[SPYWARE] Maxthon - web browser

Submit portable freeware that you find here. It helps if you include information like description, extraction instruction, Unicode support, whether it writes to the registry, and so on.
JohnTHaller

Re: Maxthon Portable

#16 Post by JohnTHaller »

webfork wrote:Not sure how to react: I definitely like when developers put out natively portable software, but this is kind of a mixed bag. Obviously the extract instructions are more complicated than PA, but there's a dramatic size difference.
We'll help them get it sorted. We've been working with them for a while now. Keep in mind Maxthon actually packages and distributes the PA.c Format version as well, not PortableApps.com. It's just Maxthon France distributes the PAF package as their portable version and Maxthon US distributes this kinda wonky 7-zipped incomplete and less portable version. One is no more natively portable than the other and they use similar methods, it's just that the PAF version is properly portable because it also portablizes paths and things. I'm guessing there was just a communications breakdown.

UPDATE: It was a communications issue. We'll be addressing it and getting things sorted after the Golden Week holiday in China over the next 7 days.
Last edited by JohnTHaller on Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
PortableApps.com - The open standard for portable software | Support Net Neutrality

lautrepay

#17 Post by lautrepay »

webfork wrote:Thoughts?
IMHO, when natively portable versions concur with portabilized versions, the last ones should be listed as alternatives, for two reasons:
1) PortableApps.com has its own site. When redirected to there, the concerned user will find all the information that he/she needs, not only about some specific app, but about the whole project and its benefits, as long as other portabilized software taht are not listed in TPFC. (The same aplies to WinPenPack's portabilized software).
2) The installation procedure of PortableApps.com packages is simple and, even more importantly, standardized. Launch the .paf file and follow the instructions, no more than that is needed. When you do it once you are able to easily install every software packed in the PA.c format. (The same aplies to WinPenPack's portabilized software).
On the other hand, there's a wide range of procedures to install a natively portable application, from the simplest (unzip and run) to the more complex (uniextract, create .ini files with x content, rename the executable, etc.).
Taking into account that is not possible to know in advance which one is the correct for each case, and sometimes the information about how to make an application behave natively portable is really difficult to find, becomes natural to dedicate more space to better inform those visitors who are most in need, regardless of the virtues of each portable version (native or portabilized)
So, is not a question of personal preferences, but convenience and to assure a better service.
In this case in particular, since there is an attempt to discard this 7z package version in favour of the PA.c format, I think is better to wait a reasonable lapse to see the results.

webfork

#18 Post by webfork »

If I'm reading your post right, that's the current policy: listing natively portable applications followed by an "alternate" mention with any packaged apps. As to waiting a bit to see if Maxthon switches their official portable version over to PA's version, that seems only fair: right now PA is waiting on a program that's listed by the program devs as the official portable version.

Which reminds me...

Edit: a thread (not the only one) that discusses the what to list first policy.

webfork

#19 Post by webfork »

Old thread update: the Maxthon folks are still listing the 7z as the portable version on their home page.

After some issues with Firefox on my android device, I've been enjoying Maxthon's speed and responsiveness, so I've been following their activity, but does anyone even use this program?

guinness

#20 Post by guinness »

I just downloaded this today when I saw >> http://www.ghacks.net/2012/04/16/maxtho ... g-in-town/ Sometimes I use Firefox as they have better HTML5 support for wordpress (I know I'm an Opera fan) but since Maxthon appears speedier and less buggy than Firefox, this will be my new Firefox. Until Opera 12 is released.

freakazoid

#21 Post by freakazoid »

Interesting that Maxthon has better HTML5 support.

I guess their Webkit renderer is more up-to-date than the current release versions of Chromium and Safari.
Would have liked to see a HTML5 comparison of Maxthon and the dev version of Chromium to see if the scores hold up.

Edit: Just gave Maxthon a try and it's really nice! I'm digging the level of customization you can do. Too bad they have their own extension system. Would have liked to see Maxthon use Chrome's extensions.
is it stealth? ;)

guinness

#22 Post by guinness »

This was posted on Ghacks yesterday >> http://www.ghacks.net/2012/04/16/six-ma ... nd-useful/

webfork

#23 Post by webfork »

This thread is missing a direct link to the entry so...
http://www.portablefreeware.com/index.php?id=301

Been using Maxathon a bunch lately and wanted to comment on a few things ...

