Some new apps i found and not listed here

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
djoledj

Some new apps i found and not listed here

#1 Post by djoledj »

i found some apps and tested them with Regshot....
they seem to write none of the registry changes...
Need a second opinion...

These are home pages

ShExView: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.html
(shell extensions viewer)

PDF Bundle: http://www.coolpdf.com
(attaches files to PDF)

PDF Mark: http://www.coolpdf.com
(PDF watermarker creator)

Wkill: http://visualdesigner.fatal.ru/?pg=utl&lng=en&o=lst
(window killer tool)

I 'm not really sure if they are acceptable as portable so i would need a answer on this please... :)

Be good...

AlephX

#2 Post by AlephX »

PDF Mark

Tested. It writes settings in the registry. I think that it is not possible to consider it as portable.

Tested with regshot: 14 values, of which at least 7 significative ones. It writes in the registry the last used folder...

Sorry! :(

By the way: I use a quick trick to understand if an app is portable or not:

I run the app and (depending on the app) I use a folder (to load/save files elaborated by the app) which is not the default prompted one (Usually the windows folder "my documents").

Then I exit and start the application again. If the application opens the last folder again, it means that it wrote settings somewhere.

If you don´t find anything in the application folder (e.g.: myapp.ini, myapp.dat, settings.ini, and so on), it means that it´s sure that settings are written somewhere, usually on C: or in the registry...

It´s quite practical and dumb, but seems to work... :roll:

djoledj

About Wkill

#3 Post by djoledj »

I like the Wkill app whether it wrights to registry or not.

It has a Linux best feature like Xkill.

You mark a friezed window and it just kills it... no need to restart or wait for the motherf....g task manager. :)

Noone has to use it often and it's a prevention tool so i accept it as portable for my needs.

Anyone tried it yet?

AlephX

#4 Post by AlephX »

What you say is interesting: many TPFC users (including me) use apps which are not considered as portable. I would bet, Andrew too!!! :D

For my needs certain apps work good, even if requiring certain runtimes, or even if writing to the registry some settings.

The point is: we all, the ones who dig this site searching apps, need a standard. This standard has been defined quite clearly by Andrew and, even if the discussion must go on, we have a base where to start.

By the way my favorite not portable app which I use regularly is RapidQ, a Basic Bytecode compiler.... 8) I guess that I am a fan of it!

Zach Thibeau

#5 Post by Zach Thibeau »

AlephX wrote:What you say is interesting: many TPFC users (including me) use apps which are not considered as portable. I would bet, Andrew too!!! :D
Me I make it portable. And I make it with my nsis wrappers. I've just updated my MediaPlayerClassicPortable because it writes a file in the appdata folder but because of nsis I got it redirected to my data folder thats included with the Launcher. if you guys need launchers I'm that guy you can ask

Andrew Lee

#6 Post by Andrew Lee »

What you say is interesting: many TPFC users (including me) use apps which are not considered as portable. I would bet, Andrew too!!!
You bet! Personal firewall, Palm Desktop + HotSync Manager etc.

Zach Thibeau

#7 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Andrew Lee wrote:
What you say is interesting: many TPFC users (including me) use apps which are not considered as portable. I would bet, Andrew too!!!
You bet! Personal firewall, Palm Desktop + HotSync Manager etc.
Yeah well my firewall is portable :D and so is my hamachi client as I am one of the developpers of Buri

Andrew Lee

#8 Post by Andrew Lee »

Which firewall are you using that is portable?!

Zach Thibeau

Well

#9 Post by Zach Thibeau »

Well I don't really use it anymore as I don't have any use for it as I mainly use Ubuntu Linux but I'll search my old box (as I have about 5 kicking around) and I'll see if I can get it sent over as the Firewall I use is a Gnu GPL'd

technicolordreamcoat

#10 Post by technicolordreamcoat »

@thibeaz

while you are at it, could you also share your portable hamachi with us,
this is such an awesome app, i would like to have a portable version

:D :D :D

Zach Thibeau

Well

#11 Post by Zach Thibeau »

it can be downloaded at buriproject.info and there is a stipulation you have to download and install hamachi and compile the launcher your self as that is what log me in stated we had to do

djoledj

hey!

#12 Post by djoledj »

You guys are having so much fun. i'm so glad for you. ;)

Smegzor

#13 Post by Smegzor »

http://logmeinwiki.com/wiki/Hamachi:Buri

I have it working on my usb dongle. I managed to follow the instructions so you should be fine :)