Ocenaudio - Cross Platform Audio Editor

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
zorro

Re: Ocenaudio stealth status

#31 Post by zorro »

Portability and stealth of the official "portable" version:
portable: yes
stealth: no
Details:
- leaves folder "ocenaudio" in AppData\Roaming\ behind
. creates QT-key in registry, if a VST-plugin is used (no matter which one)
- of course the portability and stealth-status of VST-plugins themselves is another story....

Useful to know when writing a launcher: the "ocenaudio.exe" itsself is only a launcher that loads the settings and starts "lib\ocen_no_config.exe".
So using "start /wait "" "ocenaudio.exe" doesn't work, because "ocenaudio.exe" terminates right after the start - and so does the rest of the script...

My launcher (then compiled with Bat-To-Exe-Converter):

Code: Select all

@echo off
start "" "ocenaudio.exe"
:WAITLOOP
tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq ocen_no_config.exe" 2>NUL | find /I /N "ocen_no_config.exe">NUL
if "%ERRORLEVEL%"=="0" goto RUNNING
goto NOTRUNNING
:RUNNING
goto WAITLOOP
:NOTRUNNING
REG DELETE "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\QtProject" /f
rd /s /q %APPDATA%\ocenaudio
exit
Calling "ocen_no_config.exe" directly results in starting the app in default configuration - odd.
Really annoying, because the tasklist-loop cost about 2% CPU - not that it lacks elsewhere, but it's totally unnecessary.

smaragdus

Re: ocenaudio

#32 Post by smaragdus »

@zorro
When I added ocenaudio to the database I carefully checked Registry and AppData- it was at version 3.1.5.0 back then and it didn't leave traces in AppData. If you have this version (3.1.5.0) you can check it yourself that it doesn't write to AppData. At which version ocenaudio started creating an empty folder in AppData I cannot say now.

edit
I contacted the developer of ocenaudio but I doubt I would get any response.

edit
I edited the database entry accordingly.

zorro

Re: Here is New Cross Platform Audio Editer - Ocenaudio

#33 Post by zorro »

Hello smaragdus,
no offence! I just answered to your question regarding stealth.
As for version 3.1.5.0 - I think testing is without benefits. The changelog shows so many fixes and improvements since then - almost all users wll choose an actual version despite the annoying AppData-"feature".

As I'm only editing small files with short workflow, for me the described launcher with loop works ok. If someone does serious work with this software, he wouldn't be bothered by an empty folder in AppData.

...and then there is Wavosaur, which is not so pretty, but pretty small and also supports VST. Well, the handling of plugins is not so straightforward as in OcenAudio, but more professional...

smaragdus

Re: ocenaudio

#34 Post by smaragdus »

@zorro

I did test previous versions of ocenaudio and it turned out that the program is not stealth from version 3.2.0 (released on 2016-12-07). After I added it to the database I used it rarely and never retested its stealth status. Thank you for pointing out that it is no longer stealth. The last stealth version is 3.1.10 (released on 2016-09-19).

I contacted the developer for another issue in the past and I never got response so for me support is non-existent.

zorro

Re: Ocenaudio

#35 Post by zorro »

...perhaps you should mention that you own some electric guitars that you occasionally destroy on stages around the world :lol: - because he seems to be a music guy.

However - regarding the way his portable version is working, it seems he loves complicated stuff... surprisingly, because OcenAudio is not complicated.
At least he offers a version that can be accepted as fairly portable.