Good
  • Love the way it will open up a new session (so you can log into multiple gmail profiles for example) or a new private session. No closing other windows, no messing with profiles. Definitely a feature other browsers should adopt.
  • Picture quicksave feature is excellent. You hold ctrl and click the image and it saves. Perfect.
  • The Boss key is great, but one of my window managers also used the CTRL+` key, so I changed it.
Wishlist
  • Needs an option to include a stronger indicator that the private mode is enabled rather than just a shield icon in the top-right corner. Possibly a red outline around the window. Firefox does this by hiding your active session until you leave private mode, which makes sense but can be annoying.
  • This program has a ton of features so while you're using it, you get a lot of "notification" of included features. Wish there was a "don't show me these again" button.
  • Cleaner, simpler interface ... current one has too many buttons
  • Ability to split screen horrizontally. it makes more sense to have it vertical only if you have a very large screen.
  • Ability to disable the popups. So when you're in Gmail it will bring up these notifications that you got a gmail message. That's fantastic if you want that but when you don't want that, there doesn't appear to be any way to turn it off. The "popup msgs" option under the advanced options can be unchecked, but has no effect.
  • Sniffer utility for downloading component that works with YouTube. I coudn't find the file out of a very long list of available files.

SYSTEM

#24 Post by SYSTEM »

webfork wrote: [*]Picture quicksave feature is excellent. You hold ctrl and click the image and it saves. Perfect.
Offtopic: Opera has that feature as well. :P
My YouTube channel | Release date of my 13th playlist: August 24, 2020

guinness

#25 Post by guinness »

SYSTEM wrote:
webfork wrote: [*]Picture quicksave feature is excellent. You hold ctrl and click the image and it saves. Perfect.
Offtopic: Opera has that feature as well. :P
Neat trick!

webfork

#26 Post by webfork »

I came across an article that explains why it's called "Maxthon Cloud":
  • "Maxthon Cloud, as the name suggests, provides a cloud service that performs several useful functions. It syncs browsing data across all your computers, tablets and smartphones (iOS and Android) like Google Chrome does. You can also send a web link from your desktop to your smartphone or tablet."
Unfortunately, despite the very positive review (I've never seen this site before so the review wouldn't mean much to me either way), the first paragraph outlines why I'd avoid it:
  • "Maxthon Cloud is a browser that takes the engines from Internet Explorer and Chrome and adds a new skin and features. The current version of Chrome is 26, but Maxthon uses version 22. However, Chrome is updated so frequently that v22 is only around six months old."

tproli

#27 Post by tproli »

I'm using Maxthon Cloud for some days now and decided to switch from Opera until it gets polished (if ever).

I like that Maxthon has the subset of the top features I used in Opera, e.g.
- sync
- mouse gestures (though invisible trail option would be great)
- magic fill (wand)
- utilities (screen capture, resource sniffer, etc.)

Best of all is that because of webkit web apps run just fine while in Opera there was always a question mark if it will work or not. I could switch back to Gmail standard instead of the old html view because in Opera it behaved very unreliably.

I was having trouble with proxy but it was fixed in the latest beta (4.1.0.600).
The "cloud" features is out of my interest but fortunately I could easily remove it by deleting the folder "Addons\CloudsSvc".

Overall I like it very much though Opera did the same (and more) much smoothly.

joby_toss

#28 Post by joby_toss »

There is one thing I don't like about Maxthon: the country of origin. They fu..ed me up so many times with their shi..y products that I came close to hating them!

webfork

#29 Post by webfork »

joby_toss wrote:There is one thing I don't like about Maxthon: the country of origin. They fu..ed me up so many times with their shi..y products that I came close to hating them!
Given the extremely connected nature of manufacturing (and increasingly software), it's very difficult to boycott an individual country, especially China.

Midas

Re: Maxthon Nitro

#30 Post by Midas »

Maxthon released v1.1.0.800 beta of its Nitro browser (http://usa.maxthon.com/nitro/).
  • [url]http://usa.maxthon.com/nitro/[/url] author wrote:Maxthon's Nitro Web Browser is the newest addition to Maxthon's family of high-performance web browsers. If you want the fastest-starting, quickest page-loading, and most visually uncluttered web browser in the world, you’ve come to the right place. If you are one of the millions of web surfers who don’t want to mess with complicated features like ad blockers, extensions and cloud services, this is the web browser for you. Maxthon's Nitro web browser was built from the ground up to minimize start-up time, page rendering speed, and improve stability.