I am Baas

#37 Post by I am Baas »

Bandizip V2.09 released (01/29/2013):
•Added Danish and Kurdish language file
- Many thanks to Mathias and Gorran.Kurd
•Bugs fixed
http://www.bandicam.com/bandizip/downloads/

Ascend4nt

#38 Post by Ascend4nt »

outskirter wrote:Please note that even though Bandizip writes its settings to its own app folder, version 2.01 build 7558 managed to add a whole bunch of compression formats to my registry automatically on first run, without actually associating them, even though I had not used Bandizip's associations option at all. Some of the formats were unfamiliar to me. Their extensions appeared right at the top of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes, and they also appeared under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. A few already existed as Windows file types (.ISO, .CAB, etc.), but most of them were new, and had no data in the subkeys.
I can confirm that the latest version of Bandizip creates a number of Registry keys, even after ensuring the config.ini was set to 'is_portable = 1' and that no Associations in the program were set. Two examples of empty keys created in the paths listed above are .alz and .ipa - you can delete these in Regedit and watch them get recreated when you run Bandizip and go into Options->Settings. With that in mind, if you don't want them created, just don't click Settings! haha

Otherwise there doesn't seem to be any other traces left..

Mixture

Re: Bandizip 2.0.9 build 8142

#39 Post by Mixture »

Maybe your system's Windows registry gets empty keys listed in .alz and .ipa, but not me. Only in the MUICache. Of course, I can only speak for my system and not yours.

webfork

#40 Post by webfork »

Went ahead and added it:

Bandizip
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=2397

I am Baas

#41 Post by I am Baas »

Thank you, webfork. There are a few comments about Bandizip writing to the registry. I will retest for stealthness in a couple of days time.

Midas

#42 Post by Midas »

Doesn't get my vote yet: a major version update (v3.0) and still the panel bug first reported by freakazoid hasn't been corrected -- I'd gladly trade the new image viewer for that, it's the only snag in an otherwise perfect portable archive manager...

freakazoid

#43 Post by freakazoid »

the_watcher wrote:i've created a few context menu entries for portable bandizip using open++.
i've made an entry for each of the following items : Open File, Add to archive...(which opens an archive window to add files/folders), Extract Here, Extract each archive to separate folder and Extract Automatically, which seems to me that it's not working as it should.
(According to their website, 'Extract Automatically' will act as described below:
"If there is only one file/folder in an archive, it will extract to 'Current Folder'.
In other cases, it will create a new folder and extract files to 'Created Folder'."
But in my tests, 'Extract Automatically' always creates a folder and extracts to that folder.)
i copied the entries from my openxx.ini file, that's why the numbering starts from 9.
it should work fine if you correct the numbers in front and edit the application's path.
(The entries with "Type = 1" are separators)
Edit: forgot to add that Open File, Extract Here, Extract each archive to separate folder and Extract Automatically appear only for the following filetypes : zip,rar and 7z. (which are the ones i used as an example)

Code: Select all

9.Type=1
10.Type=0
10.AssociateWith=4
10.Title="Bandizip Open File"
10.Program="%OpenXXDir%\..\Bandizip-x64\Bandizip64.exe"
10.Arguments="/open %FileNames%"
10.WorkingDir="%FileDir%"
10.Icon="%OpenXXDir%\..\Bandizip-x64\Bandizip64.exe"
10.FileTypes="*.zip;*.rar;*.7z"
11.Type=0
11.AssociateWith=0
11.Title="Bandizip Add to archive..."
11.Program="%OpenXXDir%\..\Bandizip-x64\Bandizip64.exe"
11.Arguments="/archive_dlg "" %FilePaths%"
11.WorkingDir="%FileDir%"
11.Icon="%OpenXXDir%\..\Bandizip-x64\Bandizip64.exe"
11.FileTypes=""
12.Type=0
12.AssociateWith=1
12.Title="Bandizip Extract Here"
12.Program="%OpenXXDir%\..\Bandizip-x64\Bandizip64.exe"
12.Arguments="/extract "%FileDir%" %FileNames%"
12.WorkingDir="%FileDir%"
12.Icon="%OpenXXDir%\..\Bandizip-x64\Bandizip64.exe"
12.FileTypes="*.zip;*.rar;*.7z"
13.Type=0
13.AssociateWith=1
13.Title="Bandizip Extract each archive to separate folder"
13.Program="%OpenXXDir%\..\Bandizip-x64\Bandizip64.exe"
13.Arguments="/extract_filenamedest "%FileDir%" %FileNames%"
13.WorkingDir="%FileDir%"
13.Icon="%OpenXXDir%\..\Bandizip-x64\Bandizip64.exe"
13.FileTypes="*.zip;*.rar;*.7z"
14.Type=0
14.AssociateWith=1
14.Title="Bandizip Extract Automatically"
14.Program="%OpenXXDir%\..\Bandizip-x64\Bandizip64.exe"
14.Arguments="/extract_autodest "%FileDir%" %FileNames%"
14.WorkingDir="%FileDir%"
14.Icon="%OpenXXDir%\..\Bandizip-x64\Bandizip64.exe"
14.FileTypes="*.zip;*.rar;*.7z"
15.Type=1
For those using Open++ to add Bandizip to their context menu, I've tweaked the "Add to Archive" option so it's relative to where the ZIP is being created.

Code: Select all

Title: Add to archive...
Program / Icon: %OpenXXDir%\..\Bandizip\Bandizip64.exe (change this to whatever)
Arguments: /archive_dlg %FileDir%Example.zip %FilePaths% (change .zip to whatever file extension you want to change it to)
Working Directory: %FileDir%
Associate with: Multiple Files or Folders
When you use this, Bandizip is smart enough to highlight "Example" so you can rename the archive to whatever you want quite easily.
is it stealth? ;)

joby_toss

#44 Post by joby_toss »

Should we add instructions to the database entry for making the 64 bit version portable?
Something like:
1. Extract the installer bandizip-setup-gl.exe (using 7zip or UE)
2. Open config.ini file and change is_portable = 0 string to is_portable = 1
3. Launch Bandizip64.exe

freakazoid

#45 Post by freakazoid »

joby_toss wrote:Should we add instructions to the database entry for making the 64 bit version portable?
Something like:
1. Extract the installer bandizip-setup-gl.exe (using 7zip or UE)
2. Open config.ini file and change is_portable = 0 string to is_portable = 1
3. Launch Bandizip64.exe
I'd say it's worth noting.
is it stealth? ;)